Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:25:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13
Poll
Question: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: Is Sarah Palin qualified to be President of the United States?  (Read 25869 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 30, 2008, 12:53:14 PM »

and that will only be amplified for someone who comes from a rural area in a remote part of the globe.

hur, hur, hur. rUralz aRe sTupId!!!!11111

Does anyone wonder why these guys can't win office outside of those elected by their state? As we've seen by their supporters here they must be pretty clueless.

Actually, if you look at the context of my quote is that I merely said that she might not be as aware of some of the specifics of global affairs as these senators.  I indeed stated that it's probably that many senators would make the same mistake as well, but being a rural mayor and, let's face it, governor for a good chunk of her adult life, her odds aren't great.  I think she is quite intelligent of a woman, but that her ability to distinguish Iraq's major ethnic groups or find Afghanistan/Georgia on a map might be the same as the average American and not what we expect our politicians to be able to do.  "Oh, I'm learning still" might not cut it and open for a minor Obama attack on her credibility.

My hometown I grew up in has 3,000 people, so smaller than Palin's village up in Alaska.  I didn't know my neighbors and my cat got eaten by a cougar when I was a kid.  I doubt any of y'all who are calling me an elitist grew up in a more rural area than me.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #251 on: August 30, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »

ut being a rural mayor and, let's face it, governor for a good chunk of her adult life, her odds aren't great.

Don't see why being a rural mayor would be any more of a problem in that area than a city one. It's not as though urban (and suburban) local politicians are especially noted for their lack of parochialism.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I grew up in a row of converted agricultural labourers cottages in the middle of nowhere, next to a minor road and lots of fields (mostly used for grazing sheep).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #252 on: August 30, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »

ut being a rural mayor and, let's face it, governor for a good chunk of her adult life, her odds aren't great.

Don't see why being a rural mayor would be any more of a problem in that area than a city one. It's not as though urban (and suburban) local politicians are especially noted for their lack of parochialism.

I grew up in a row of converted agricultural labourers cottages in the middle of nowhere, next to a minor road and lots of fields (mostly used for grazing sheep).
Wasilla isn't "rural" really. By northeastern standards certainly, but by Alaskan standards that's suburbia.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #253 on: August 30, 2008, 01:34:26 PM »

Wasilla isn't "rural" really. By northeastern standards certainly, but by Alaskan standards that's suburbia.

Is Wasilla near Anchorage then?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #254 on: August 30, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »

Ok, you may have tied/beat me in the rural contest, haha, but I have 98% of Americans beat.

Well, I think there are a few answers to this.  First of all, sure, even if she was mayor of Seattle, she would still have foreign affairs probs.  Second, I mean rural in two senses, not only is her hometown rural but her state is in a remote part of the globe.  Third, combining the two senses in my "second" comment, I think the farther you are from an urban hub, the more you prioritize local news over briefing yourself up on international affairs.  I mean, do you think anyone gets the Financial Times in Wasilla, Alaska?  The biggest newspaper I saw anyone get in my hometown was the Sacramento Bee.  I mean, I'm sure she's watched the news and all, but at best she'd have the same international knowledge as a generic mayor, which, as you said, isn't much and could pose a problem if she doesn't get it all down before the media barrage.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #255 on: August 30, 2008, 01:45:54 PM »

Is Wasilla near Anchorage then?
Quite so.

This is a map of the State Senate district Wasilla is in.

That grey line in the south is the Anchorage City boundary (note that the continuous urban built-up area of Anchorage lies slightly outside the map to the southwest, though). West-east extension of this map is 65 miles.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #256 on: August 30, 2008, 01:46:43 PM »

Wikipedia says, if I remember correctly, that 35% of the population commutes to Anchorage.
NJ4OBAMA
Rookie

« Reply #257 on: August 30, 2008, 01:56:07 PM »

Obama has been tested already by very important decisions with the selection of Campaign staff that are considered one of the greatest campaign staffs that a Presidential Candidate ever had in a campaign. Also the selection of the Vice Presidential Candidate with Joe Biden who has experience and is a person who can reach out to Blue Collar Americans.
Palin needs to prove that she can be an effective VP. I think that she won't.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #258 on: August 30, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »

My newspaper pretends that this pick was a big surprise. Huh

When she was listed on all the shortlists, and the only reason I didn't think it likely was that it seemed too obvious, including too obviously pandering.

Nah, she was on the long lists and most medium lists, but not the short lists I saw in the media.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #259 on: August 30, 2008, 02:52:30 PM »

No, but neither is Obama entirely.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #260 on: August 30, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »

I honestly don't know if she's qualified or not.  She will definitely have to prove herself.

Obama has proven that he is qualified to be president over the past 18 months.  Sarah Palin has been largely unknown for most of that time.

I have no doubt she could pull it off, if the need were to arise, I just don't know how great she would be at it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2008, 03:15:35 PM »

Yes!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2008, 03:24:01 PM »

Yes, and the bar has been lowered this year.
Jacobtm

« Reply #263 on: August 30, 2008, 04:49:22 PM »

Who knows? The length of your resume means nothing. Gordon Brown anyone?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #264 on: August 30, 2008, 04:57:54 PM »

Another anecdotal: my mother loves Hilary (and Bill) Clinton, and absolutely hated Obama in the primaries, though she's come around to an extent. She's still hostile to Obama though, and has said that, while she supports the Democrat, she wouldn't mind a McCain victory. But she is completely opposed to the Palin pick. She's especially angry that Palin talked about the glass ceiling and Clinton's work to break it in her speech yesterday, as my mom believes that Clinton is entitled to be the first woman to become president, and thinks that Palin coming along from nowhere with no accomplishments to steal Clinton's spotlight is disgusting.
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 2.09

« Reply #265 on: August 30, 2008, 05:03:46 PM »

Another anecdotal: my mother loves Hilary (and Bill) Clinton, and absolutely hated Obama in the primaries, though she's come around to an extent. She's still hostile to Obama though, and has said that, while she supports the Democrat, she wouldn't mind a McCain victory. But she is completely opposed to the Palin pick. She's especially angry that Palin talked about the glass ceiling and Clinton's work to break it in her speech yesterday, as my mom believes that Clinton is entitled to be the first woman to become president, and thinks that Palin coming along from nowhere with no accomplishments to steal Clinton's spotlight is disgusting.

Sen. Clinton isn't entitled to anything and when the Clinton supporters get that in their heads the world will be a much better place. The fact is Gov. Palin would be a much better President then Sen. Clinton.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #266 on: August 30, 2008, 05:08:36 PM »

The fact is Gov. Palin would be a much better President then Sen. Clinton.

Why?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #267 on: August 30, 2008, 05:20:15 PM »

She's especially angry that Palin talked about the glass ceiling and Clinton's work to break it in her speech yesterday, as my mom believes that Clinton is entitled to be the first woman to become president, and thinks that Palin coming along from nowhere with no accomplishments to steal Clinton's spotlight is disgusting.

I'm glad your mother feels confident is telling people who is "entitled" to be the first woman President.
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: August 30, 2008, 05:44:07 PM »

Why?

Look at Gov. Palin record as Governor of Alaska. She stood up to her own party and other parties and weeded out the corruption. She worked with Canada on the new natural gas line that will help lead America to energy indepence. She has put Republican, Democrats and Independents in her office. She stood up to the big Oil Companies. That is a woman I want as Vice-Priesdent and hopefully one day President of the Untied States of America.
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #269 on: August 30, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »

I don't trust her to be Commander-in-Chief. period. Poor judgment on McCain's part.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2008, 06:05:12 PM »

Why?

Look at Gov. Palin record as Governor of Alaska. She stood up to her own party and other parties and weeded out the corruption. She worked with Canada on the new natural gas line that will help lead America to energy indepence. She has put Republican, Democrats and Independents in her office. She stood up to the big Oil Companies. That is a woman I want as Vice-Priesdent and hopefully one day President of the Untied States of America.

So if I understand you correctly, you believe this makes Sarah Palin a better choice for President of the United States than Senator Hillary Clinton?
KeyKeeper
Turner22
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2008, 06:16:24 PM »

Why?

So if I understand you correctly, you believe this makes Sarah Palin a better choice for President of the United States than Senator Hillary Clinton?

Yes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2008, 06:28:37 PM »

She's especially angry that Palin talked about the glass ceiling and Clinton's work to break it in her speech yesterday, as my mom believes that Clinton is entitled to be the first woman to become president, and thinks that Palin coming along from nowhere with no accomplishments to steal Clinton's spotlight is disgusting.

I'm glad your mother feels confident is telling people who is "entitled" to be the first woman President.
Hey, I don't agree with her. I'd just bet that most Clinton supporters agree with her.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2008, 07:07:47 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2008, 07:43:33 PM by Ogre Mage »

Hillary Clinton:

--Received 17.5-18 million votes for President in the Democratic Primary.

--Has been in national politics for 16 years and held a U.S. Senate seat for 8 years in one of the most populous states in the nation.

--Has worked on a wide variety of national issues during those 16 years -- health care, education, adoption, economic initiatives, the environment, national defense issues, disaster relief and women's rights.  Some specific examples include SCHIP, The Adoption and Safe Families Act, FMLA, getting over the counter sales for emergency contraception approved and helping secure $20 billion in disaster relief funds for N.Y. after 9/11.

--Has served on the Senate Armed Services Committee for 6 years and has been praised for her work there by several committee members, including Republicans John Warner and Lindsey Graham.

--Was endorsed by many top military brass during her Presidential campaign.
http://www.hillaryclinton.com/news/release/view/?id=6799

--Has visited over 82 countries and met and established relationships with many international leaders.

Sarah Palin:

-- Has been governor of one of the least populous states in the nation for 2 years.  So far, her signature achievement seems to be the ethics reform bill she passed in 2007.  She has almost no foreign policy experience.

Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #274 on: August 30, 2008, 07:12:42 PM »

That is a woman I want as Vice-Priesdent and hopefully one day President of the Untied States of America.

That may be the consequence should this truly ridiculous choice take office.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies