Selection: Santorum?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:42:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Selection: Santorum?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Selection: Santorum?  (Read 3529 times)
RJ
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 10:54:58 PM »

Just because he didn't win them (again, consider his opponent) doesn't mean he doesn't have sway with them. McCain-Santorum vs. Obama-Biden would be nothing like Santorum vs. Casey. Obama-Biden doesn't have the type of appeal that the Casey name has with white, blue collar, Catholic voters.

While I disagree that this voting block we've argued over is as organized as you've made them out to be, when you lose an election by 17+ points, it stands to reason you've alienated just about every voting block there is. Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't have expected Rick to beat Casey but I would've figured he'd come closer than 17+points.

I think Santorum would be disaster for McCain amongst these voters.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 10:55:29 PM »

phil, santorum compared homosexuality to having sex with dogs.

mccain doesnt want to go there.

In addition Santorum would by default unify the democratic and liberal base.

Santorum doesn't irritate the Democratic voters that McCain still has a chance with.

Really?Huh? The only democratic voters Mccain has a chance with are older women and they are pro-abortion rights. Also Mccain has a chance to do relatively well with gays but yeah with Santorum..lololol

And since when are older women "Pro Abortion rights?"

Trust me Hillary voters are pro-abortion/women's rights. Those who aren't already vote republican.

Yay for simplistic thinking! I'm sure every Hillary supporter especially in states like Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, etc. are 100% Pro Choice/"Women's rights."

I never said they were 100% pro choice dumbass. But guess what a lot of them are. That is their issue, women's rights. Many of these Hillary supporters who are hesitant to go over to Obama's side are basically democrat on most issues, but for some reason felt Obama was given preferential treatment. They feel as if Hillary was not chosen because she was a woman. Democrats can win without winning blue collar catholics by decent margins, but they certainly cannot win when women don't vote with their usual high margins for democrats. There is a chance Mccain can pull away a lot of these moderate women voters, but he will not do it with Santorum. Anyways as I have said I would absolutely love for Santorum to be the pick.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »

While I disagree that this voting block we've argued over is as organized as you've made them out to be, when you lose an election by 17+ points, it stands to reason you've alienated just about every voting block there is. Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't have expected Rick to beat Casey but I would've figured he'd come closer than 17+points.

I think Santorum would be disaster for McCain amongst these voters.

I really have no idea how you can believe that "white, blue collar, Catholic voters" aren't a major, organized group especially in a state like PA. I really don't understand that. But, hey, whatever.

I never said they were 100% pro choice dumbass.

Oh, ok! So the comment about them being Pro Choice or actually voting Republican meant what exactly?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not expecting to win Hillary's original base (her personal fan club). However, plenty of blue collar, populist types that would have been huge for Edwards ended up going for her over Obama. They might not be the Hillary fanatics but they consider themselves more loyal to Hillary than Obama. Right now, a lot of them don't have a candidate to back. Let's see what happens.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ok, great!  Roll Eyes
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 11:00:21 PM »

Santorum would end McCain chances...

next
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 11:12:56 PM »

next

Some common sense from an unlikely source.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 11:16:43 PM »

next

jmf is full of common sense, just as long as you keep the conversation away from Jesus.  Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »

next

jmf is full of common sense, just as long as you keep the conversation away from Jesus.  Smiley

Well I just had to say that because he thinks Palin will be Mccain's VP so he's not totally full of common sense. Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 11:18:26 PM »

next

Hell, back when he posted more often, jmf was one of the forums most profound posters... not to say he isn't now, but he doesn't post enough.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 11:23:27 PM »

phil, santorum compared homosexuality to having sex with dogs.

mccain doesnt want to go there.

I think Santorum didn't compare the two.  I think he said one led to the other.  I'm not completely sure what he meant.  But I suspect it follows along the lines of some preachers...

"Adam and Steve get tired of the buttsex and need something more titilating to get off...so they go after Rover and Fido."

I'm not sure which idea is crazier.  But at least Santorum has never said gays should be put to death.  I gotta give him props for that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 10:30:57 AM »

next

jmfcst is one of the most well-informed posters.  He's a regular listener of NPR and stays abreast of current events better than most folks.  Myself included.  He can be intimidating, though.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 10:51:20 AM »

next

jmfcst is one of the most well-informed posters.  He's a regular listener of NPR and stays abreast of current events better than most folks.  Myself included.  He can be intimidating, though.

I agree he is well-informed.  And he and I have our serious tussles.  But intimidating?  Nah, he's a pretty nice fellow.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »

Well congratulations are certainly on the order for jmfct. Not only did he have the common sense to understand Santorum would be a bad pick but he also guessed right that it would be Palin. Well done sir.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies