Why Palin Works
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:09:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Why Palin Works
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Why Palin Works  (Read 18034 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2008, 09:42:27 AM »

Sarah Palin is a nearly flawless choice for Vice-President, assuming she has been thoroughly vetted and has no skeletons in her closet.  While a VP choice isn't what makes a campaign entirely, it often strongly contributes to a campaign's failure. Witness, McGovern-Eagleton/Shriver or Bush/Quayle.

Here's why Palin works...

1.    She's not just against abortion rights.  She's a leader in the anti-choice, anti-feminist movement.  She is a born again, evangelical Christian.  She has five children, including a down syndrome baby.  While being anti-choice may not help McCain win independants and moderates, it is not a make or break issue for them.  And it WILL energize and mobilize millions of conservative Christians and abortion rights opponents.  Sure, they might have grudgingly voted for McCain anyway.  But now, they will talk him up and get their churches mobilized. 

2.    She came into prominence in Alaska as a reformer.  The Alaska Republican party was and is steeped in corruption.  Palin spoke out against that corruption, but remained a Republican.  She has been untouched by the scandal.  She has her own mini-scandal, but folks...unless the whole story hasn't been told, it has no legs.  (She used her influence to get a state trooper fired.  The cop was the spouse of Palin's sister and was involved in a bitter custody battle.)

3.    True.  She has virtually no foreign policy experience.  But as number two on the ticket, that's a lot less important than if she were number one.  If Democrats bring up her being just a two year governor, Republicans can counter and say Obama is just a four-year Senator.  And he has had NO administrative experience.  What's more, he's at the TOP of the ticket, not number two.  The only hole open for Democrats is this -- (and it's a dicey one) -- McCain is 72 and has had three bouts with cancer.  If he goes down, she's President.  If Obama goes down, Biden is President.  But like I say -- Democrats say that at the risk of appearing like they are almost rooting for McCain's demise.

4.    Alaska is as far from Washington as you can get.  That will help with those who say McCain is too much of an old D.C. hand.

5.    Palin will peel off the most disgruntled, disaffected Hillary voters.  Not many...because she's pretty extreme on abortion.  But those who wanted a woman in the White House, or a heartbeat away, and are furious with Obama...might be willing to snub him by voting for Palin because she's a woman.  Let's face it.  Some people are going to vote for Obama just because he's black.  Well, some people will vote for Palin just because she's a woman. 

6.   Joe Biden is smarter on foreign affairs and far more experienced.  But he also can get seriously tough on his opponents.  If he ate Tim Pawlenty or Rob Portman alive, it would be politics.  If he eats sweet Sarah alive, he's a monster.  Biden is going to have to be very, very careful in how he speaks to and about her.  And Biden could easily err by being too aggressive.  Or, by being too timid in an effort not to turn people off.  This pick hobbles Biden significantly.

7.    Obama has the youth vote, no doubt.  But, those undecided male voters -- in the 18 to 35 age range -- will gravitate to the Republican ticket.  They'll like McCain's toughness and heroism.  But they'll also like the fact that Palin is smokin' hot.  Am I saying some people vote for superficial reasons?  Hell, yes.  Voting for Obama just because he's black...voting for Hillary just because she's a woman...voting against someone because they are fat or old or black or whatever...it's all stupid.  But millions of Americans do it.  I don't mean to say Palin lacks substance.  ON THE CONTRARY.  Every interview I have seen with her impresses me.  She is intelligent, articulate and kind.  I don't want to take anything away from her...just as people should not take away from Obama.  But that doesn't change the fact that some people don't care about issues, intellect or character.  They care about looks. 

8.    Any bounce from this convention is completely nullified.  Palin is exciting.  Portman, not so much.  LOL

Barring future revelations or implosions, I think the Palin choice -- combined with the usual GOP smear tactics against Obama (a la Kerry, Cleland) -- put the Democratic ticket in serious trouble.  I stand by my earlier assertions that we are pretty much toast.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 09:45:09 AM »

Also, I just can't see Obama running beating heart ads against Palin a la Quayle.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »

A very, very risky choice.  I'm surprised they did it.  We'll see what happens ...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:48:47 AM »

I think it was an excellent choice. It truly does scare me.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 10:03:56 AM »

There's no down side whatsoever.  Unless something else comes out about her.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:05:30 AM »

Didn't you use to be a Republican, J? Are you sure your subconscious is not trying to tell you something?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 10:06:08 AM »

Oh come on.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 10:07:18 AM »

There's no down side whatsoever.  Unless something else comes out about her.

McCain's 72nd Birthday is her downside
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 10:11:41 AM »

Tactically, it seems smart to me for many of the reasons you list above (esp. neutralization of Biden).  I can't say it's a strong pick until I watch her on TV, which I'll get the chance to in about 50 minutes.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 10:14:42 AM »

Didn't you use to be a Republican, J? Are you sure your subconscious is not trying to tell you something?

How do we beat her?  

Inexperienced?  They'll admit she is.  And say that's why they put the inexperience at the bottom of the ticket.  Democrats put inexperience at the TOP.  ( I still believe Obama's experience outweighs Palin's by far.  But will the public see it that way. )

Scandal?  Unless there's more to troopergate, she's squeaky clean.

Do we let Biden rip her apart?  That's gonna backfire with millions of men and some women.

Too conservative?  I think she might be, I don't really know.  But so what?  Americans have voted for extremists like Bush and Cheney, Palin's not gonna scare them.  

A pander?  Sure she is.  But does that ever backfire?

When I say she doesn't have a down side, I mean she doesn't have a down side as a selection.  As a strategy.  She SURELY has a down side as a potential Vice President...just as McCain has many down sides as a potential President.  I am voting for Obama-Biden and will work my ass off for them.  But I am a lot more scared we will lose.  And I'd feel much better with Romney or Portman were on the ticket.
skoods
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 10:15:24 AM »

She is a staunchly pro-choice woman who will not appeal to any Hillary or Obama voters. She's vastly inexperienced which will make independents nervous.
skoods
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 10:19:36 AM »

How do we beat her?  

Inexperienced?  They'll admit she is.  And say that's why they put the inexperience at the bottom of the ticket.  Democrats put inexperience at the TOP.  ( I still believe Obama's experience outweighs Palin's by far.  But will the public see it that way. )

Do we let Biden rip her apart?  That's gonna backfire with millions of men and some women.

Too conservative?  I think she might be, I don't really know.  But so what?  Americans have voted for extremists like Bush and Cheney, Palin's not gonna scare them.  

When I say she doesn't have a down side, I mean she doesn't have a down side as a selection.  As a strategy.  She SURELY has a down side as a potential Vice President...just as McCain has many down sides as a potential President.  I am voting for Obama-Biden and will work my ass off for them.  But I am a lot more scared we will lose.  And I'd feel much better with Romney or Portman were on the ticket.

IMO, this pick guarantees an Obama presidency. Stupid, stupid choice. Obama made the safe choice, McCain made the high risk, low reward pick. Palin won't appeal to Hillary or Obama women. She will hurt with independents because of her lack of experience.
skoods
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 10:20:02 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hilarity.

The worshipers of "the one" are bad at spin.

Come talk to me in November, jackass.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 10:22:51 AM »

How do we beat her?  

We don't "beat her." We focus on the issues of this goddamned election, which is about this country's future, not the VP pick.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 10:23:59 AM »

I've never seen a VP pick lose or win the Presidency since Johnson in 1960, maybe (and that was for different reasons.  I doubt that will change this year.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 10:24:17 AM »

My Clinton-supporting friend who was upset with Obama for not showing more respect for Hillary during the convention: "Someone should tell Republicans that women aren't interchangeable."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 10:24:46 AM »

I've never seen a VP pick lose or win the Presidency since Johnson in 1960, maybe (and that was for different reasons.  I doubt that will change this year.

Sam, when was the last time a 72 year old ran for his FIRST term as President?  (not a rhetorical question)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 10:27:40 AM »

How do we beat her?  

We don't "beat her." We focus on the issues of this goddamned election, which is about this country's future, not the VP pick.

Of course we focus on the issues. And this country's future.

That's what Gore and Kerry did.  And with an electorate that preferred a mouth-breathing moron who doesn't much like books to either of them, I am not hopeful.  My best hope is that McCain is a fairly intelligent guy, too.  At least compared to The Decider.  So maybe it will be close enough that Obama can eke it out.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 10:29:10 AM »

My Clinton-supporting friend who was upset with Obama for not showing more respect for Hillary during the convention: "Someone should tell Republicans that women aren't interchangeable."

I suspected this might be the case. If Sebelius seemed unacceptable, wouldn't Palin be more so (less "qualified", younger, prettier)? But I was always skeptical of the idea that many people were really that against a woman other than Clinton. Maybe I was wrong.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 10:30:18 AM »

Tactically, it seems smart to me for many of the reasons you list above (esp. neutralization of Biden).  I can't say it's a strong pick until I watch her on TV, which I'll get the chance to in about 50 minutes.

Ditto. Also she is not qualified to be president on paper. She will have to rebut that presumption.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »

This pick really got under your skin.

Perhaps you should ask your "messiah" to comfort you in your time of need.

Drop the messiah nonsense.  No one on the forum is saying that or behaving like that.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »

This pick really got under your skin.

Perhaps you should ask your "messiah" to comfort you in your time of need.

Drop the messiah nonsense.  No one on the forum is saying that or behaving like that.

This is ghostmonkey, of "Hillary!" fame. It's not going away.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 10:33:44 AM »

Ditto. Also she is not qualified to be president on paper. She will have to rebut that presumption.

We shall see.  I personally think that is less important, though GM3 obviously disagrees with me and I guess you do too.  Anyway, that's part of the reason why we have to see her on TV first.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 10:41:09 AM »

Exactly for those who were concerned about McCain's age - a 44 year old whose ONLY significant Government experience is being governor of Alaska for less than 2 years - is not going to ease their concerns.

A woman isn't just not pro-choice... but active in the pro-life movement is NOT, repeat NOT going to swing suburban women in PA, OH among others. Any woman who is THAT anti-choice was not going to vote for Obama anyway.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »

We shall see.  I personally think that is less important, though GM3 obviously disagrees with me and I guess you do too.  Anyway, that's part of the reason why we have to see her on TV first.

I'm very anxious to see how she does.  This is perhaps the most important speech of the campaign.  She does well, she's a legit choice.  If she screws it up somehow, McCain looks horrible and suffers a permanent setback.

BTW, what the hell is up with a bad cover of Paralyzer?  Seriously?  I can't think of many more songs more inappropriate for a VP unveiling.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies