Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 01:26:45 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Is NC senate race going to turn out like VA in 2006?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is NC senate race going to turn out like VA in 2006?  (Read 3065 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:46:29 am »
Ignore

In 2006 the Allen was ahead like Dole, then the closer the election got, the closer the race became. In the end Webb beat Allen by .39%. Could NC turn out just like VA did in 2006? 
JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:57:35 am »
Ignore

Not unless Dole makes a racist comment then is revealed to have a history of racist comments.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.84, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 10:11:04 am »
Ignore

Wake me when Hagen starts polling regularly above 45%, ok?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
YaBB God
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:37:01 am »
Ignore

You do realize that George Allen lost because he blasted the fact he was Jewish, called an opposing intern a "macaca", held stock in a company that made abortion pills, and a bunch of other gaffes.

The answer is NO

Gov. Christopher J. Christie
Ronnie
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:39:58 am »
Ignore

When Hagan starts getting (even close) to a majority of the vote, we'll talk.  I expect it to be Dole by 5-7 points.

Born and raised in California
(Jewish) Atheist
Classical Liberal
JSojourner
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 11:01:02 am »
Ignore

It's tempting to look at North Carolina, Minnesota, Mississippi and even a few other states where the R incumbent isn't polling above 50 to get excited.  But these things usually level off.  I expect Republicans to hold all the close ones, while losing New Hampshire, Virginia, New Mexico, Colorado, and Alaska.  They'll hold Louisiana and South Dakota, while Republicans will hold North Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, Texas, Mississippi, Maine and Oregon.

Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 12:36:41 pm »
Ignore

Well, I don't think Webb had cracked 45 percent at this point two years ago either, but obviously Dole is no Allen.
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 12:41:26 pm »
Ignore

Well, I don't think Webb had cracked 45 percent at this point two years ago either, but obviously Dole is no Allen.

Webb had also just begun to be competitive as Allen had just said Macaca at this point.

Jake
dubya2004
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 12:42:10 pm »
Ignore

He had in an 8-18 Survey USA (48-45 Allen). A few days earlier a Rasmussen had it at 47-42.
Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 12:45:40 pm »
Ignore

No.  Dole is no Allen; Allen lost because of a long string of gaffes, and Dole won't make those same mistakes.  Plus, NC isn't as Democratic as Virginia is, yet.`

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:47:24 pm »
Ignore

Dole isn't an Allen but she will try to screw this up!

Grazie, Capitano!
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:53:18 pm »
Ignore

Dole isn't an Allen but she will try to screw this up!

Dole is a mole working for the Democrats. That explains her inexplicable "strategy" in 2006. Tongue

Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 12:58:16 pm »
Ignore

No.  Dole is no Allen; Allen lost because of a long string of gaffes, and Dole won't make those same mistakes.  Plus, NC isn't as Democratic as Virginia is, yet.`

VA is more Democratic the NC at the national level, but at the local level NC is more Democratic.
farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 01:01:14 pm »
Ignore

It almost happened in Kentucky in 2004, too.

Of course that's no guarantee of another repeat. And it wouldn't have to be NC, either. (Fingers crossed for that ass Cornyn to screw up everything he can between now and election day)

I may conceivably reconsider.

Knowing me it's more likely than not.
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 01:06:23 pm »
Ignore

VA is more Democratic the NC at the national level, but at the local level NC is more Democratic.

Fortunately for Dole that Senate races are federal in that case. Wink

Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 01:07:40 pm »
Ignore

Of course that's no guarantee of another repeat. And it wouldn't have to be NC, either. (Fingers crossed for that ass Cornyn to screw up everything he can between now and election day)

Only problem is that North Carolina is not Kentucky.  Doesn't mean that it can't happen, but Bunning has always been a weaker candidate in reality than he appears on paper (kind of the opposite of McConnell).  Who knows about Dole?

And Texas certainly isn't Kentucky.  Smiley  Besides, Noriega has to get money to be able to run a campaign first and foremost. 
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 01:11:02 pm »
Ignore

Fortunately for Dole that Senate races are federal in that case. Wink

I know Tongue...  I just don't think Dole will be able to keep up, money wise with the DSCC + what Hagan gets. Also Dole will not get the black voters like she needs to keep Hagan down in the polls. And as long as Hagan stayes with in 5% of Dole the DSCC will give Hagan money. Unlike the RNC who are trying to states like CO, MN, OR, ME, LA ect close.
farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 01:15:23 pm »
Ignore

Only problem is that North Carolina is not Kentucky.  Doesn't mean that it can't happen, but Bunning has always been a weaker candidate in reality than he appears on paper (kind of the opposite of McConnell).  Who knows about Dole?

And Texas certainly isn't Kentucky.  Smiley  Besides, Noriega has to get money to be able to run a campaign first and foremost. 
Did Mongiardo have money?

Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 01:20:55 pm »
Ignore

Bunning raised/spent about $6.5 million.  Mongiardo raised/spent about $2.9 million.

At present, Cornyn has raised about $16.4 million, with about $9.4 million CoH.  Noriega has raised about $2.4 million, with about $900K CoH.
farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 01:22:55 pm »
Ignore

Bunning raised/spent about $6.5 million.  Mongiardo raised/spent about $2.9 million.

At present, Cornyn has raised about $16.4 million, with about $9.4 million CoH.  Noriega has raised about $2.4 million, with about $900K CoH.
Okay, so the answer is "yes". Smiley

Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 01:24:39 pm »
Ignore

I know, I know.  But I thought a detailed description of both situations might help a bit.  Smiley
farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 01:25:59 pm »
Ignore

I know, I know.  But I thought a detailed description of both situations might help a bit.  Smiley
Yeah, it did. Smiley

farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 04:24:35 am »
Ignore

Lewis, your new screen name reminds me of a fellow who used to post on the 2008 boards ... I can't remember his name, but his posts were full of gloom and doom and about how all the presidential candidates were awful.

And then there was his priceless sig (paraphrased): "We are all doomed.  The only hope I have is  that the rest of my life is as painless as possible."

Sorry to go off topic there.  As for the NC Senate race, lol.
It's short for "Let's Give Up and Listen to Shitty Bands", which is from a song but which the Forum Censor won't let me use.

Smash255
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 05:13:10 pm »
Ignore

Its going to be closer than most people though a feew months ago, as of now I will say Dole by 3 or so, but Dole could blow it.

Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 04:12:07 am »
Ignore

No, Hagan will win by a significantly larger margin.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout