OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:42:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Author Topic: OFFICIAL Vice President leaks, tips, and speculation thread  (Read 29475 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »

An Obama aide has denied the report of a big Saturday event in Indiana:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12659.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2008, 02:47:16 PM »

Sebelius declines to speculate
http://cjonline.com/stories/082008/bre_veep.shtml

“I don’t have any idea,” Sebelius said before a ceremony at Fort Riley.

Obama, the presumed Democratic presidential nominee, was thought to have narrowed his list of potential running mates to four, including Sebelius. The others are Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden and Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine.

Sebelius declined to speculate about her chances today. At Fort Riley to participate in a ceremony marking an agreement meant to strengthen ties between the Army post and surrounding communities, Sebelius said she was focused on her duties as governor.

“As I’ve told you for months, all questions about the process and the timetable come from the campaign,” Sebelius said.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2008, 02:48:27 PM »

Obama says Kaine is a wonderful governor
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/20/obama-kaine-doing-such-a-great-job/

After giving a shout out to perceived vice presidential shortlister Sen. Joe Biden on Tuesday, Obama praised another leading contender, Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, while campaigning Wednesday in the southern part of the state.

With former Virginia governor – and U.S. Senate candidate - Mark Warner at his side, Obama applauded the two governors for the worked they’ve done to make cars more fuel-efficient.

“We’ve got to partner with our governors to come up with these plans the way that Mark Warner did such a wonderful job when he was governor and the way that Tim Kaine is currently doing such a great job as governor of Virginia.”
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2008, 04:08:29 PM »

Nunn says he's not being vetted
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/politicalinsider/entries/2008/08/18/nunn_on_the_russiangeorgian_co.html

Anything new on the vice presidential front?

The answer to that is no. All I know is what I read in the newspapers.

Has the Obama campaign asked you to submit documents for a background check?

The only person who’s asking about my assets, my liabilities, the way I’m spending my money, where that money is coming from, primarily, is my wife. And there’s nothing I can do about that.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2008, 04:11:47 PM »

i do not believe nunn was ever under serious consideration.

it was obama throwing a bone to white, southern males.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2008, 04:14:45 PM »

i do not believe nunn was ever under serious consideration.

it was obama throwing a bone to white, southern males.

True.  I thought it was odd that Obama said his three most trusted advisers were his wife, his grandmother, and Nunn (whom he rarely talks to and probably barely knows).  When I looked up how Nunn voted against the Iraq War I thought it was him for a few hours before I came to my senses and held onto my Bayh prediction.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2008, 07:42:24 PM »

Thanks Nym for unlocking this thread.  Dave, if you lock it again could you hit me up so I can understand what I did wrong for the future?  Cheers.

For some reason, my VP tips thread was locked, so here is a relevant story:

Rush endorses Biden
link
Conservative talk radio titan Rush Limbaugh relished the prospect of an Obama-Biden Democratic presidential ticket on his broadcast Wednesday.

“I really hope it’s Biden,” Limbaugh told his listeners. “You don’t want to say that too loud, but I really do hope that it’s Joe Biden, because we’ve got mountains of archival audio on Joe Biden.”

“Plus, the arrogance factor times two,” Rush added. “Biden and the Messiah would just be delicious.”

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »

“I really hope it’s Biden,” Limbaugh told his listeners. “You don’t want to say that too loud, but I really do hope that it’s Joe Biden, because we’ve got mountains of archival audio on Joe Biden.”

“Plus, the arrogance factor times two,” Rush added. “Biden and the Messiah would just be delicious.” [/i]

Wow, I've found myself agreeing with Rush twice in the same week! Insane!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2008, 10:15:29 PM »

When I looked up how Nunn voted against the Iraq War I thought it was him for a few hours before I came to my senses and held onto my Bayh prediction.

To clarify, it was the Gulf War that Nunn voted against.  Nunn was already out of the Senate at the time of the Iraq War vote.  But he was publicly against the Iraq War at the beginning, as I understand it.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2008, 10:17:43 PM »

Wow, I don't think anyone can disagree with the suggestion that Obama's camp is doing a great job with this unveil.  About five hundred misleading hints in one day alone.  Bravo.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »

When I looked up how Nunn voted against the Iraq War I thought it was him for a few hours before I came to my senses and held onto my Bayh prediction.

To clarify, it was the Gulf War that Nunn voted against.  Nunn was already out of the Senate at the time of the Iraq War vote.  But he was publicly against the Iraq War at the beginning, as I understand it.

Oops!  Well, that's even better, it makes him fit in with Obama.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2008, 10:45:14 PM by Eraserhead »

Wow, I don't think anyone can disagree with the suggestion that Obama's camp is doing a great job with this unveil.  About five hundred misleading hints in one day alone.  Bravo.

If confusing the press and people like us is what they're going for, I agree. It flips from Bayh to Biden to Kaine every 15 minutes.

Now, it would be truly hilarious if it was somebody outside of those three.
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2008, 10:42:32 PM »

Hillary will be in California this weekend...this may suggest that she's really out of the running....I know it has been said all along...but I still had some hope.

http://www.fresnobee.com/updates/story/811694.html

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2008, 10:50:11 PM »

Hillary will be in California this weekend...this may suggest that she's really out of the running....I know it has been said all along...but I still had some hope.

http://www.fresnobee.com/updates/story/811694.html

I think I'll be in Fresno around the time. I should go check it out.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2008, 10:51:46 PM »

For what it's worth, according to Dick Durbin, Obama is still undecided and is still mulling his choices as of this afternoon.

"He was going through each name, talking about pluses and minuses," said Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin. "I just told him the bottom line -- he knows it -- pick a person you can work with who can help lead this country."

http://www.nbc5.com/politics/17247535/detail.html?rss=chi&psp=news

Damn.  From my take on this article, it appears Obama was never intending to pull a choice from left field.  Sad
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2008, 10:53:57 PM »

He's still unsure? Maybe we really won't know until Saturday.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 08:58:49 AM »

Biden's son will be deployed to Iraq on October 3rd, which happens to be just 1 day after the vice presidential debate in St. Louis:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/08/20/bidens_son_off_to_iraq.html
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2008, 09:12:32 AM »

Oo oo.  Here's a big clue:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/21/1280082.aspx

You must be logged in to read this quote.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2008, 10:05:58 AM »

Here's what I've uncovered about Obama's schedule today:

Obama is right now at an invitation only gathering with Tim Kaine in Richmond (it started at 10:30am Eastern):

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-08-21-0157.html

After that, Obama heads down to Chesapeake (without Kaine), which is about 2 hours' drive away (though he may be flying....I don't know....with Secret Service, that might be easier).  There's a town hall meeting in Chesapeake:

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/stories/wvec_local_082008_obama_chesapeake.17310f17.html

Doors open for that town hall meeting at 4:30pm, but I don't know what time the event actually starts.  Anyway, assuming that the event in Richmond doesn't go on for hours and hours, that leaves Obama a few hours in the afternoon, where all he's doing is going from Richmond to Chesapeake (and he could certainly talk on the phone in the car or the plane, as somone else will be driving/flying him).

Howard Fineman said that one of the VP contenders indicated that the Obama people told him to be available for a call on Thursday afternoon.  So it's entirely plausible that Obama will be calling his VP choice this afternoon, and then calling the finalists who were not chosen after that.  Once that happens, the Obama campaign will probably send out the announcement, because it's only a matter of time before it leaks once that many people know.

Of course, that's pure speculation on my part.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »

A quick historical note...

Every Democrat who has announced their VP choice before the convention [every pick after the choice of Mondale in '76] has done so at least four days before the convention. 

Today is four days before the convention.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2008, 10:27:47 AM »

Oo oo.  Here's a big clue:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/21/1280082.aspx

You must be logged in to read this quote.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

IF HE FORGETS HIS GYMBAG MAYBE HE WILL FORGET NUCELAR LAUNCH CODEZ

EVAN BAYH, UNFIT 4 SERVICE
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2008, 11:10:31 AM »

BREAKING NEWS:

http://www.wweek.com/wwire/?p=12796
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2008, 11:27:10 AM »

He pushed and kicked my mom back in 1999. I have it on videotape somewhere on my garage. If Obama picks Kaine it's going up on YouTube.
elcorazon

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2008, 11:33:19 AM »

I have video of McCain screwing Hillary, Walter.  And I suspect that you were the filmmaker, actually.  If Hillary is picked as veep, I'm releasing it.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2008, 11:49:16 AM »

guys, iposted that as a joke.

im skeptical as well.

and if true, the old biddy probably deserved a shove.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies