OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:32:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Author Topic: OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread  (Read 29747 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2008, 07:52:40 PM »
« edited: August 23, 2008, 12:18:42 AM by Lunar »

I don't want to post a topic every time I have a cool story.  So I'm going to post them here and I encourage others to as well.

Obama Uses "He" Pronoun When Discussing His VP
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/08/obama-uses-he-p.html
"Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, is almost always diligent about saying "he or she" when discussing his potential running mate.

But at a lively town hall meeting in the Tarheel State Tuesday evening, the senator -- who is expected to announce his vice presidential pick at the end of this week -- used a decidedly male pronoun.

Asked what his plan is to utilize his vice president as President Bush utilized his, Obama said, "Let me tell you first what I won’t do. I won’t hand over my energy policy to my vice president, without knowing necessarily what he’s doing."

Virginian officialls called in to discuss line of succession
http://www.palmettoscoop.com/2008/08/19/insider-virginia-gov-held-line-of-succession-meeting/

A source inside the beltway informed me that high ranking officials throughout Virginia were recently summoned to the governor's office for an emergency meeting which reportedly involved discussions on the line of succession if and when Kaine steps down to become Obama's running mate.

The officials were mandated to leave an out-of-state conference and return to the state capitol in Richmond immediately.

Due to the confidential nature of the meeting, details are scarce but the source said that either Obama will choose Kaine, or Kaine was given the impression that he would be chosen.

Biden on Obama's VP Pick: 'I'm Not The Guy'
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/08/biden-on-obamas.html

As Delaware Sen. Joe Biden was leaving his house in Wilmington this afternoon, he slowed down and said to the gathered news reporters outside his home: "Hey guys, I'm not the guy. See ya."

UPDATE:

Biden returned from his outing to dial back his "its not me" statement from earlier.

He rolled down his passenger side window and said to reporters don't you have anything better to do?

The "It's not me" from earlier is now "I have not spoken with anyone" repeated several times to several different questions.

Have you spoken to the Obama campaign?

"I have not spoken to anyone."

So you're not ruling out you could be picked?

"I have not spoken to anyone."

"You guys know as well as I do,' he said as he drove down his driveway with admonitions that your staker outers should be careful on the treacherous road outside his house.
skoods
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:57:19 PM »

Ugh no no no Kaine...anyone but Kaine.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 08:01:04 PM »

Ugh no no no Kaine...anyone but Kaine.

Probably won't be.  This story is a bit old but relevant:

Kaine earn's VP Silver Medal
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/13/AR2008081304137.html?hpid=topnews

A source close to Kaine said this past Tuesday night -- before yesterday morning's announcement about Warner -- that the governor believed he would "get the silver medal" in the vice presidential sweepstakes. Obama's decision to make security the theme on the night his running mate speaks is regarded by party observers as a subtle hint that Kaine and other governors without foreign policy credentials might be less likely choices.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 09:00:15 PM »

Significant because one of the themes for the VP's selection day is bipartisanship.

Cross Hagel off the long-shot list and onto the cabinet list
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/08/12/veep-stakes-cross-hagel-off-the-obama-list/

A spokesman for Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska offered one of the more Shermanesque statements today responding to the ongoing chatter of whether there’s a place for Hagel on Barack Obama’s vice presidential short-list.

The talk sparked again after former Iowa Republican Rep. Jim Leach, in a conference call discussing his support for Obama, said he viewed Hagel as a top choice to be the Democrat’s running mate.

Hagel, who is retiring from the Senate, traveled with Obama on his recent trip to Iraq, and he has not endorsed either Obama or Republican colleague John McCain in the race. Jordan Stark, Hagel’s spokesman, made it clear that it’s going to stay that way.

“Senator Hagel has no intention in getting involved in any of the campaigns, and is not planning to endorse either candidate,” Stark said in a statement. “He will be in Central and South America during both conventions on official travel. Senator Hagel is focused on his job serving the people of Nebraska as a United States Senator.”

Got it?

Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:03:52 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2008, 11:02:47 PM by Dave Leip »

Barry once again reiterates the qualities he is looking for in a running mate at a townhall rally in North Carolina, which sounds to me that he has already made his decision.

His running mate will "shares his passion", has "integrity", who is in politics "for the right reasons".

Link

Reading between the lines, I would say Tim Kaine.   Hilarious.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »

Not Kaine. Please.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:10:21 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2008, 11:03:23 PM by Dave Leip »

Barry once again reiterates the qualities he is looking for in a running mate at a townhall rally in North Carolina, which sounds to me that he has already made his decision.

His running mate will "shares his passion", has "integrity", who is in politics "for the right reasons".

Link

There's nobody he could pick that you wouldn't find "hilarious", so who cares?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 09:11:25 PM »

It'd be a better choice than Bayh, that's for sure.
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »

Another theory of mine as to why Obama is waiting later in the week in unveiling his running mate:  if it's indeed Kaine, Obama does not want the potential embarrasment of his running mate selection not giving him a significant bump in the tracking polls, since Kaine is such an unknown and looks funny.

Kaine = epic fail.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:14:14 PM »

Another theory of mine as to why Obama is waiting later in the week in unveiling his running mate:  if it's indeed Kaine, Obama does not want the potential embarrasment of his running mate selection not giving him a significant bump in the tracking polls, since Kaine is such an unknown and looks funny.

Kaine = epic fail.

And why would Obama intentionally pick someone he feels is an embarrassment again?

Your idea works just as well for Bayh.  It makes sense that Obama's campaign doesn't want to give the media time to cover the far left's outrage over Bayh before his convention speech.
skoods
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 09:14:28 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2008, 11:03:54 PM by Dave Leip »

Link

He has to say that...what's he going to say? "My running mate will be an A-hole who doesn't like America and is stupid."? Come on.
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 09:17:35 PM »

Not true.  I would find someone like Bill Nelson somewhat of a pleasant surprise, and I would be the first to praise Obama in his choice, if for no other reason that it would be unexpected and the campaign should be commended for holding a thing this big in total secrecy.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:26:02 PM »

Kaine would be the best choice. He can help with electoral votes unlike the other two leading candidates. He's nearly perfect on the issues and he didn't vote to lead the country into one of the greatest foreign policy disasters ever. He's always a great campaigner, he did a terrific job on Meet The Press Sunday even Chris Cillizza of the Washington Post gave him a gold medal for his performance. The visual image of Obama and Kaine together is more appealing than the other possible tickets.
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 09:43:38 PM »

Bayh-haters, there is yet another reason to rejoice.

His wife's corporate ties raises conflict-of-interest issues that may be harming Bayh's chances in the 11th hour of the Messiah's Choosing.   The last thing Obama needs is a running mate with Ferraro spouse issues.

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/local/27150089.html

And for the record: I would totally do Susan Bayh.
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 10:06:23 PM »

CBS News now confirming the Obama campaign plans to announce their decision to supporters via email and text on Friday afternoon?

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/08/19/politics/horserace/entry4364243.shtml

Jesus.  What sort of horrendous choice does Obama have in store for us that he has to announce it on the day traditionally reserved for announcing bad news?   LOL
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 10:21:22 PM »

AFAIK, CBS is still the lone source to report as fact that the timing of the announcement will definitely be Friday afternoon, and they're not even doing it in a regular news story.  It's in a blog post on the "Horserace" blog.  So I remain a little skeptical until other outlets report it too.  Marc Ambinder (which the CBS blog post references) had earlier suggested it might be Friday, but is now walking that back, saying maybe Thursday:

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/08/obama_what_we_know_and_dont_kn.php

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 10:41:02 PM »

Michael Moore wants Carolina Kennedy to select.... herself!
http://www.opednews.com/articles/-Caroline-Pull-a-Cheney--by-from-Michael-Moore-080819-372.html

Here's the juicy parts:

As for Governor Kaine of Virginia, his big problem is, well, Obama's big problem -- who is he? The toughest thing Barack has had to overcome -- and it will continue to be his biggest obstacle -- is that too many of the voters simply don't know him well enough to vote for him. The fact that Obama is new to the scene is both one of his most attractive qualities AND his biggest drawback. Too many Americans, who on the surface seem to like Barack Obama, just don't feel comfortable voting for someone who hasn't been on the national scene very long. It's a comfort level thing, and it may be just what keeps Obama from winning in November ("I'd rather vote for the devil I know than the devil I don't know").

What Obama needs is a vice presidential candidate who is NOT a professional politician, but someone who is well-known and beloved by people across the political spectrum; someone who, like Obama, spoke out against the war; someone who has a good and generous heart, who will be cheered by the rest of the world; someone whom we've known and loved and admired all our lives and who has dedicated her life to public service and to the greater good for all.

That person, Caroline, is you.

Michael Moore also signs with an AOL.com email address.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 10:46:37 PM »

Michael Moore wants Carolina Kennedy to select.... herself!
http://www.opednews.com/articles/-Caroline-Pull-a-Cheney--by-from-Michael-Moore-080819-372.html

Here's the juicy parts:

As for Governor Kaine of Virginia, his big problem is, well, Obama's big problem -- who is he? The toughest thing Barack has had to overcome -- and it will continue to be his biggest obstacle -- is that too many of the voters simply don't know him well enough to vote for him. The fact that Obama is new to the scene is both one of his most attractive qualities AND his biggest drawback. Too many Americans, who on the surface seem to like Barack Obama, just don't feel comfortable voting for someone who hasn't been on the national scene very long. It's a comfort level thing, and it may be just what keeps Obama from winning in November ("I'd rather vote for the devil I know than the devil I don't know").

What Obama needs is a vice presidential candidate who is NOT a professional politician, but someone who is well-known and beloved by people across the political spectrum; someone who, like Obama, spoke out against the war; someone who has a good and generous heart, who will be cheered by the rest of the world; someone whom we've known and loved and admired all our lives and who has dedicated her life to public service and to the greater good for all.

That person, Caroline, is you.

Michael Moore also signs with an AOL.com email address.

not long ago, i was on another message board and a democrat also suggested the caroline kennedy for vp idea.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »

They just love the sound of Obama/Kennedy and they know that there would be very little backlash among women.

But seriously.  The VP search team is the biggest amount of managerial experience she's had in her entire life by an order of magnitude.  I mean, she's worked in an art museum and as a lawyer and that's it.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »

I imagine that Susan Bayh's corporate connections would've come up during vetting. Would Bayh have ended up being a finalist if those connections would cause any problems?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 11:30:20 PM »

Howard Fineman of Newsweek writes this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26288748/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 11:36:04 PM »

Why not Jack Reed instead of Biden?

Oh well, as long as it isn't Bayh.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 11:42:04 PM »

Reed has already indicated that he doesn't want the job, and would turn it down if offered.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 11:43:47 PM »

Note on Morden's post, the strategist did not say that he would bet his life on Biden, only that if you put a gun to his head he would say Biden.  That's a pretty weak prognosis haha.

Reed wouldn't submit to being vetted.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-clemons/why-radio-silence-can-be_b_119933.html

Wesley Clark and Bill Richardson were not seriously considered according to sources -- and Jack
Reed, who Obama likes a great deal, would not allow himself to be vetted. I don't believe Chris Dodd was high on the list.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 11:45:29 PM »

I think Evan Bayh will be Obama's VP.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to: