Do you expect the name to leak Thursday?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:13:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Do you expect the name to leak Thursday?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do you expect the name to leak Thursday?  (Read 3391 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:56:27 PM »

I think it'll leak tomorrow. The official announcement will be Friday and then they'll waste time together in Illinois Saturday.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:58:51 PM »

yes.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:00:52 PM »

I'm keeping my cell-phone handy.  I worry though that they will send the message to people in the Bay Area last.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 10:05:33 PM »

I'm keeping my cell-phone handy.  I worry though that they will send the message to people in the Bay Area last.

I should probably sign up for that thing.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »

I think the actual official announcement will be on Thursday (late in the day).  The only news organization saying that the official announcement is on Friday is CBS (unless others have reported that in the last few hours when I was otherwise engaged?).  Everyone else is saying that it could come at any time, and the most convincing speculation points to tomorrow.  I don't think it makes that much sense to announce something like this on a Friday.  Thursday is better.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 10:52:02 PM »

Well, I finally signed up for the text alert. I guess I'm a real VIP now.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:57:44 PM »

How do you sign up for the text alert/is it free/do I get put into some sort of Obama list I don't want to be on?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:00:48 PM »

It's free to the extent that Obama doesn't charge you anything.  If you pay 10 cents a text message or whatever, it will cost that.  If I remember right, you text "VP" to OBAMA (62262).  So far, the Obama campaign has sent me one text message asking me to send them my zip code so that they could alert me if Obama is in the area.  It's possible they will send you a few updates every now and then, but they, at least thus far, seem to be avoiding annoyance.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 11:03:58 PM »

Thanks-it says I am now a part of "Obama Mobile", lucky me?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 11:16:21 PM »

Thanks-it says I am now a part of "Obama Mobile", lucky me?

im sure you will be put on some sort of list.

i constantly get emails from mccain's campaign.  despite the fact ive never signed up for anything from them.

i suppose they got my email from my past donations to bush and the rnc
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 11:39:51 PM »

How do you sign up for the text alert/is it free/do I get put into some sort of Obama list I don't want to be on?

Oh, you will DEFINITELY get put on an Obama list you don't want to be a part of.

By the way, if it hasn't been said yet, I can almost guarantee you'll hear it somewhere else before you get the official text.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 12:06:40 AM »

Oh, you will DEFINITELY get put on an Obama list you don't want to be a part of.

By the way, if it hasn't been said yet, I can almost guarantee you'll hear it somewhere else before you get the official text.

I think it'll be cool to wake up tomorrow morning and not even turn on my TV or computer and see who it is and the way its phrased
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 12:09:59 AM »

Cool, I signed up for the text too!
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 12:14:36 AM »

http://wonkette.com/402054/freak-out-your-friends-with-fake-obama-vp-txt

I've been doing this all night.

"I'm excited to announce that Hillary Clinton will be my running mate. Please join me in supporting her. Yes we can."

7 minutes later...

"The previous message was sent in error. I apologize for the mistake. I have decided to select Chris Dodd of Connecticut to be my running mate. Yes we can."

22 minutes later...

"Upon further consideration I have called Senator Dodd and revoked my offer. I will be sticking with Hillary. Thank you for your support. Yes we can."
MatthewZD
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -1.04

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 06:54:27 AM »

This thought occurred to me.  What if Obama just announces his choice unannounced? 

Imagine this timing:  While Obama's at some event, the text messages are sent out.  Almost simultaneously at the event (within a few minutes of the texts being sent), Obama says something like "... and that's why I'm pleased to have (insert name here) as my running mate ... ".  The place goes wild and the news organizations are scrambling like a room full of mice where a hungry cat has just jumped into trying to be the first to announce the "BREAKING NEWS"!! on their networks and websites. 

Oh good grief.  He's here in VA today.  Could this mean it's Tim Kaine?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 08:19:58 AM »

This article from the San Jose Mercury News suggests that Obama will announce on Saturday ... http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10246935?source=rss

Announcing on a Saturday?  Worst idea EVER.  In our internet driven society the worst time to try to make a news splash is the weekend.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 08:22:54 AM »

We will get the Email/Text today around 1 or 2 pm tell us who the VP is, then tomorrow he will hold a speech in Springfield with him/her.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 08:23:40 AM »

We will get the Email/Text today around 1 or 2 pm tell us who the VP is, then tomorrow he will hold a speech in Springfield with him/her.
Yeah, I'm sure its going to be kept secret for a whole day
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 08:37:45 AM »

Yeah, I'm sure its going to be kept secret for a whole day

I don't think you understood what he said.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 08:44:47 AM »

This article from the San Jose Mercury News suggests that Obama will announce on Saturday ... http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10246935?source=rss

Announcing on a Saturday?  Worst idea EVER.  In our internet driven society the worst time to try to make a news splash is the weekend.

The article is misleading.  Saturday is when Obama will first appear with his running mate, but everyone expects that the actual announcement will come today or tomorrow.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »

The article is misleading.  Saturday is when Obama will first appear with his running mate, but everyone expects that the actual announcement will come today or tomorrow.

Well, you can still announce the candidate without being next to them.  So, say tonight around 11pm, Obama's camp sends out this 'text message' with the name.  Friday media will be discussing the pairing all day while anticipating the first side-by-side stage shot, and then on Saturday the media will be all over it again.  Two whole days of coverage.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 12:48:43 PM »

Well, you can still announce the candidate without being next to them.  So, say tonight around 11pm, Obama's camp sends out this 'text message' with the name.  Friday media will be discussing the pairing all day while anticipating the first side-by-side stage shot, and then on Saturday the media will be all over it again.  Two whole days of coverage.

That was exactly my point.  "Running mate announced" and "Obama makes first joint appearance with running mate" are two different things.  Saturday is when they're supposed to make their first joint appearance, but we don't know when the announcement will come.  It'll presumably be today or tomorrow.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »

i just got a text from barack obama himself

i now know who the vp is

but i shan't reveal it

my apologies

HappyWarrior
hannibal