Would Bush Jr. Have Invaded Iraq Without 9/11 Or A Similar Terrorist Attack?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:45:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Would Bush Jr. Have Invaded Iraq Without 9/11 Or A Similar Terrorist Attack?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Go.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Would Bush Jr. Have Invaded Iraq Without 9/11 Or A Similar Terrorist Attack?  (Read 2647 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »

I'd say No. He and his advisors might have wanted to, but I doubt that the public would have supported him if they weren't scared like crazy (as many were in RL after 9/11). Back in 1990-1991, nearly half of Americans opposed entering the Gulf War (even though the U.S. was just liberating one of its allies, not invading another country). Thus, I doubt that many people would have supported American entry into Iraq without 9/11 or a similar terrorist attack. The U.S. economy was in poor shape between 2001-2003, so if people were not scared, they would have criticized Bush for invading another country instead of worrying about domestic problems and the economy.
WillK

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »

I'd say No. He and his advisors might have wanted to, but I doubt that the public would have supported him if they weren't scared like crazy (as many were in RL after 9/11). Back in 1990-1991, nearly half of Americans opposed entering the Gulf War (even though the U.S. was just liberating one of its allies, not invading another country). Thus, I doubt that many people would have supported American entry into Iraq without 9/11 or a similar terrorist attack. The U.S. economy was in poor shape between 2001-2003, so if people were not scared, they would have criticized Bush for invading another country instead of worrying about domestic problems and the economy.

A justification would have been found/created. 
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:47:55 PM »

Yes, the Iraq invasion would have happened no matter what.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:48:14 AM »

Yes, but without massive public fear and with a poor economy, I think that support for the war might initially be not nearly as high as it was in RL, and thus Bush might be afraid to risk his reelection on a foreign adventure that a large segment of the American people would not support.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 06:42:38 AM »

If anything, it's more likely that he would simply have Saddam assassinated.

Both scenarios strike me as unlikely.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 06:54:25 AM »

They wouldn't have dared.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 07:01:57 AM »

Probably not....but I wouldn't put it past him (them?) to come up with another reason/excuse to finish Dad's work.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »

Probably not....but I wouldn't put it past him (them?) to come up with another reason/excuse to finish Dad's work.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 09:44:28 PM »

Certainly possible. I think without 9/11, the probability of such an event occurring was like 25%.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 09:45:44 PM »

No, they had no means to justify it. He also would've lost re-election, probably.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 10:07:22 PM »

No, they had no means to justify it. He also would've lost re-election, probably.

Exactly. Even if Bush & Co. would have created an excuse, the majority of the public (or a very large minority) would have opposed the invasion since the U.S. either was in a recession (2001-2003) or just came out of a recession (2004) and thus they would feel that Bush should worry more about domestic problems and the economy instead of going on some foreign adventure. Thus, Bush would be afraid to go into Iraq because he would fear that this foreign adventure would cost him his reelection.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 12:25:55 AM »

I think it would have required an oil crisis of some sort that was able to have been blamed on Saddam.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »

Since when Bush had a brain?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »

The Bush family operates under a code of their own, regardless of political consequences.  You fuck with them in any way and they will take a lifetime if need be to get even.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 11:38:39 AM »

Basically, this.

When a militarist wants to lead his country to war, an excuse is created.  Remember, Germany only invaded Poland because the Poles first attacked Germany...
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »

Basically, this.

When a militarist wants to lead his country to war, an excuse is created.  Remember, Germany only invaded Poland because the Poles first attacked Germany...

Bush wasn't really a militarist, though. He just wanted to get reelected and wanted something to district people from his mediocre economic record.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 09:42:09 PM »

What could justification could be created? Invading a country, in a time of peace, that posed no immediate threat would be met with immense hostility from an intensely divided Congress. Without 9/11, there is no legitamete reason. Bush and Co. are kicked out in 2004, and their successors are kicked out in '08. Much like a revolving door.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 09:50:31 PM »

What could justification could be created? Invading a country, in a time of peace, that posed no immediate threat would be met with immense hostility from an intensely divided Congress. Without 9/11, there is no legitamete reason. Bush and Co. are kicked out in 2004, and their successors are kicked out in '08. Much like a revolving door.

I agree with you. I think that without 9/11, Bush might have bombed Iraq, but not invaded it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies