Sarah Palin for VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:00:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Sarah Palin for VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Could Sarah Palin be a potential VP for McCain?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Sarah Palin for VP?  (Read 2317 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:41:43 AM »

Fox News Sunday theorized on it. I'd have to personally lean no. What would she bring to the table that someone else couldn't?

My personal bet is Crist will be the VP nominee. (50+% chance)
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 11:47:50 AM »

Won't happen.  I'd like to see it, but McCain isn't going make a bold move like that.  Probably, it'll be some safe choice with no chance to shake up the race as much as a VP choice can do that sort of thing.

I really do like her, however.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:21:49 PM »

As Torie nicely put it, what if McCain drops dead?  She has only been governor for a couple years or so, and I'm not so sure if she has the necessary experience to be president.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »

I like Crist, but I think too many questions remain about his interior design expertise for him to be that high in the chain of succession.
GOPFlyer10
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »

Does anyone else think it's odd that Crist got "engaged" at this point in time. I personally thought it was an interesting time for a man that hasn't been married in 28 years to decide to jump into something like that. Hmmm....
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 04:26:23 PM »

Does anyone else think it's odd that Crist got "engaged" at this point in time. I personally thought it was an interesting time for a man that hasn't been married in 28 years to decide to jump into something like that. Hmmm....

I don't think it's "odd."  Instead, I would use the descriptor "incredibly well timed"!

I take it as a terrific sign that he's on the VP short list, and may even be heading it up at this point.  Florida is clearly must-win for McCain, and a the psychological boost Crist would give (plus McCain's current lead there when he's doing poorly nationally) would probably result in Obama giving up on the state.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:33:30 PM »

I like Crist, but I think too many questions remain about his interior design expertise for him to be that high in the chain of succession.

I think it's interesting that he's getting married. Could this have been a precondition to becoming the VP nominee? I still think he lacks adequate experience and Obama could hit on the fact that McCain's VP has less experience than himself.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 05:31:25 PM »

I don't think it's "odd."  Instead, I would use the descriptor "incredibly well timed"!

I take it as a terrific sign that he's on the VP short list, and may even be heading it up at this point.  Florida is clearly must-win for McCain, and a the psychological boost Crist would give (plus McCain's current lead there when he's doing poorly nationally) would probably result in Obama giving up on the state.

I agree that putting Crist on the ticket pushes McCain's chances of winning Florida from about the ~80% I currently see it to >95%.  And taking the state off the table decreases McCain's need for defense in a very expensive state.

I don't see locking Florida down saving McCain, though.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2008, 07:41:34 PM by auburntiger »

Or, he could have found the love of his life. So what?

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 05:38:03 PM »

I chose no.  First off, Alaska will most likely stay Republican despite the closer-than-usual polls in the state right now.  Second, she's too young and too inexperienced and would make deafen the cry against Obama's lack of experience.

I agree with the consensus that McCain will most likely choose Gov. Crist.  He's a bit older than Palin, but more experienced (being Governor of Florida is harder than Governor of Alaska).  He would definitely bring in Florida -- 27 valuable electoral votes and would give McCain the best chance of reaching 270.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 07:42:59 PM »

I chose no.  First off, Alaska will most likely stay Republican despite the closer-than-usual polls in the state right now.  Second, she's too young and too inexperienced and would make deafen the cry against Obama's lack of experience.

I agree with the consensus that McCain will most likely choose Gov. Crist.  He's a bit older than Palin, but more experienced (being Governor of Florida is harder than Governor of Alaska).  He would definitely bring in Florida -- 27 valuable electoral votes and would give McCain the best chance of reaching 270.

I don't think Crist will be the VP nominee...he needs to complete at least one term in office as Florida's governor (experience factor anyone?). Every elected official needs to complete at least one term of whatever they're doing - senator, governor, etc.

McCain will probably choose Pawlenty - youth. Most likely won't carry any upper midwestern states, but at least it would be a good effort.

McCain will probably win Florida anyway, even without Crist. He needs to worry about Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, and maybe Virginia.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »

I chose no.  First off, Alaska will most likely stay Republican despite the closer-than-usual polls in the state right now.  Second, she's too young and too inexperienced and would make deafen the cry against Obama's lack of experience.

I agree with the consensus that McCain will most likely choose Gov. Crist.  He's a bit older than Palin, but more experienced (being Governor of Florida is harder than Governor of Alaska).  He would definitely bring in Florida -- 27 valuable electoral votes and would give McCain the best chance of reaching 270.

I don't think Crist will be the VP nominee...he needs to complete at least one term in office as Florida's governor (experience factor anyone?). Every elected official needs to complete at least one term of whatever they're doing - senator, governor, etc.

McCain will probably choose Pawlenty - youth. Most likely won't carry any upper midwestern states, but at least it would be a good effort.

McCain will probably win Florida anyway, even without Crist. He needs to worry about Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, and maybe Virginia.

Yet being able to spend proportionally less money per capita in Florida, the most populous swing state, will allow him to compete in all of your listed swing states and then some, right? 

And Obama hasn't completed a full term either.

I don't necessarily think Crist is a shoe-in, but I think he got seriously positive signals from McCain's vetting team which is why he proposed to his girlfriend.  A VP marriage will make a great campaign event, no?

Palin has a chance, but is a serious longshot due to her super-recent first election to executive of one of the smallest states in the country.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 09:43:32 PM »

Palin will be considered, but for PR purposes only. 

See, we considered a woman for the ticket.

McCain's number one criteria for Vice President is to pick someone who will be ready, prepared, and capable of stepping into the Presidency should something happen to McCain.

At this point in time, Palin is lacking incredibly in that department.

So no, she will get nowhere near being considered seriously.

Crist does have a good shot at the VP nod, however, his convenient engagement, at this point in time, will be seen by many in the country as a cynical ploy and a manipulative and opportunistic grab for power.

This would become a laughing point in the press and on the late night talk show circuit.

And McCain does not need, nor can he afford, to have his Vice Presidential pick, the most important decision he will make as a nominee, become a focal point for comedy shows laugh lines and levity in the press.

If McCain is considering Crist seriously, he would be well advised to reconsider.  With Crist, the McCain campaign could be over before it gets off the ground.
RouterJockey
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 11:46:55 PM »

Palin has a chance, but is a serious longshot due to her super-recent first election to executive of one of the smallest states in the country.

I'm going to assume that by "smallest" you are really referring to "least populous".  :-)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 12:32:39 AM »

I'm going to assume that by "smallest" you are really referring to "least populous".  :-)

Word.  Some things I say are contextual yo.

Anyway, the point is that being executive of the 48th least populated state isn't THAT credible... I mean, there are plenty of mayors who have managed more people and tighter budgets.  I don't have anything against Palin, but I don't think her executive experience necessarily is enough to deflect arguments that she is too inexperienced considering McCain's key arguments about Obama's own inexperience.

She had a great, moral story though.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 08:33:13 AM »

Palin will be considered, but for PR purposes only. 

See, we considered a woman for the ticket.

McCain's number one criteria for Vice President is to pick someone who will be ready, prepared, and capable of stepping into the Presidency should something happen to McCain.

At this point in time, Palin is lacking incredibly in that department.

So no, she will get nowhere near being considered seriously.

Crist does have a good shot at the VP nod, however, his convenient engagement, at this point in time, will be seen by many in the country as a cynical ploy and a manipulative and opportunistic grab for power.

This would become a laughing point in the press and on the late night talk show circuit.

And McCain does not need, nor can he afford, to have his Vice Presidential pick, the most important decision he will make as a nominee, become a focal point for comedy shows laugh lines and levity in the press.

If McCain is considering Crist seriously, he would be well advised to reconsider.  With Crist, the McCain campaign could be over before it gets off the ground.
Everyone needs to understand that Palin and Crist both have the same amount of executive experience.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 09:05:59 AM »

Word.  Some things I say are contextual yo.

Anyway, the point is that being executive of the 48th least populated state isn't THAT credible... I mean, there are plenty of mayors who have managed more people and tighter budgets.  I don't have anything against Palin, but I don't think her executive experience necessarily is enough to deflect arguments that she is too inexperienced considering McCain's key arguments about Obama's own inexperience.

She had a great, moral story though.

The 48th least populated state would be New York (#3 most populous state).  So, assuming you meant Alaska, you would be talking about the 48th MOST populated state.  BTW, Florida is #4 most populous (#47 least populous).

if you count from the most, you're counting down.  If you're counting from the least, you're going up.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 09:19:31 AM »

Everyone needs to understand that Palin and Crist both have the same amount of executive experience.

Attorney General is an executive position with more power than the mayor of Icy Stream or wherever she was from, and governing Florida is a much more complex task than governing Alaska, despite the best efforts of Alaska's officials to make it a challenge.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »

No, not quite...

being the governor of the nation's 4th largest state easily trumps that of one of the nation's least populous states, holding length of term constant.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 10:37:33 AM »

I didn't mean to insist otherwise.  I currently see McCain losing the electoral vote badly nationwide, but still narrowly holding on to Florida.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 12:27:48 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2008, 12:42:45 PM by L. Ron Hubbard was a liar and a false prophet »

I agree that putting Crist on the ticket pushes McCain's chances of winning Florida from about the ~80% I currently see it to >95%.  And taking the state off the table decreases McCain's need for defense in a very expensive state.

No, more like 80% to 85%.

Not enough people base their vote on who the bottom of the ticket is.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 01:17:49 PM »

Not a good pick for the time, she needs to get more experience and then go for something higher up. She'd make a good President eventually.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 01:39:41 PM »

I hope Republicans enjoy the taste of crow.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies