Biden is damaged goods
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:22:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Biden is damaged goods
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Biden is damaged goods  (Read 2751 times)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 08:38:35 PM »

Obama is "exciting" and "fresh" enough as it is at the top of the ticket.   What he needs is good ole fashioned, bland Midwestern white guy efficiency with a record of good governance.

Like Evan Bayh?

*groans*
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 12:36:38 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2008, 12:51:17 AM by Ogre Mage »

No VP nominee is perfect, but Biden would be one of the better choices.  He is one of the top minds in the Democratic Party on foreign policy and would be an effective attack dog.  He's comfortable with national-level politics and campaigning and would not be a deer-in-the-headlights on the national stage -- something which I fear could happen with Webb or Sebelius and did happen to Bill Richardson.  Biden certainly has baggage, but so do the other potential running mates with significant experience.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 01:11:34 AM »

Being a little bit "racist" may actually help Biden get the nod from Obama, as I explained here:

While most Americans do use stereotypes and make off-handed comments like Biden's, it is for some reason considered taboo for elected officials, they have to be PC for some reason.  That's what I really hate and why I like Joe Biden.

You're right.  However, I think there's one particular class of elected officials who are in a special category: Those running as Barack Obama's running mate.  Part of the appeal of Obama for some people is that by voting for him, we are cleansing ourselves of our racial sins.  (This may sound ridiculous to you or me, but I do think it's part of the psychology of some Obama voters.)

Having a running mate who's said some "racially insensitive" things would kind of amplify this.  It's like Obama would be saying "It's OK that you bragged that Delaware was a slave state, and that I'm 'clean' and 'articulate'.  You're forgiven."  And white voters everywhere would feel better about themselves.

Again, that may sound kind of crazy, but I think there may be something to it.  By the same logic, Jim Webb making complimentary comments about the Confederacy doesn't hurt his vice presidential prospects either.

That said, because of Biden's 7/11 comments, an Obama/Biden v. McCain/Jindal contest would be amusing.

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »

jack reed would be a good substitution for biden.

reed knows foreign policy and military matters...and well... he doesnt act like biden.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 02:06:51 PM »

Biden is not racist, nor will he be portrayed as such.  Only an idiot would think that he is.
Harry, you are the last person to say that, you call every member of the Confederacy a traitor and a racist
Uh....
Do you even care that you blatantly disregard facts and put words into peoples mouths?
When have I EVER called "every member of the Confederacy" a racist?  In fact, I've argued the very opposite point on this forum within the last few days...
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2008, 10:09:05 AM »

Bumped, because I'm a masochist that way.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies