CA bill to require "green cars" to make more noise
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:40:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CA bill to require "green cars" to make more noise
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CA bill to require "green cars" to make more noise  (Read 2587 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:22:04 AM »

As strange as this sounds, it kinda makes sense.

"California: Green cars too quiet

Electric and hybrid vehicles may be better for the environment, but the California Legislature says they're bad for the blind.

It has passed a bill to ensure that the vehicles make enough noise to be heard by visually impaired people about to cross a street.

The measure would establish a committee to study the issue and recommend ways the vehicles could make more noise.

The state Department of Motor Vehicles says more than 300,000 of the vehicles are on state roads. Officials say they don't keep statistics on pedestrian accidents involving those vehicles.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:33:51 AM »

Shocking that California is the first to take on this important piece of legislation!

I wonder how many blind people have been run over so far.....

I wonder how much this is going to cost American consumers.....
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:25:54 AM »

Sometimes I think my state is insane. But if they just incorporate some piece of crap in later models that just makes some sort of noise, I do not know if that would cost a lot of money. I dunno still seems kind of...not important. The bitches better start working on the budget.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:28:07 AM »

Why can't blind people wear a device that detects electric cars?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »

Why can't blind people wear a device that detects electric cars?
Post of the Day!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 10:04:38 AM »

Screw the blind. We need more natural selection in our society! If they get run over by cars because they can't hear them, then obviously they are inferior specimens of blind people and should be run over so they don't spread their poor hearing to other blind.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »

And shouldn't blind people be able to hear better, considering their brain doesn't have to waste resources seeing sh**t.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 10:22:25 AM »

And shouldn't blind people be able to hear better, considering their brain doesn't have to waste resources seeing sh**t.

Exactly my point. Have you ever fought a blind samurai? I haven't, and you know how you can tell that I haven't? I'm not dead. You fight a blind samurai and you're gonna get cut!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 10:32:32 AM »

Exactly my point. Have you ever fought a blind samurai? I haven't, and you know how you can tell that I haven't? I'm not dead. You fight a blind samurai and you're gonna get cut!

The movie Daredevil proves what blind people can do...
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 11:50:19 AM »

Oh, Daredevil, that's made me consider something new. This bill not only helps blind people who should be killed off due to poor hearing, but it places a burden on those blind people with super hearing. These people are already bombarded with noise, and this will only bombard them with more. We need to protect those with super hearing so they can concentrate on hearing important things.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:19:09 PM »

honestly, I think this is more than a little silly.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 12:35:20 PM »

honestly, I think this is more than a little silly.

Really? Obviously I'm taking this super cereal.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 06:45:42 PM »

Oh, Daredevil, that's made me consider something new. This bill not only helps blind people who should be killed off due to poor hearing, but it places a burden on those blind people with super hearing. These people are already bombarded with noise, and this will only bombard them with more. We need to protect those with super hearing so they can concentrate on hearing important things.

Makes perfect sense! What if a blind guy is overhearing someone's plan to take over the world & a new, noisy electric car passes? The world could be taken over because of this bill! Sad
Jacobtm

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 08:14:08 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2008, 08:16:47 PM by Jacobtm »

Could this lead to sub-woofer subsidies and cops pulling people over for playing their radio too quietly? I hope so.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 08:18:14 AM »

The bill might apply to the sighted as well. I find that as a pedestrian I use my ears as well as my eyes to cross traffic. When I used a bicycle as my primary means of transport, the ability to hear the sound of cars behind me helped me focus on the road ahead.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »

OK, so the blind man is walking where?  If he's at a major intersection, it's not gonna matter if he could hear it or not - he should know he's at a major intersection.  Blind people aren't stupid, they just can't see.

If he's walking by his house and walks into the street, chances are, he's fallen off the curb and would be hurt anyway.

And how do blind people who live on side streets by major streets survive now?  How can they tell the difference between cars on the main street and their street?  Most have better hearing.  Point is, most blind people don't just walk out into the street.

The law is stupid and pointless, and it's not the government's problem unless there's blind people getting killed already.
Chiahead

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 10:03:21 PM »

How far would they take this?  Will bicycles need sirens on them to warn people they are coming?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 11:33:35 PM »

How far would they take this?  Will bicycles need sirens on them to warn people they are coming?

Or other people walking.  In fact, everybody needs a siren on their head.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 04:33:05 PM »

Decent idea. I nearly ran over a cat on my Prius since it was unfazed by its relative quietness. Had to honk and come out and chase it out.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 04:40:04 PM »

Right, because cats never do the exact same thing to ICE(Internal Combustion Engine) powered cars.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 05:29:43 PM »

Decent idea. I nearly ran over a cat on my Prius since it was unfazed by its relative quietness. Had to honk and come out and chase it out.

And I nearly stepped on a chipmunk because it ran right out in front of me.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »

Bicycles don't kill people, Matt... use your head.

Not only do I not have a problem with this bill, but I fully support it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 05:49:14 AM »

It doesn't matter what it costs the American consumer?  It doesn't matter that it will help a ridiculously small percentage of the population...and even then the "help" is very questionable.  It was this kind of logic that costs us millions putting those stupid third brake lights on cars in the 80's that have done little to save American motorists.  It's this kind of logic that gives us red light cameras that actually INCREASE the number of accidents at stop lights.  Or day time running lights, that take away one of the few advantages motorcycles have always had (headlights on during the day).  Don't even get me started on air bags.  We want to pass laws because they seem like a good idea, regardless what the facts and logic say.  This is one of them.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 08:20:49 AM »

It doesn't matter what it costs the American consumer?  It doesn't matter that it will help a ridiculously small percentage of the population...and even then the "help" is very questionable.  It was this kind of logic that costs us millions putting those stupid third brake lights on cars in the 80's that have done little to save American motorists.  It's this kind of logic that gives us red light cameras that actually INCREASE the number of accidents at stop lights.  Or day time running lights, that take away one of the few advantages motorcycles have always had (headlights on during the day).  Don't even get me started on air bags.  We want to pass laws because they seem like a good idea, regardless what the facts and logic say.  This is one of them.

How do red light cameras increase accidents?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:32 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2008, 11:35:46 AM by dead0man »

many google links

Here's a typical one.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

edited to aid the reader
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies