You know what I noticed about TN, WV, KY?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:00:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  You know what I noticed about TN, WV, KY?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: You know what I noticed about TN, WV, KY?  (Read 3233 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2008, 04:17:40 AM »
« edited: August 27, 2008, 04:20:11 AM by McCainforPrez »

All my childhood, I would often go on fishing trips to the Ohio River with my dad...and we would drive down to West Virginia/Ohio border area which is only 4 hrs away. In 2005, we drove down to Florida...including Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia. In 2006, we had to drive to my cousin's wedding in North Carolina. This past January, I joined Keystone Phil and Nixon Now in a road trip to Iowa for the Caucus...with stops through Indiana, and Illinois.

What I noticed about many areas (especially WV, TN and KY) was how much I liked them. To me, driving on the highway, taking a scenic route, stopping at Waffle Houses and grabbing snacks and coffee at random gas stations was only part of it. While driving, listening to talk radio shows like Art Bell and George Noory late at night...finding new radio stations once the signal was lost from the old ones...random Classic Rock and Country stations...just good old fashioned music.

Then, the people you meet are so friendly and decent...it screams Heartland America. To me...these areas almost make me feel like time isn't moving as fast as it seems up here near Cleveland. Areas like Tennessee and West Virginia and Kentucky....with the green hills of Appalachica almost seem like they are a brief respite of these fast paced times.

Anyone concur? Know what I'm talking about?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:54:42 AM »

People have been saying the same things since ancient Athens.  Things seem to move slower in the country and faster in the city.  Country is calm, city is hectic.  Hopefully you can enjoy both, some people can't.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:15:38 AM »

We do have cities too, you know. Louisville, in particular, is a really cool town.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:08:04 AM »

People there sorta freak me out. Just look at my mom's sister's family.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:42:08 PM »

I've never gotten that myself.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 05:54:49 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2008, 06:10:18 PM by Torie »

The area is gorgeous, particularly the eastern two thirds of Kentucky and Tennessee. The rolling hills of Al Gore country in Middle Tennessee east of Nashville is particularly scenic to me.  Some of the towns in Kentucky and Eastern Tennessee are so cute that you want to kiss them, like Georgetown, Kentucky. Outside of the Nashville area however, the economy is pretty somnolent.

By the way,  you are in the Lexington area, be sure to go see Henry Clay's home. The neighborhood around it the the boulevard running past it from downtown to the interstate, is one of the most gorgeous in the United States. It sports large yards, and beautiful architecture and trees. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 06:01:24 PM »

I've never been there.

I did take a drive through rural Utah though.. and the people weren't very friendly.  It wasn't until we got to Nebraska that they got friendly again.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »

You know what, Naso? I know what you're talking about.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 06:30:32 PM »

And yet... nothing is more "Americana" than Iowa.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 07:42:12 PM »

Let me say...the differences between West Virginia/Kentucky/Tennessee and Iowa were large. To me, Iowa...while filled with many farmland areas...didn't come across as "folksy" to me as you would think.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 07:46:11 PM »

I've been to WV and KY exactly once, and TN never.  WV is gorgeous, except when it isn't.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 08:53:09 PM »

The pace of life in genuinely rural areas (and in towns outside major metropolitan influence) has often seemed to people from metropolitan areas to be curiously slow (whether this is deemed to be a good thing and "serene" or a bad thing and "lazy" depends on the traveller) but, especially historically, is mostly an illusion (ie; a great deal of activity simply happend at times and in places that no outsider saw or was interested in; during the harvest, down mines, inside cottages (thinking of homeworking in the textile industry here) and so on and so forth). As is the feeling that things must have always been the same because of the apparently slow pace of life.

Though... I still do get slightly bemused at the way some people in large cities rush around for no reason.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 08:55:53 PM »

I've never been there.

I did take a drive through rural Utah though.. and the people weren't very friendly.  It wasn't until we got to Nebraska that they got friendly again.

Really? My dad went to school in Utah and he says Mormons are very friendly.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »

Let me say...the differences between West Virginia/Kentucky/Tennessee and Iowa were large. To me, Iowa...while filled with many farmland areas...didn't come across as "folksy" to me as you would think.

We spent our time in Iowa in and around Des Moines almost all the time. Almost every interaction we had with Iowans happened in and around Des Moines. That's probably why you feel this way.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 08:58:12 PM »

Folksy?  No.  Iowa is about as far from folksy as you can get for a "farm" state.  I'm talking about the warmth and friendliness of the people among other things.  When you take a good, long look at Iowa and Iowans and their history and culture, you'll find that many of the very things we associate with Americana come from that part of the country.

Kentucky and Tennessee have a mountain/hillbilly/southern folksy feel to it.  Iowa is Americana.  We're talking Spamburgers and mashed rutabagas on fancy paper plates Americana... okay?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 09:08:18 PM »

Meh. I wouldn't associate farmers with being all folksy anyway. Miserable buggers for the most part.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 09:09:37 PM »

Meh. I wouldn't associate farmers with being all folksy anyway. Miserable buggers for the most part.

You're descended from them, no?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 09:19:32 PM »

Not really, though you might have a broader definition of "farmer" than I do.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »

Did they vote Whig?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 09:38:46 PM »

Did they vote Whig?

No. Back then they couldn't vote (or at least none that I'm aware of). As far as I know most voted Liberal as soon as they could vote, being largely Nonconformists and all that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 09:46:55 PM »

Did they vote Whig?

No. Back then they couldn't vote (or at least none that I'm aware of). As far as I know most voted Liberal as soon as they could vote, being largely Nonconformists and all that.

So they were tenants?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 09:49:11 PM »

Did they vote Whig?

So they were tenants?

Yes. Just about everyone was back then.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 09:49:16 PM »

Did they vote Whig?

That makes perfect sense, most farmers/rural people around here are definatley non-conformists. Now of course some are completley different and are just hippies that vote for Democrats but others were huge Ron Paul supporters, and have been Liberitarian voters to an extent along with huge suspicion of the government.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 09:50:04 PM »

Did they vote Whig?

That makes perfect sense, most farmers/rural people around here are definatley non-conformists. Now of course some are completley different and are just hippies that vote for Democrats but others were huge Ron Paul supporters, and have been Liberitarian voters to an extent along with huge suspicion of the government.

Non-conformist means something very specific in Wales.

Yes. Just about everyone was back then.

So I'd call them farmers.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies