What will be the closest senate race this year?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:34:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What will be the closest senate race this year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What will be the closest senate race this year?  (Read 6215 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2008, 12:34:30 PM »

Which Senate race will be the closest? I say any one of these three, MN, OR or NC wil be.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »

Other.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »

The safe races will, obviously, be blow-outs, as will VA and NH. NM, CO and AK will be within 10 points probably, but not really super close (kind of like the RI race in 2006). NC will be a couple point Dole win, as will Maine (for Collins). MN and OR will be very close, I think, and I don't think the winning candidate will break 50% in either.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 04:27:35 PM »

The Mississippi special election between former Gov. Ronnie Musgrove and Rep. Roger Wicker. 

Just a hunch. 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 04:31:53 PM »

Oregon probably. Maybe Colorado or New Hampshire if McCain does surprisingly well.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 04:45:25 PM »

Mississippi B.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 06:02:16 PM »

New Hampshire

Josh please stop spamming with threads about how excited you are that some summer polls suggest your state could be close.  May I refer you to the 2006 race between Kean and Menendez?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 06:13:16 PM »

Josh please stop spamming with threads about how excited you are that some summer polls suggest your state could be close.  May I refer you to the 2006 race between Kean and Menendez?

Indeed.  North Carolina will not even be in the top 5 closest states.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2008, 07:06:49 PM by Torie »

Minnesota or Colorado, but yes, it could be NC. Heck, it could even be NH. I have a bad feeling about Dole. Some of that may be colored by the fact, that when I see her or hear her, I think of a Stepford Wife. No doubt that is unfair, but I can't help it. If I were a swing voter, I would dump her myself.

Right now, none of the races really look all that skin tight to me. The GOP will drop Alaska, Virginia, NH, Colorado and NM, and all will be by more than 3% margins, is my guess as what is most likely. I expect Coleman and Smith to win by more than a 3% margin and Dole too, except if she doesn't. The Mississippi seat is almost certainly going GOP by more than a 3% margin, unless Wicker makes a big mistake.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 07:13:05 PM »

New Hampshire

VA in 2006?? Can look at them polls.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 07:19:48 PM »

New Hampshire

Big difference.  Allen had a number of huge gaffes, which Dole hasn't had.  Also, there was no Presidential race, and in August, Allen led by 4; it only got close in October.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 07:24:14 PM »

New Hampshire

Big difference.  Allen had a number of huge gaffes, which Dole hasn't had.  Also, there was no Presidential race, and in August, Allen led by 4; it only got close in October.

Ok well maybe it not that close to VA, but the end result will be. The fact is Obama camp will bring out voters for him that will vote for Democratics down the ticket. That spells an Hagan win.
Conan
conan

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »

New Hampshire

Ok well maybe it not that close to VA, but the end result will be. The fact is Obama camp will bring out voters for him that will vote for Democratics down the ticket. That spells an Hagan win.
Differences between NJ and NC. Menendez was under federal criminal investigation.  NC has a history of electing democrats and NJ last elected a republican in 1997.  The DSCC is slotted to pour $7,000,000+ into NC.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 08:43:01 PM »

Colorado
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 08:45:14 PM »

Santorum v. Casey, clearly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »

So close that it will be a tie with 0 votes apiece! Tongue
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 08:58:06 PM »

V-I-T-O-C-R-Y!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 10:17:58 PM »

New Hampshire

Differences between NJ and NC. Menendez was under federal criminal investigation.  NC has a history of electing democrats and NJ last elected a republican in 1997.  The DSCC is slotted to pour $7,000,000+ into NC.
All that you say points to Dole winning as she isn't under federal investigation, Kean got money, and Democrats in North Carolina are slowly going the way of Republicans in NJ
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 11:40:47 PM »

Ouch!
Conan
conan

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 12:48:02 AM »

New Hampshire

All that you say points to Dole winning as she isn't under federal investigation, Kean got money, and Democrats in North Carolina are slowly going the way of Republicans in NJ
No....Menendez was only losing within margin of error because he was under F.C.I. You spoke of summer polls and he had a reason to be that close. NC wont have a prob electing a dem. Do I think it will happen at this point? Probably not. Is it comparable to NJ? No.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 06:17:09 AM »

New Hampshire

No....Menendez was only losing within margin of error because he was under F.C.I. You spoke of summer polls and he had a reason to be that close. NC wont have a prob electing a dem. Do I think it will happen at this point? Probably not. Is it comparable to NJ? No.

DWTL please don't talk about NC politics, you have no clue what you are talking about. NC will soon not elect Democrats haha! To bad our US house, State Senate, State house, Governor, LT. Governor almost all the Elected State offices are Democrats.....
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 07:05:02 AM »

DWTL please don't talk about NC politics, you have no clue what you are talking about. NC will soon not elect Democrats haha! To bad our US house, State Senate, State house, Governor, LT. Governor almost all the Elected State offices are Democrats.....
Josh, please don't ever state that you know anything about any states politics ever again.  BTW, that leadership confrence is in town, please go there or cry in a corner like you said you would do before.  This spamming is ridiuculous
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 07:25:52 AM »

Coleman vs. Franken is my guess.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 07:48:58 AM »

How is asking what races will be the closest this year spamming?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 08:13:33 AM »

How is asking what races will be the closest this year spamming?
Because this is about the 5th thread you've created in the last few days discussing your pipedream that Dole is going to lose.  Weren't you going to leave?  That one day was really great, intelligence reigned supreme on this forum
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies