Rate Obama's Speech: Was The One's Speech a ten or a one?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:43:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Rate Obama's Speech: Was The One's Speech a ten or a one?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Grade the speech
A+

A

A-

B+

B

B-

C+

C

C-

D

F

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Rate Obama's Speech: Was The One's Speech a ten or a one?  (Read 5711 times)
jacob_101

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »

A

Good delivery.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2008, 10:32:37 PM »

Great, I thought.  One of his best.

Best line?  "John McCain, we all put our country first".

As to the Fox News assessment that it was "the same old liberal claptrap"...I think they almost have it right.  Obama did say what Kerry said four years ago.  Just better, and with more emotion and conviction.  I have no illusions that even a single conservative was persuaded.  Hence, I still believe we will lose this election.  America is, I am sorry to say, a conservative nation.

That said, speaking as a liberal, I think Obama was absolutely right on almost every point.  I might quibble on a couple of items, but he pretty much put into words what my philosophy is.  

On a more emotive note, I got choked up watching Sasha and Joe Biden's granddaughter playing with the streamers together.  I have a little seven year old girl who plays with the neighbor girl every day.  And I think of Dr. King's dream of little white children and little black children together.  Yeah, cheesy I know.  But I believe King is celebrating today.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2008, 10:34:58 PM »

I give it a B+.

There were a few parts that seemed off. When he said "I won't say McCain is only taking positions for political purposes", I thought that was a little hypocritical considering that some of his surrogates, including Kerry last night, just insinuated that. What he was really trying to say there was that he won't attack McCain's patriotism, but that would have been too obvious to say. And I'd have to agree with angus on the bin Laden cave point.

This speech was probably not the best speech in terms of overall "goodness", but if I was grading it on presenting his candidacy I would give it a higher grade, probably an A. One gets a good idea where he stands for and is trying to argue for, even if you don't agree or there are blind or missing spots here or there.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »

I think this speech is hitting every punch perfectly and preempting many of the big arguments we expect to see in the coming months.

I will rate it full after I watch the media's reaction, but I figure around an A.

C+/B-, from a purely non-partisan perspective.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great and I don't think it moved the ball a single yard.

BTW... why did you ask us to rate 1-10 and then put in a grading system?  Wink
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2008, 10:39:44 PM »

from a purely non-partisan perspective.

We would expect nothing less! Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »

I think this speech is hitting every punch perfectly and preempting many of the big arguments we expect to see in the coming months.

I will rate it full after I watch the media's reaction, but I figure around an A.

C+/B-, from a purely non-partisan perspective.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great and I don't think it moved the ball a single yard.

BTW... why did you ask us to rate 1-10 and then put in a grading system?  Wink

Irony, I think I'm hilarious.

I think the speech will have an impact by, as I said, preempting certain themes (Like "Country First" and "Obama's a celebrity" and "Obama's an elitist") and attempting to spin them the other way around.  I also think this speech effectively painted this election as Democrat vs. Republicans & Bush instead of Obama, Obama, Obama.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2008, 10:40:59 PM »

A solid A.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2008, 10:42:30 PM »

I might get into it and get as messy as anyone else, but I can put the "objective" hat on when the occasion calls for it.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2008, 10:44:40 PM »

I might get into it and get as messy as anyone else, but I can put the "objective" hat on when the occasion calls for it.

Then the only other conclusion that I can reach is that, in my opinion, you are terribly out of touch with what just happened.

Which sounds really bitchy but I don't mean it to be.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2008, 10:45:27 PM »

Frank Luntz (Republican pollster pro) said the speech was great and predicted a 10 point lead 72 hours from now.  Not saying that means anything, but it's interesting.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »

A....It might not have been as "inspirational" as his earlier speeches but he laid out specifics in this one and challenged John Mccain. Also the way he said patriotism is not right wing or left was wonderful and his quote about troops fighting for the UNITED states of America was wonderful as well.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2008, 10:46:52 PM »

Frank Luntz (Republican pollster pro) said the speech was great and predicted a 10 point lead 72 hours from now.  Not saying that means anything, but it's interesting.
That's less than what McCain's people were anticipating. Probably accurate though, voters really are that impressionable.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2008, 10:47:49 PM »

That's less than what McCain's people were anticipating. Probably accurate though, voters really are that impressionable.

He was really impressed by it.  He says he's never seen anyone on their feet for so long during any of the 8 conventions he's been to.

For what it's worth (little).
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2008, 10:49:17 PM »

The AP continues their long slide into journalistic crap:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Epic fail.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2008, 10:49:22 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2008, 10:51:40 PM by Beet »

Alright. I'm not gonna lie. It wasn't perfect but I really, really liked it. The B+ was an attempt to be objective.

Oh yes... and the illegal immigration line should have been left out... unless that was a pander to Hispanics. The truth is, most people feel that it would be better for a mother to be separated from her children than for someone to live here illegally.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2008, 10:53:51 PM »

The media is practically cumming in their pants right now (well, at least MSNBC and CNN.) about the speech. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2008, 10:54:45 PM »

The media is practically cumming in their pants right now (well, at least MSNBC and CNN.) about the speech. 

You're kidding me!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2008, 10:55:25 PM »

Alright. I'm not gonna lie. It wasn't perfect but I really, really liked it. The B+ was an attempt to be objective.

Oh yes... and the illegal immigration line should have been left out... unless that was a pander to Hispanics. The truth is, most people feel that it would be better for a mother to be separated from her children than for someone to live here illegally.

Really?Huh?  I don't think anybody with half a heart would advocate separating a mother and child.  But many I overestimate the decency of people in general.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »

You just wanted to write the word cum.  But I agree.  CNN was pretty excited.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2008, 10:56:44 PM »

You're kidding me!

Well, CNN, at least during most of this Convention, has maintained a pretty good balance of objectivity. Right now, they're acting like MSNBC.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2008, 10:56:53 PM »

AP also apparently wrote their story before the speech ended... what a joke.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2008, 10:57:41 PM »

Greta on FOX is a one-track record, inserting attacks on Obama in every single question she was asking the pollster Luntz.  "Can he deliver, will the message really stick considering Obama doesn't have much substance?" etc. x10.

I'm just flipping back and forth between MSNBC and FOX to get the two extremes.  Pat Buchanan was quite generous to the speech as well - the other commentators called it "gushing."
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2008, 11:01:43 PM »

Really?Huh?  I don't think anybody with half a heart would advocate separating a mother and child.  But many I overestimate the decency of people in general.

I don't know... it works like this. Most people, if this woman is their maid, or they know them personally, will put family unity first, and even might passionately. But thinking about it in the abstract, their reaction will be, well she should have thought about that before coming here illegally. Many people who will be compassionate on a personal level will be hardheaded when thinking about something in the abstract. If this were not the case, I believe liberals would win almost every election.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2008, 11:02:49 PM »

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2008, 11:05:59 PM »

Really?Huh?  I don't think anybody with half a heart would advocate separating a mother and child.  But many I overestimate the decency of people in general.

I don't know... it works like this. Most people, if this woman is their maid, or they know them personally, will put family unity first, and even might passionately. But thinking about it in the abstract, their reaction will be, well she should have thought about that before coming here illegally. Many people who will be compassionate on a personal level will be hardheaded when thinking about something in the abstract. If this were not the case, I believe liberals would win almost every election.

actually, this was about the only part of Obama's speech that I agreed with
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies