Should Words That Sound Like Offensivie Words...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:14:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Words That Sound Like Offensivie Words...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Should Words That Sound Like Offensivie Words...  (Read 4794 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 03:12:18 PM »

I don't know.  I just remember a gym teacher who would always use the word "twat" when he meant "taut".  Like if we were doing the rope climb or playing tug of war, he would say, "Hold that thing TWAT!"  And we'd all collapse laughing.  Junior High School, yanno.

I know it's not the same thing.  But it's a story that needed to be told.  <g>
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 05:42:38 PM »

I don't know.  I just remember a gym teacher who would always use the word "twat" when he meant "taut".  Like if we were doing the rope climb or playing tug of war, he would say, "Hold that thing TWAT!"  And we'd all collapse laughing.  Junior High School, yanno.

I know it's not the same thing.  But it's a story that needed to be told.  <g>

Then owls and bats
Cowls and twats
Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry

The poet Robert Browning about 400 years ago (IIRC) thought a twat was a nuns hat Tongue Speaking of which most of our modern swear words are pure medieval/Elizabethan vintage.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »

The original "Rule of Thumb" was that a husband was only permitted to beat his wife with a stick that was no thinker than his thumb.  Obviously, beating your wife with a stick (which is something that people ought to get incensed about) was common enough that the expression has grown to mean other things, and most people are totally unaware of it original meaning.

Wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wrong.  (Expanded debunking)

Really.  You mean that those things don't mean that?  Kinda like ndly?  Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 05:00:58 PM »

The original "Rule of Thumb" was that a husband was only permitted to beat his wife with a stick that was no thinker than his thumb.  Obviously, beating your wife with a stick (which is something that people ought to get incensed about) was common enough that the expression has grown to mean other things, and most people are totally unaware of it original meaning.

Wrong.

I still have no idea why this issue invokes so much passion in you.  Honestly: if people don't use it, it will die off; if people use it, it won't.  And there's nothing any one of us can do about it, save perhaps unless we have a particularly influential circle of peers.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 05:30:36 PM »

Wrong.

I still have no idea why this issue invokes so much passion in you.  Honestly: if people don't use it, it will die off; if people use it, it won't.  And there's nothing any one of us can do about it, save perhaps unless we have a particularly influential circle of peers.

Tell me about it. I've been trying to bring "methinks" back into the vocabulary of the proletariat, without much success. Sad
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 06:33:16 PM »

Wrong.

Tell me about it. I've been trying to bring "methinks" back into the vocabulary of the proletariat, without much success. Sad

Methinks you should redouble your efforts Grin
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 06:46:02 PM »

Wrong.

Methinks you should redouble your efforts Grin

Methinks you're right. Wink
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »

Methinks that I would have never found anyone like me.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »

Methinks that I would have never found anyone like me.

Methinks I have used methinks at least 20 times on this forum.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies