Sarah Palin favors teaching creationism in schools. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:02:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Sarah Palin favors teaching creationism in schools. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sarah Palin favors teaching creationism in schools.  (Read 25414 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 29, 2008, 06:18:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There is nothing wrong with teaching creationism in school.  You teach the Roman, Greek, Egyptian, Hindu, and all other creation stories in school, but not Christian creationism.  Kind of a double-standard, huh?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 06:22:17 PM »

There is nothing wrong with teaching creationism in school.  You teach the Roman, Greek, Egyptian, Hindu, and all other creation stories in school, but not Christian creationism.  Kind of a double-standard, huh?

She was referring to teaching it in a science class, not a literature class.

Also, we read a healthy chunk of the Old Testament for AP English.  But generally Christian creation isn't taught because the vast majority of students already understand it.  The old mythology is mostly taught for the purposes of understanding other cultures, and knowing literary references (same reason we read the Bible).  Either way, no issue with teaching about the contents of the Bible in school.  Just not in science class.

Many school districts don't teach it at all.  And as I've said before, it doesn't belong in Science class, but it does belong in school.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:06:39 PM »

Yes regarding Palin I have already said she is extremely ignorant of the subject, ...

And you are an expert?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:11:42 PM »

She does not respect other religions. My mom took me out of class when that happend. So many people will object to it. I hate her.

Ummmm ... ok.  
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:17:19 PM »

Does that mean we should start teaching Holocaust denial or 9/11 conspiracy theories in history class?

That is debate, is it not?

Sure.  Allow those debates.  They are easily proven wrong.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:20:35 PM »

Teach creationism where it belongs... in a religious studies class. Don't teach religious studies..... tough.

It can also be taught in history or english classes along with other world religions.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:23:24 PM »

Yes regarding Palin I have already said she is extremely ignorant of the subject, ...

And you are an expert?

I only learn what I am taught. And I have no reason to believe there is some huge liberal conspiracy out there to try and stop creationism from being taught in schools. In reality the debate about creationism and ID does not belong in the science classroom mainly because it cannot be tested scientifically. In fact the whole concept of god is not scientific. In my lab writing class we were taught how to identify what is a scientifically testable hypothesis. My professor asked is the question " was the universe created by a flying spaghetti monster?" a scientific question. The answer of course is no, because it cannot be tested. Now does that mean the universe was not created by a flying spaghetti monster? Of course not, but it just cannot be proved or disproved scientifically. Similarly ID pretends to show how god had a hand in the creation of the universe and the creatures in it but their argument is basically " since the universe is so complex there must be a hand of god/creator". This may or may not be true but it is not to be debated in a science classroom but rather in a religion/philosophy classroom. Whether or not god is our creator it is pretty obvious that evolution is how creatures change and adapt on our planet. Perhaps god is the one who came up with "evolution", perhaps not, but it just cannot be tested scientifically and thus that debate must occur outside the science classroom.

Which is why I have no problems with micro-evolution being taught in Science class, since it can be observed. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies