Mark Halperin "almost certain" it will be Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:57:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Mark Halperin "almost certain" it will be Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mark Halperin "almost certain" it will be Romney  (Read 2091 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:26:31 PM »

Aug 19, CNN, Mark Halperin, Time Magazine senior political analyst, says he is almost certain the Republican VP pick will be Mitt Romney.

For what it's worth, Halperin has thrown out the theory, brought up to him by several Republicans, that a name such as Tom Ridge, who is pro choice, was injected into the VP speculation, to emphasize that he could have picked a pro choice candidate, instead of someone like Romney, who at one time some believe was pro choice, but is now pro life.  Some in the Republican Party believe that Romney changed his mind on the abortion issue, and may not be happy that he, in their view, was not always pro choice.  Therefore, they will be pleased with the fact McCain picked a candidate who is now pro life instead of a pro choice candidate.

Halperin also believes that Biden is the favorite to become the Democratic VP nominee.       
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:27:41 PM »

Yeah, I was watching this. Silly logic from Halperin about the whole Pro Choice running mate idea.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:27:46 PM »

Aug 19, CNN, Mark Halperin, Time Magazine senior political analyst, says he is almost certain the Republican VP pick will be Mitt Romney.

For what it's worth, Halperin has thrown out the theory, brought up to him by several Republicans, that a name such as Tom Ridge, who is pro choice, was injected into the VP speculation, to emphasize that he could have picked a pro choice candidate, instead of someone like Romney, who at one time some believe was pro choice, but is now pro life switched so he could win the nomination.  Some in the Republican Party believe that Romney changed his mind on the abortion issue, and may not be happy that he, in their view, was not always pro choice.  Therefore, they will be pleased with the fact McCain picked a candidate who is now pro life instead of a pro choice candidate.    
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 10:31:47 PM »

This really is the year of lackluster running mates (on both sides).
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:32:29 PM »

walter mitty 'almost certain' to vote for obama if romney is the pick/
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 10:49:16 PM »

That's usually the case.  Al Gore and George H.W. Bush are the only two competent running-mates that have been selected in the past 30 years.  The rest of the time you just have to hope the Presidential candidate doesn't die if elected.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 10:50:52 PM »

Out-of-the-loop political analysts are funny.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:52:20 PM »

That's usually the case.  Al Gore and George H.W. Bush are the only two competent running-mates that have been selected in the past 30 years.  The rest of the time you just have to hope the President doesn't die.

I'm not sure I agree. Bentsen was extraordinarily competent. Cheney is competent, just not exactly palatable policy-wise. Edwards, Quayle, and Kemp I agree on, but that's less than half of the VP candidates 1988-2004.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:53:31 PM »

That's usually the case.  Al Gore and George H.W. Bush are the only two competent running-mates that have been selected in the past 30 years.  The rest of the time you just have to hope the Presidential candidate doesn't die if elected.

I disagree.  Bentsen and Lieberman would've made good Presidents as well.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 10:54:08 PM »

That's usually the case.  Al Gore and George H.W. Bush are the only two competent running-mates that have been selected in the past 30 years.  The rest of the time you just have to hope the President doesn't die.

I'm not sure I agree. Bentsen was extraordinarily competent. Cheney is competent, just not exactly palatable policy-wise. Edwards, Quayle, and Kemp I agree on, but that's less than half of the VP candidates 1988-2004.

Yeah I forgot about Bensten, but you also forgot Geraldine Ferraro and Joe Lieberman.  Oh and can we count James Stockdale?
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 10:55:44 PM »

I'd have a lot of trouble voting for any ticket with Romney on it.  He is quite the horrible person.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 10:56:51 PM »

For what it's worth, Halperin has thrown out the theory, brought up to him by several Republicans, that a name such as Tom Ridge, who is pro choice, was injected into the VP speculation, to emphasize that he could have picked a pro choice candidate, instead of someone like Romney, who at one time some believe was pro choice, but is now pro life.  Some in the Republican Party believe that Romney changed his mind on the abortion issue, and may not be happy that he, in their view, was not always pro choice.  Therefore, they will be pleased with the fact McCain picked a candidate who is now pro life instead of a pro choice candidate.

Halperin also believes that Biden is the favorite to become the Democratic VP nominee.       

Halperin's theory lacks elegance about Mitt. It is a wheels within wheels thing, and instead of elegance, has that Rube Goldberg aspect to it. Analyses that revert to Byzantine constructs are usually wrong. The place is more frequented by conspiracy afficianados than other zip codes in my experience.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 11:00:29 PM »

I think this would cost McCain the election.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 11:15:37 PM »

from nytimes.com

You must be logged in to read this quote.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 11:20:32 PM »

from nytimes.com

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's good news -- McCain needs someone a lot more interesting (which Romney might have been if he didn't run for President)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »

Two points

1.  It was not Halperin's theory.  As I stated, and as Halperin stated on CNN, it is a theory given to him by various Republicans.  I do not have the verbatim dialogue so my interpretation could be a bit off.

2.  Although I believe Romney is best qualified, as I have stated on several occasions, I am not saying myself that Romney will for sure be the VP nominee.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »

Shut up.

Stop making threads every time some analyst says it's Romney.  It's not only a waste of bandwidth, but also of my, and everyone else's, time.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 11:56:18 PM »

Shut up.

Stop making threads every time some analyst says it's Romney.  It's not only a waste of bandwidth, but also of my, and everyone else's, time.

Have you seen his Gergen threads? Almost makes this one seem reasonable.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »

Shut up.

Well, my friend, with your attitude, you have one very clear option in that case, simply ignore any thread I post and, although as much as I enjoy reading your insightful thoughts, not even bothering to reply to any of them.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »

walter mitty 'almost certain' to vote for obama if romney is the pick/

Damn. I hope he's not then.
Pages: [1]