Obama hasn't given up on Georgia, has a custom attack ad up in Atlanta
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:09:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama hasn't given up on Georgia, has a custom attack ad up in Atlanta
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama hasn't given up on Georgia, has a custom attack ad up in Atlanta  (Read 867 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2008, 03:58:44 PM »
« edited: August 20, 2008, 04:18:09 PM by Lunar »

Link: "Never"

”It was one of Washington’s biggest scandals. And the Republican power broker Ralph Reed was in the middle of it. In deep with convicted felon and lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

“But when the Senate investigated, the senator in charge never even called Reed to testify….And that senator? John McCain. And who’s now raising money for McCain’s campaign? Ralph Reed. For 26 years in Washington, John McCain’s played the same old games. We just can’t afford more of the same.”

Though the message is obviously different, the McCain-Reed ad appears to fit into the context of this New York Times story from today:

Senator Barack Obama has started a sustained and hard-hitting advertising campaign against Senator John McCain in states that will be vital this fall, painting Mr. McCain in a series of commercials as disconnected from the economic struggles of the middle class.

Mr. Obama has begun the drive with little fanfare, often eschewing the modern campaign technique of unveiling new spots for the news media before they run in an effort to win added (free) attention. Mr. Obama, whose candidacy has been built in part on a promise to transcend traditional politics, is running the negative commercials on local stations even as he runs generally positive spots nationally, during prime-time coverage of the Olympics.

By way of background, when the Senate Indian Affairs Committee chaired by McCain was looking into the Abramoff affair, whether to call Reed to testify was hotly debated among Republicans on the committee. The decision not to do so was based on the belief that Indian tribes were not defrauded by Reed’s actions. The tribes got what they paid Reed for — armies of Christian opponents to nearby gambling operations that would cut into the tribe’s business.

One Republican insider privately said that any fraud Reed committed was against the Christian troops whom he rallied — without informing them who was paying the bill. That wasn’t the business of the Indian Affairs Committee, the insider said.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/politicalinsider/entries/2008/08/20/obama_campaign_set_to_release.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 04:25:04 PM »

Going sharply negative in other states creates an interesting situation for McCain.

He can:

1) Respond to it in the media but not by running ads.  This creates a media buzz around the story, net loss for McCain
2) Run counter-ads in Georgia like he would for a swing-state.  This would be costly and possibly generate a story about how he's forced to defend Georgia.
3) Ignore the accusations.  This would mean that Obama's claims can possibly sit there and become facts in a few months.

Unfortunately for Obama, the ad is kind of bureaucratic and crappy.  But they have the right idea there - going after McCain's strengths: his integrity and character.

What Obama really wants is for McCain to publicly cut his ties with Reed - creating a small buzz.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 04:27:13 PM »

So is Georgia like a testing ground? Regardless, he still shouldn't be spending money there
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:41:14 PM »

Who is Ralph Reed?  I think I've heard of this Abramoff character before.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »

Abramoff's best bud who lost to Casey Cagle for GA Lt. Gov. in the 2006 GOP primary.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 05:06:57 PM »

What is this, six degrees of Abramoff?

Talk about a weak accusation.  Don't they bother focus grouping these things first?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 05:08:27 PM »

Abramoff's best bud who lost to Casey Cagle for GA Lt. Gov. in the 2006 GOP primary.

I'm playing your typical American who views this ad yet again.  I know who Ralph Reed is, trust me.  Smiley

I have been amazed this political season at just how bad the Obama ad team has been.  This is yet another example.  Some type of shakeup is needed there.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 05:09:23 PM »

I have been amazed this political season at just how bad the Obama ad team has been.  This is yet another example.  Some type of shakeup is needed there.

Hey, this is his first real general election campaign!  Go easy on him!  Sad
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 05:32:12 PM »

So is Georgia like a testing ground? Regardless, he still shouldn't be spending money there

I suppose the question is is Obama committed to dropping the $100 million or so he would probably need to win Georgia?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »

I have to wonder if this ad isn't aimed at the media more than anyone else for exactly that reason.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 05:57:50 PM »

I have to wonder if this ad isn't aimed at the media more than anyone else for exactly that reason.

How much is the ad buy?  On top of the 2.5 million already wasted in GA
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies