How much do you know about Spanish politics [and history]? NEW QUESTIONS!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:46:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How much do you know about Spanish politics [and history]? NEW QUESTIONS!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much do you know about Spanish politics [and history]? NEW QUESTIONS!  (Read 1901 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2011, 07:54:13 PM »
« edited: August 15, 2011, 08:49:08 AM by Accomidateing »

Take the HashTest! Don't cheat, though, because that's stupid and unfair. Don't feel forced to answer all questions, answer those you know. I'll grade it and send you answers via PM. If I fell like it, I'll publish answers to all later on.

EASY

1. Who is the current President of the Government of Spain, and what is his political affiliation?

2. Name the two houses of the Spanish legislature

3. Who is the current leader of the opposition, and what is his political affiliation?

4. How many autonomous communities (excluding 2 autonomous cities) is Spain divided into?

5. Of the parties which won seats in the 2008 election, only four of them ran in every constituency. Name these four parties, in order of seats held.

6. Who was President of the Government until 2004, that it is until the incumbent took office?

7. Which dictator ruled Spain between 1939 and 1975?

INTERMEDIATE

8. 208 of 264 Senators are elected directly by popular vote. How are the 56 others chosen/elected?

9. In elections to the Congress of Deputies, which administrative divisions form the constituencies used to elect members? For a bonus, how many constituencies are there?

10. How many seats are each constituency in Congress awarded, by law, minimum?

11. Who are the current Presidents of the regional governments of Catalonia, Madrid, Andalusia and Euskadi/Pais Vasco?

12. What is the Generalitat? For bonus, name the four people who have presided the Generalitat since 1980.

13. What is a lehendakari? For bonus, name the four people who have been lehendakaris since 1979.

14. When was ETA founded and what does it stand for, in Basque and/or English?

15. Name the founder of the Popular Alliance (AP) party.

16. Name the six Presidents of Government since November 20, 1975.

17. What does '23-F' refer to? Which Civil Guard officer was the main actor of '23-F'?

18. Who were Alejandro Lerroux, Jose Maria Gil Robles, Niceto Alcala-Zamora, Manuel Azana and Jose Antonio Aguirre? (5 point question!)

19. Who were Antonio Canovas, Práxedes Sagasta, Antonio Maura, Eduardo Dato and Miguel Primo de Rivera? (5 point question!)

TOUGH/INSANE

20. The PSOE has been the largest party in all elections (regional, municipal, EU, general) since 1977 in one province. Which one?

21. The PSOE has been the largest party at least once in municipal, EU and general elections since 1977 in all autonomous communities except one, where the PSOE has never been the largest party in those elections. Which one?

22. In which year and in which French city was Felipe Gonzalez elected to the leadership of the PSOE?

23. What was the Búnker? Who were the aperturistas? Name one prominent figure associated with each.

24. In 1974, ETA split into two factions. Name these factions. Goodies to those who tell me what each faction wanted to do and how they ended up.

25. What was the Junta Democrática and what was the largest party in this Junta Democrática?

26. Who was killed by ETA on December 20, 1973 in Madrid? (this may sound insane, but it's a very famous person)

27. Which of these party acronyms was not linked to Batasuna/ETA?: HB, EHAK, EH, EA.

28. What was the "fast track" to autonomy and which four communities benefited from it?

29. Who came up with the phrase 'cafe para todos' and what does it refer to?

30. In 1970, ETA split into two factions. Name these factions. Goodies to those who tell me what each faction wanted to do and how they ended up.

31. There have been 13 democratic elections in Spain since 1931. In all these elections, only two members were elected to Congress representing an openly far-right party. Who were these members, when where they elected and which party did they represent?

32. Besides Franco, which famous Spaniard died on November 20 (in 1936)?

33. Of the four top 1936 coup leaders, which two died in plane crashes?

34. Which parties won seats in the last regional elections in these regions? Catalonia (2010), Euskadi (2009), Galicia (2009), Madrid (2011), Aragon (2011), Castile-Leon (2011) and Navarre (2011)?

35. Which one of the 17 autonomous communities does not officially have a document called 'statute of autonomy'? What is it called?

36. Was Franco a major douchebag?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »

I'll answer the Insane questions tomorrow. I don't know how to answer half of them Wink
However, I won't waste my time with the other questions, as I have studied that at school and I'm interested on my country's politics Wink

can I answer in Spanish? And I'd like to know the answer to some of the "insane" questions, too.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 08:30:08 PM »

Ok, i'll massively suck at this but let's give it a shot, i have nothing better to do right now Grin

1 - Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero. PSOE

2 - I would guess Diputados y Senadores, but the official name escapes me

3 - Mariano Rajoy. PP

4 - Around 15 maybe?

5 - PSOE, PP, IU...and eehhh.

6 - Aznar

7 - Francisco Franco

8 - I'm guessing the regional parties choose them

9 - eehhh...

10 - same as above

11 - Esperanza Aguirre for Madrid, no idea about the others.

12 - ?

13 - ??

14 - Euskadi something else

15 - Manuel Fraga I think

16 - Suarez, Calvo-Sotelo, Gonzalez, Aznar, Zapatero. Bah, I'm missing one.

17 - a failed Coup.

18 - Azaña and Alcalá Zamora were presidents of the republic, the others I assume were also high republican officials

19 - I'm guessing these were the conservative counterparts of the guys above. Miguel Primo de Rivera was a dictator and probably related to Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera.

20 - Sevilla?

21 - Galicia?

22 - Mid 70's I guess, no idea if it was before Franco or after Franco. No clue about the french city.

23 - Huh

24 - Huh

25 - Opposition to Franco by the Communist party

26 - Luis Carrero Blanco

27 - I'm guessing HB is Batasuna, no idea about the others and which one is the odd one out.

28 - Huh

29 - HuhHuh

30 - Wait, ETA split into 2 factions in both 1970 and 1974? I have no idea either way Tongue

31 - HuhHuh

32 - Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera Grin

33 - HuhHuh

34 - sorry, but i don't want to make a fool out of myself Tongue

35 - Good question...

36 - No...I kid, I kid...YES!

Haha, I suck, sorry Hash Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:42:13 PM »

Oh, good idea. I remember when you did one on another subject (on which I knew much more).

I'll perhaps answer to it later tonight, but I don't know much about España.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:26:31 PM »

Not as much as I'd like to, I suppose.

1. Zapatero, PSOE

2. Congress of Deputies, IIRC. And I think plain old (boring old) Senate. Don't know the Spanish names.

3. Rajoy, PP

4. Er... um... fifteen or sixteen? Let's go with sixteen. I've probably forgotten one or two or double counted or something. Actually, do those two groups of islands count? I think so - so make that eighteen. Probably.

5. PSOE, PP, IU-ICV, UPD. I think UPD ran everywhere, right? Or is this a trick question as IU and ICV aren't the same thing?

6. Little rat-faced prick who sits on Murdoch's board. Aznar.

7. Franco

INTERMEDIATE

8. No idea. Nominated by regional government?

9. Provinces. And I have no idea how many there are.

10. I think it's three.

11. No idea.

12. Regional government of Catalonia.

13. Hmm... looks Basque. But probably not quite the same as above (because of the way you've phrased it). So... I think the head of the regional government in Euskadi.

14. Basque Homeland and Freedom. But I suck at dates so don't know that part.

15. Franco (har, har, har). Fraga.

16. The UCD ones merge into a blur of greyness and I don't know their names. After them, Gonzalez, Aznar, Zapatero.

17. The attempted coup in the early 80s. I forget the name of the ringleader.

18. Prime Ministers (well, Presidents of the Whatever) during the Republic.

19. Prime Ministers (well, Presidents of the Whatever, or perhaps some other title) before the Republic.

TOUGH/INSANE

20. I'll go with the other one: Jaen?

21. Presumably Galacia

22. Paris (unless my memory is totally worthless), but I presume outside the city's formal boundaries otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question. No idea about dates.

23. No idea.

24. Lord knows.

25. Something to do with the Communist party.

26. Don't know.

27. EA... I think.

28. No idea.

29. Coffee over... er... no, I don't know.

30. Still no idea.

31. Don't know.

32. Suck at dates.

33. Don't know.

34. Er... I think I'll pass on that. It's very late. That's my excuse.

35. Er... um... Madrid?

36. Oh yes.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:37:04 AM »

It will be pretty bad, but, hey, why not trying?

1. José Luis Zapatero, PSOE

2. A Senate and a Chamber of the Deputies, I suppose. Which would translate as Senato y Camara de los Deputados, in Spanish.

3. Rajoy, PP.

4. I counted 17, but there is some blanks in the middle of my mental map.

5. PSOE, PP, IU and the awful UPyD?

6. José Maria Aznar.

7. Franco, whose first name is not coming in my mind right now.

8. Europe likes appointment by regional legislatures, so I'll try that.

9. From the provinces. I'll say 52, but, that is a wild guess (or a very good memory to retain things not very useful).

10. 3?

11. I'll pass, really.

12. It is the government of Calalunya/Catalonia/Catalogne.

13. The President of the Regional Governement of País Vasco/Basque Country/Euskadi.

14. 1923? It stands for the independance of Euskadi by all means avaliable, including terrorism.

15. How that guy was named again? Suárez?

16. That Suárez guy, Zapatero, Asnar and I don't know.

17. Veintitrés de Febrero (February 23rd). It is the day where some officer killed Franco? I'm probably very far of truth.

18. No idea. Only Jose Maria Gil Robles rings me a bell, and I can't remember from where. Something with European Union? An European Commissioner, I would guess.

19. No idea. Práxedes is a cool first name, though.

20. That region that sounds like Extreme, my memory says to me. Extremadure? I was to say Andalousia, but that would be too easy.

21. The Navarre? I was to say Euskadi, but that would be too easy.

22. 1974 (just before Franco death), in Perpignan (it is near Spain)? Big guess. If not, it must be one of the annoying suburbs of Paris. But I keep my Perpignan.

23. The Búnker was the inner circle of Franco, I suppose. I don't know the aperturistas, but from the name, I suppose they wanted to open the regime, to bring some democracy. I suppose than Juan Carlos 1st was one of them.

24. Batasuna and PNV?? First one prefered war and was banned, second one prefered peace and democracy and launched into politics.

25. La Junta Democrática was an alliance of the main political parties which managed, with the King, the transition to a complete democracy.

26. I know, in part! The number 2 of the Franco regime. An Admiral, which whose name is not coing to me right now. If I remember well, that event was very important as he was widely seen as the successor of Franco.

27. EA. I think it is a pacifist left-wing party.

28. The election of the first PSOE government? Navarra, Euskadi, Calalunya and Valencia?

29. No idea. I don't like cafe, too.

30. See 24, I suppose than this split happened at some time. They split way too much.

31. Let's try 1931, la Falangia, Franco and someone else.

32. Picasso?

33. No idea.

34. Let's try.
Catalogna: PSC, PP, ERC, CiU, IpC
Euskadi: PNV, EA, Aralat, PSOE, PP.
Galicia: PSOE, PP, IU.
Madrid: PSOE, PP, IU, UPyD
Aragon: PSOE, PP, IU, UPyD
Castille-Léon: PSOE, PP, IU, UPyD
Navarre: PSOE, PP, UPN.

35. Madrid? Statute of Empowerment?

36. Yes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 03:44:43 AM »

1. Who is the current President of the Government of Spain, and what is his political affiliation?
Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, usually shortened to his mother's surname, of the PSOE.

No idea. IIRC the legislature is called the Cortes, or is that the main (lower) house?

3. Who is the current leader of the opposition, and what is his political affiliation?
Mariano Rajoy, PP

4. How many autonomous communities (excluding 2 autonomous cities) is Spain divided into?
I counted 17 off the top of my head; may have forgotten somewhere.

5. Of the parties which won seats in the 2008 election, only four of them ran in every constituency. Name these four parties, in order of seats held.
PSOE, PP, IU, PyD (not sure I got the name right, I know what they stood for and how many votes they got)

6. Who was President of the Government until 2004, that it is until the incumbent took office?
José Maria Aznar, PP

Francisco Franco Bahamonde, silly.

INTERMEDIATE

8. 208 of 264 Senators are elected directly by popular vote. How are the 56 others chosen/elected?
Communities legislatures?

9. In elections to the Congress of Deputies, which administrative divisions form the constituencies used to elect members? For a bonus, how many constituencies are there?
The provinces, which are very old administrative divisions, unchanged since the first half of the 19th century (except the division of the Canaries, IIRC). 50ish.

11. Who are the current Presidents of the regional governments of Catalonia, Madrid, Andalusia and Euskadi/Pais Vasco?
I think I'd go "oh yeah, I knew that" if you threw the names of the first and last of these at me.

12. What is the Generalitat? For bonus, name the four people who have presided the Generalitat since 1980.
The Government of Catalonia.

13. What is a lehendakari? For bonus, name the four people who have been lehendakaris since 1979.
Sounds like it's the Chief Minister of Euskadi.

60s I think. Dunno; E is probably for something beginning in Euska.

Dunno.

Adolfo Suarez, Calvo-Sotelo (first name? He was just some interim solution), Felipe Gonzalez, José Maria Aznar, Zapatero. Wait, who am I forgetting? Some other interim solution presumably?

17. What does '23-F' refer to? Which Civil Guard officer was the main actor of '23-F'?
Never heard the term.

18. Who were Alejandro Lerroux, Jose Maria Gil Robles, Niceto Alcala-Zamora, Manuel Azana and Jose Antonio Aguirre? (5 point question!)
Bourgeois politicians of the 2nd Republic. Lerroux was the leader of the Radical Party, whose heyday was actually during the Monarchy. Its initial stronghold was Catalonia. By the Republic times, it had gone national and moved well to the right, but was still to the left of the essentially fascist CEDA with which it was allied. The Radicals held the Prime Ministership during the Bienio Negro (not sure if it was Lerroux himself; I think it probably was for part of the time), though CEDA was largest party, because President Don Niceto Alcala-Zamora refused point blank to give CEDA leader Gil Robles the office he desired. Which answers who these people were. As President, Alcala-Zamora had been something of a compromise choice between centre-left and centre-right, IIRC. Manuel Azana was the biggest name on the centre-left (the political current usually referred to as the Republicans, split between several parties). He was Prime Minister for at least part of 31-4, and was elected President after the Popular Front victory of 1936. I'd have to look up what happened to all or any of them during the Civil War and after. I do not know this Aguirre person, but his surname is Basque, so maybe he was the leader of the Basque Nationalists at the time (who went over from the centre-right to the left during the Republic... an event that's crucial to understanding Euskadi's post-75 history, of course.)

19. Who were Antonio Canovas, Práxedes Sagasta, Antonio Maura, Eduardo Dato and Miguel Primo de Rivera? (5 point question!)
Canovas was Prime Minister several times, and the dominant figure, during the early years of the sham Constitutional Monarchy of the 1870s (or early 80s?) to 1922, and sort of the mastermind who set that system up. Antonio Maura, originally some sort of reforming Conservative, was Prime Minister several times, and the dominant figure, during the latter years of the sham Constitutional Monarchy of the 1870s (or early 80s?) to 1922.
Primo de Rivera was dictator (under the king) during the 20s and quite the colorful character that it's difficult to unambiguously hate; his fall led fairly quickly to the fall of the monarchy as such. Dato and Sagasta... I've heard the names but can't think who exactly they were right now. Sagasta belongs to an earlier era than Dato.

TOUGH/INSANE

20. The PSOE has been the largest party in all elections (regional, municipal, EU, general) since 1977 in one province. Which one?
Huelva? Cadiz? Sevilla? I can only guess, you see, but Western Andalusia sounds like the best bet.

21. The PSOE has been the largest party at least once in municipal, EU and general elections since 1977 in all autonomous communities except one, where the PSOE has never been the largest party in those elections. Which one?
Navarra?

22. In which year and in which French city was Felipe Gonzalez elected to the leadership of the PSOE?
pass

23. What was the Búnker? Who were the aperturistas? Name one prominent figure associated with each.
pass. I could make a guess based on the terms, but a guess is all it would be.

24. In 1974, ETA split into two factions. Name these factions. Goodies to those who tell me what each faction wanted to do and how they ended up.
A hardline faction that continued the armed struggle, but also had its election-participating ally HB (later banned etc). And a faction that ended the armed struggle... is that EA? Or... wait a second... there was a party called Euskadi Eskerra in the 70s and early 80s, something at the back of my mind tells me it might actually have been these people. Eventually splintered/merged into I forget which parties, presumably including IU.

25. What was the Junta Democrática and what was the largest party in this Junta Democrática?
pass

26. Who was killed by ETA on December 20, 1973 in Madrid? (this may sound insane, but it's a very famous person)
Yeah, some sort of crown prince/fascist big wig was assassinated by ETA around then. I forget his name though.

27. Which of these party acronyms was not linked to Batasuna/ETA?: HB, EHAK, EH, EA.
EH was the refounded HB after the ban, and was banned right again. EHAK was a front for HB/EH after that. EA is also a Basque nationalist party, but nonviolent. See question 24. This question makes it seem that they do indeed not share a pedigree with Batasuna, so the answer there is probably indeed EE.

28. What was the "fast track" to autonomy and which four communities benefited from it?
Catalonia, Euskadi, Andalusia and ...Galicia?... got autonomy a year or three before autonomous communities were established everywhere in Spain, so presumably that.

pass

30. In 1970, ETA split into two factions. Name these factions. Goodies to those who tell me what each faction wanted to do and how they ended up.
Ugh, another ETA split. Maybe that's my answer to the confusing array of Basque Nationalist parties beyond PNV.

31. There have been 13 democratic elections in Spain since 1931. In all these elections, only two members were elected to Congress representing an openly far-right party. Who were these members, when where they elected and which party did they represent?
I disagree with the premise of the second sentence. Azn There were two or three people elected for something to the fascist of AP in either the first or second post-75 election, and I assume you mean that. No idea who the MPs were or what their party was called, of course. But that's claiming the Traditionalist Communion of 1934 was not an "openly far-right party", which is... out there, really.

pass

pass

34. Which parties won seats in the last regional elections in these regions? Catalonia (2010), Euskadi (2009), Galicia (2009), Madrid (2011), Aragon (2011), Castile-Leon (2011) and Navarre (2011)?
pass, don't intend to try.

35. Which one of the 17 autonomous communities does not officially have a document called 'statute of autonomy'? What is it called?
pass

No. He was a world-dwarving douchebag.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 04:37:47 AM »

Yay ! Smiley I will certainly suck at this... but let's try.

EASY

José Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, PSOE (left-wing)

The House of Deputies (lower), and the Senate (higher)

Mariano Rajoy, PP (right-wing)

Ok, let's try to count :
- Catalonia
- Aragon
- Valencia
- Castilla x2
- Andalucia
- Extremadura
- The 3 basque regions
- Asturia
- Cantabria
- Galicia
- Baleares

I'd say 14 (it would be so much easier with a map... Tongue)

PSOE
PP
Izquierda Unida
UPyD

José Maria Aznar (PP)

Francisco Franco

INTERMEDIATE

Hum... Nominated by community governments ?

I know them, just don't know how they're called... Tongue

No idea... 3 ?

Esperanza Aguirre (PP) for Madrid. Absolutely no idea for the others.

Dunno...

Meh...

OK, let's see...
- Some guys from the franquist regime I forgot about
- Adolfo Suarez (UCD), until 1982
- Felipe Gonzalez (PSOE), 1982-1996
- José Maria Aznar (PP), 1996-2004
- José Luis Rodriguez Zapatero (PSOE), 2004-2011

Don't know.

TOUGH/INSANE

No need to even try with this ones...

Yeah, I know, I fail forever.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 05:19:28 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2011, 05:33:28 AM by republicanism »

EASY

- Louis Zapatero, PSOE

- Cortes Generales is the important one. I wasn't sure about the other one, but would have guessed "Senate", which seems to be right as you ask something about Senators later in the test.

- [Forgot his first name] Rajoy, PP

- PSOE, PP, IU, the small centralist one (PyD or UyD?)

- Jose Maria Aznar

- Francesco Franco Bahamonde

INTERMEDIATE

------------

- I would guess the second-tier divisions, which I think are called "provinces". The number of constituencies should be in the range of 35-45.

- Two.

----------------

---------------

- Probably some Basque thing.

- Don't know when it was founded. ETA means something like "Fatherland and Liberty", iirc.

----------------

-----
-----
-----
- Gonzalez
- Aznar
- Zapatero

----------------

- They were important figures in the pre-Civil War, years, that I know. But I haven't read stuff about that time for years, and can't remember who was a Commie, who a liberal Republican, who a right-winger...

- See above. I do remember that de Rivera was some crazy kind of dictator / hasardeur.

TOUGH/INSANE

- Has to be one of the Andalusia provinces. I'll try one that I know: Sevilla?

- Canaries?

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

---------------

--------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

--------------

- Madrid?

- Yes
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »

TOUGH/INSANE

PSOE is still the party with more major in Seville.

Galicia, I guess.

Suresnes (easy), my father happens to be a socialist who visited France and Italy many times in that time. And he continues travelling now. And he's a Felipe Gonzalez lover =)

The Bunker was a movement which, after Franco's death, wanted to continue the Franquism without Franco, like the person I hate the most in Spain right now: Blas Piñar. Aperturistas were those who wanted Spain to be a democratic state. I consider Adolfo Suarez to be one of them.

ETA mili and ETA post-mili? I'm not sure, but I think the first didn't want to be involved in politics and the 2nd wanted.

An organization leaded by Santiago Carrillo and the PC which wanted to organize the opposition since 1974 to do, grosso modo, what happened in Portugal with Salazar.
I don't know what was the larges party, I guess it was PCE, but could it be Tierno Galvan's PSP?

why is this on the "insane" part? Luis Carrero Blanco. but this question, is, at maximum, intermoderate.

EA. But right now, it's linked to ETA.

I don't know how to answer this. and the four communities may be... Catalunya, Galicia, the Basque Country and Andalucia?? I don't know.

It was Adolfo Suarez who said that, and I think it was because he was Segovia's governor and thought Segovia was being threated as a 2nd category community by Franco.

Libertad o Muerte and Revolucion o Muerte? IDK the differences between these 2 factions, but I think the 2nd was majoritary.

I don't know. Before 1939 there were some Falangistas in the congress... and after, we have the radicals from AP and PP like Mayor Oreja, Esperanza Aguirre or Aznar hahaha...

This is easy, hash. Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera. or are you referring to my grand-uncle, who died exactly that day in Galicia?

I know one is Sanjurjo. Who's the other?

Catalunya: CiU, PP, ICV and SI won seats. PSOE and ERC lost seats.
Euskadi: PNV, PSE-EE, Aralar and UPyD won seats. EA, EB-IU and PP lost seats.
Galicia: PSOE kept his 25 congresspeople, PP gained one and BNG lost one.
Madrid: PSOE lost ( Cry ) while IU, UPyD and PP won seats.
Aragon: this is difficult, I can't remember which party lost and which won. PP won, PSOE lost, that for sure. PAR lost and IU and CHA won?
Castilla y Leon: PP won and PSOE lost seats. UPL stayed the same or lost one seat while IU has gained representation with 1 congressperson.
Navarra: UPN and PSOE lost seats. PP is represented now, like Bildu. Nafarroa Bai lost seats while IU gained 1?

Easy. Navarra. but I can't remember the name. Fuero, Estaturo Foral or something like this?

Yes. Easiest.

To be honest, I had to revise my "History of Spain" notebook to remember the names of the factions of ETA in 1974 and 1970, and to remember what was "cafe para todos" referring too Wink So don't count those 2 if you don't want to Wink

One thing I can say is that I didn't used internet!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 09:01:37 AM »

"won seats" means "got any seats", not "gained in seats". Just fyi, Julio. Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »

Apparently in some of the answers I sent out, I wrote that one of the 2 fascist MPs was elected in 1931. He was elected in 1933.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »

"won seats" means "got any seats", not "gained in seats". Just fyi, Julio. Smiley

OK, thanks, I know. I wasn't sure... and I also wanted to test my memory hahaha.. I only forgot that IU didn't gain seats in Aragon and that C's is still represented in Catalunya.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »

Take the HashTest! Don't cheat, though, because that's stupid and unfair. Don't feel forced to answer all questions, answer those you know. I'll grade it and send you answers via PM. If I fell like it, I'll publish answers to all later on.

EASY

INTERMEDIATE

TOUGH/INSANE

Spanish politics is pretty boring but uh

1 - um. I dunno, and, uh, socialist?
2 - the, uh, house, and, um, senate?
3 - I dunno, and Conservative.
4 - uh... I dunno. 10?
5 - Socialist, Conservative, and two others
6 - I dunno
7 - Franco
8 - Appointed by government?
9 - huh?
10 - 3?
11 - I dunno
12 - the what?
13 - the what?
14 - the, 80s? the Basque Indepednence Front?
15 - I dunno
16 - uh. Was one of them a Jose?
17 - I dunno
18 - no clue
19 - I dunno
20 - no idea
21 - no idea
22 - 1975? and, uh... I dunno
23 - uh. what?
24 - one still blows things up the other is into elected politics?
25 - the peeps who replaced franco, and the socialists?
26 - I dunno. That gay guy?
27 - uh. wha?
28 - uh. I dunno, and, um, Catalonia, Andulisia, Galacia, and, uh, the Basque one?
29 - huh?
30 - one still blows things up the other is into elected politics?
31 - I dunno
32 - Picaso??
33 - uh, no clue
34 - wha?
35 - I dunno
36 - uh, probably?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »

NEW QUESTIONS!

random political stuff

1. In which elections did the PSOE win an absolute majority?

2. Aside from the PSOE, PP, IU and UPyD; name four parties which currently hold seats in Congress

3. What is the name of the party founded by Adolfo Suarez in 1982?

4. Name the Navarran party which was, until 2009, allied with the PP in all elections.

5. The following regions have one or more regionalist party of whatever size. T or F?
-Castilla y Leon
-Cantabria
-Asturias
-Aragon
-Murcia
-Extremadura

6. multiple-choice! What was the main cause in the foundation of the Aragonese Party (PAR)... was it...
a. claiming Aragonese national identity
b. Catalans are smelly
c. Water/hydraulic policy
d. Aragonese separatism

electoral geography (answer 5)

1. Name 4 of the 10 provinces which never voted UCD in a general or municipal election. Double credit for naming all 10.

2. What was the last general election in which the PSOE won more provinces than the PP?

3. Which aut. community produces the bulk of Spain's coal production?

4. Name the uniprovincial autonomous communities (all 7)

5. Which autonomous community is the most populated? What was the last general election in which it voted for the AP/PP?

6. Which autonomous community was the PP's strongest in 2008?

7. What is the only Galician province to have voted for the PSOE in general, EU or municipal elections?

8. Asturias, Galicia, Murcia, Cantabria. In which of these 4 regions is the PSOE currently a third-party (third-most seats) in the regional legislature?

9. Which party has won all but one general, EU or municipal elections in Bizkaia province?

10. Which province of Castilla y Leon has a regionalist party notably seeking a separate autonomous community for the province?

11. multiple-choice! Which of these autonomous communities voted against continued Spanish membership in NATO in 1986?
a. Andalusia
b. Murcia
c. Canary Islands
d. Balearic Islands

history stuff

1. Name the three main factions within the PSOE in the 1930s. Include the names of the main leader of each.

2. What was the Pact of San Sebastian signed in August 1930?

3. What was the dictablanda?

4. Which Italian prince served as King of Spain in 1870-1873?

5. What are fueros?

6. What was the dominant regionalist party in Catalonia during the Restoration?

7. Name the founder of the PNV in 1895. Double credit for naming the book he authored.

8. What is the ikurina?

9. What were the familias del regimen under Franco? Name two of these familias del regimen

10. Who was the only President of the Government since 1977 who was defeated for re-election? (this person was the official candidate for president of his party and was defeated, another ran for re-election but not as his party's official candidate for president)
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »

I can answer almost every question (they're easy Smile )
But, please can you PM with the answer of q. 11?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 01:28:51 AM »

Political
1. 1988? (No idea, really, but I backtracked counting by 4 to find each election and I remember about them being strong in that era.)

2. ERC, CiU, CC and PNV?

3. UCD?

4. UPN?

-Castilla y Leon TRUE
-Cantabria FALSE
-Asturias TRUE
-Aragon TRUE
-Murcia FALSE
-Extremadura FALSE

6. c) Water policy (because it seems silly).

Geography (awful results, like most of the quiz. Well, the important is to try and to learn things.)
4. Asturias, Murcia, Navarra, Cantabria, Madrid, Aragon and Canarias?
5. Andalusia, in 1992?
6. Galicia?
8. Asturias?
11. Andalusia?

(Do not count
1. No clue at all.
2. 2004?
3. Castilla-La Mancha?
7. Santiago de Compostela? Is that even a province?
9. PP, it is uber-wealthy, I think.
10. Braganca? Or it is in Portugal?
Do not count-end.)

History (I suck bad, there)
1. no clue
2. no clue
3. no clue
4. no clue
5. no clue
6. no clue
7. no clue
8. no clue
9. no clue
10. still no clue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »

1. In which elections did the PSOE win an absolute majority?
Uh... 1986 maybe? Not sure.

2. Aside from the PSOE, PP, IU and UPyD; name four parties which currently hold seats in Congress
Coalicion Canaria, Bloque Nacional Gallego, Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya, Convergencia y Unio (sp?)

3. What is the name of the party founded by Adolfo Suarez in 1982?
CDS I think.

4. Name the Navarran party which was, until 2009, allied with the PP in all elections.
UPN

5. The following regions have one or more regionalist party of whatever size. T or F?
-Castilla y Leon Used to (Leon only). Defunct now I think, so F
-Cantabria F
-Asturias F
-Aragon T
-Murcia F
-Extremadura F
I think. Maybe one of them is regional-only, that would defeat me.

6. multiple-choice! What was the main cause in the foundation of the Aragonese Party (PAR)... was it...
a. claiming Aragonese national identity
b. Catalans are smelly
c. Water/hydraulic policy
d. Aragonese separatism
The politics of water would matter as much in Aragon as in Arizona, but I'll go with A anyhow.

electoral geography (answer 5)

1. Name 4 of the 10 provinces which never voted UCD in a general or municipal election. Double credit for naming all 10.
Jaen (obviously), let's try with the Andalusians again: Sevilla, Huelva, Cadiz

2. What was the last general election in which the PSOE won more provinces than the PP?
Gee, not a clue.

3. Which aut. community produces the bulk of Spain's coal production?
Asturias?

4. Name the uniprovincial autonomous communities (all 7)
Cantabria, Asturias, La Rioja, Navarra, Baleares, Murcia, Madrid

5. Which autonomous community is the most populated? What was the last general election in which it voted for the AP/PP?
Andalusia? No idea.

6. Which autonomous community was the PP's strongest in 2008?
Castilla-Leon?

7. What is the only Galician province to have voted for the PSOE in general, EU or municipal elections?
No idea, presumably either La Coruna or Pontevedra though.

8. Asturias, Galicia, Murcia, Cantabria. In which of these 4 regions is the PSOE currently a third-party (third-most seats) in the regional legislature?
Galicia

9. Which party has won all but one general, EU or municipal elections in Bizkaia province?
PNV

10. Which province of Castilla y Leon has a regionalist party notably seeking a separate autonomous community for the province?
Leon, duh

11. multiple-choice! Which of these autonomous communities voted against continued Spanish membership in NATO in 1986?
a. Andalusia
b. Murcia
c. Canary Islands
d. Balearic Islands
Never knew there was such a vote.

history stuff

1. Name the three main factions within the PSOE in the 1930s. Include the names of the main leader of each.
Three? There were Prieto's moderates and Largo Caballero's more revolutionary people, and... ?

2. What was the Pact of San Sebastian signed in August 1930?
I heard that somewhere, but I forget.

3. What was the dictablanda?
No clue.

4. Which Italian prince served as King of Spain in 1870-1873?
Amadeo of Savoy

5. What are fueros?
The traditional autonomies of the Basque Country, Navarra and Catalonia.

6. What was the dominant regionalist party in Catalonia during the Restoration?
The Lliga

7. Name the founder of the PNV in 1895. Double credit for naming the book he authored.
No.

8. What is the ikurina?
Some basque thing.

9. What were the familias del regimen under Franco? Name two of these familias del regimen
No clue

10. Who was the only President of the Government since 1977 who was defeated for re-election? (this person was the official candidate for president of his party and was defeated, another ran for re-election but not as his party's official candidate for president)
Umm... Calvo-Sotelo?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies