OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:47:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21
Author Topic: OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread  (Read 29865 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »

Posted on the DailyKos:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They've still got to do it by Saturday though
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »

Last second e-prayer to the Obama Campaign....

Dear Obama,

I dont ask for much, but I really need this one. Please, Obama, please, dont pick Biden. He makes me so no fired up. Sad

--Zach

PS: I guess that leaves you with this guy.....

Can I get a Whoop Whoop?

Speed, I thought you were a leftist! That guy in your picture is unacceptable.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2008, 08:15:13 PM »

Posted on the DailyKos:

They've still got to do it by Saturday though

That gives them time to consider my e-prayer! Cheesy
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2008, 09:01:26 PM »

Keith Olberman mentioned on 'Countdown' tonight that Howard Fineman had just talked to one of the final three contenders who told that he was told he wasn't the pick, but was told who would be.

Anyone interested in seeing this for themself should be able to see it again when tonight's show is reran at 10:00 EST. It was at the start of the second half, so you should check in around 10:30.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2008, 09:04:36 PM »

Obama's comment about wanting somebody who will be to help on the economy makes me think more of Bayh than it does Biden.

What about Kaine? I figure since he said nothing of national security he's going to make a collosal mistake and pick someone who has less experience than he does.

For me, the lack of a mention about national security wasn't so much an indicator as his mention of the economy. And Bayh has the most experience with the economy when compared to Biden and Kaine.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2008, 09:20:37 PM »

Keith Olberman mentioned on 'Countdown' tonight that Howard Fineman had just talked to one of the final three contenders who told that he was told he wasn't the pick, but was told who would be.

If that is actually true, then I can't believe the identity of the pick will remain a secret for more than another few hours.  If some of the VP also rans are already telling reporters that it's not them, but they know who it is.....this secret isn't going to last very long.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2008, 09:39:51 PM »

Drip.. drip...drip

C'MON, LEAK ALREADY

If I can find out who it is first, and it's Bayh, a lot of Scotch Whiskey is going in my belly tonight.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2008, 10:03:26 PM »

If that is actually true, then I can't believe the identity of the pick will remain a secret for more than another few hours.  If some of the VP also rans are already telling reporters that it's not them, but they know who it is.....this secret isn't going to last very long.

...which of the final three is most likely to blurt out to a reporter that he isn't the pick when Obama clearly wouldn't want him to?  *cough coughBidencough cough*

That is, if Keith is right.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »

I still hope they're bluffing.  Honestly, Clinton would be a better pick than the 'final three' contenders.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2008, 10:13:32 PM »

I still hope they're bluffing.  Honestly, Clinton would be a better pick than the 'final three' contenders.

I don't know, I think Bayh would be a little bit better than Clinton. Kaine and Biden = No.

In actuality while I still harbor some resentment towards Clinton she really wouldn't make a horribel VP choice right now.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2008, 10:14:33 PM »

^^^^^

Though she'd still be bad.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2008, 10:22:03 PM »

While I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it, Clinton makes a lot of practical sense.

I still say Bayh or Biden - with a slight edge to Bayh.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2008, 10:23:24 PM »

Bayh is marginally pro-life... don't see how his selection wouldn't completely alienate the base.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »

Bayh is marginally pro-life... don't see how his selection wouldn't completely alienate the base.

From what I've read - he's opposed to partial-birth and wants certain restrictions on abortions. While not perfect, I don't think Obama picking Bayh would cause the sort of implosion that McCain picking Ridge or Lieberman could.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2008, 10:29:08 PM »

He'd simply do what every single other politician does; change his position. Although it says a lot about the "base" if an issue such as abortion actually affects their decision.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2008, 10:30:38 PM »

And now for something completely different....

TIME:
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2008, 10:33:06 PM »

TIME:

If the announcement is going to be made on Friday, why would I bet for it on Saturday?
skoods
United States

« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2008, 10:34:26 PM »

He's anti-partial birth and he's going to be vice-president. I don't see how it's that big of a deal. He wouldn't nominate judges that are hardcore pro-life like McCain would. Sometimes I think progressives would rather lose an election than nominate anyone who isn't a far-leftist.

cough wanting Feingold as VP cough.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2008, 10:36:31 PM »

Sometimes I think progressives would rather lose an election than nominate anyone who isn't a far-leftist.

Given the circumstances in which Obama beat Clinton, I just don't think it would be wise to pick a pro-life-ish VP.

I'm sure Obama knows that too.  Biden, Kaine, and Bayh are all bad picks.  The campaign is trying to throw off the media.
skoods
United States

« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2008, 10:39:05 PM »

TIME:

While this doesn't seem like extremely credible info, it is depressing. Oh well, Biden is better than Kaine. Let's hope the GOP doesn't smear him too much because of his past (of course they will).
skoods
United States

« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2008, 10:40:25 PM »

Sometimes I think progressives would rather lose an election than nominate anyone who isn't a far-leftist.

Given the circumstances in which Obama beat Clinton, I just don't think it would be wise to pick a pro-life-ish VP.

I'm sure Obama knows that too.  Biden, Kaine, and Bayh are all bad picks.  The campaign is trying to throw off the media.

The only way to get those Clinton voters back is to choose Clinton and even that might not be enough since she'd still be #2 to a man.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2008, 10:43:23 PM »

Well... there really isn't anyone who ticks the necessary boxes.

By what Obama said about the pick being someone who challenges him - it therefore suggests either a primary rival or someone who supported Clinton.

I think those comments are to soften up his supporters - to be a little pragmatic - so I understand why Clinton's stocks are rising - especially with the polling showing this weakness.

Obama's strongest numbers came about after the Clinton withdrawral and I think some soft-Obama Clinton voters have fallen back into the undecided column.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2008, 10:50:28 PM »

More minor news:

Obama had a hard time with the experience vs. change decision
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/21/source-obama-was-hung-up-on-change-vs-experience/

(CNN) — The VP choice was a difficult one for Obama, a source close to the Illinois senator tells CNN's Gloria Borger.

Specifically Obama was "very hung up on the experience versus change,” the source said, and how his message of change may conflict with a longtime Washington insider.

The source doesn't know who Obama ultimately chose, but confirms Sens. Joe Biden and Evan Bayh, along with Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine are all in the running.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2008, 10:50:41 PM »

TIME:

Great. These are the two guys I hope end up on their respective tickets. Tad worried how the average independent will see Romney, but in the end I think he’d be a net gain of votes, however small. And of course, I view Biden as an accomplished senator and would not mind seeing him in the Whitehouse on his own merits one day. Just not this year, ha ha.

If this happens, I’m also pretty sure this would be the first time in American history where all four people on the national tickets would have run for president in this cycle. We’re just breaking down barriers everyday, it seems.
ZamboniDriver
Yzerman19
Rookie
United States

« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2008, 10:58:38 PM »

BIG NEWS
http://www.wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=8881157&nav=0RYb

Friday morning on the early show, Harry Smith talks one-on--one exclusively with Obama  That begins right after Newschannel 15's First News, at 7:00 am, right here on WANE-TV.

FORT WAYNE INDIANA?HuhHuh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think that's anything for speculation.  That's just the local CBS station advertising the CBS morning show interview. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies