Tax exemptions for religious organizations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:59:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Tax exemptions for religious organizations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tax exemptions for religious organizations  (Read 3259 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:38:24 PM »

How does this not violate the first amendment, which forbids "establishment of religion." Notice it's not establishment of a religion, but religion more broadly. Giving these institutions tax-exemptions means that everybody else (personal income, corporations, etc.) have to pay more than they otherwise would to fund the government. Sounds like establishment of religion to me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »

The 1st amendment says that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

As I recall, the constitutional justification is that it helps all religions rather than just specific ones. If they exempted Catholics but not Lutherans, then it would definitely be unconstitutional.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »

In the context of the 18th century "Establishment of Religion" had a pretty clear meaning (ie; a State Church, typically also a major landowner and political power).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 05:11:35 AM »

I think it's constitutional, although I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it.

I think Germany has one of the most interesting system of supporting churches. 7% (yes, really) of personal income tax is donated to your church automatically.

Only way to get out of it is to leave your church (on paper, obviously you can still attend services anyway.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »

I think Germany has one of the most interesting system of supporting churches. 7% (yes, really) of personal income tax is donated to your church automatically.

Only way to get out of it is to leave your church (on paper, obviously you can still attend services anyway.)

So that's how the CDU justifies its "C"?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »

I wonder what percentage of Germans are big enough suckers to be officially affiliated with a Church. Probably not many given that last I checked, Germany had a huge surplus. Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 10:04:02 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2008, 10:05:41 PM by SE Magistrate John Dibble »

I'm fine with it within certain limits. As it pertains to houses of worship, it's alright - technically these are the same as not-for profit organizations, for the most part at least. On the other hand, things like Bibles being sales tax exempt in my state is kind of ridiculous. EDIT: Looking it up again the sales tax thing was declared unconstitutional a couple years ago, though it was on the books for a good long while.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:34:54 AM »

I'm fine with it within certain limits. As it pertains to houses of worship, it's alright - technically these are the same as not-for profit organizations, for the most part at least. On the other hand, things like Bibles being sales tax exempt in my state is kind of ridiculous. EDIT: Looking it up again the sales tax thing was declared unconstitutional a couple years ago, though it was on the books for a good long while.

I kind of agree with Dibble.  I would have a "St. Luke's Bowling Alley" being tax exempt, but not "St. Luke's Church," or "St John's Soup Kitchen."
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:06:55 PM »

I kind of agree with Dibble.  I would have a "St. Luke's Bowling Alley" being tax exempt, but not "St. Luke's Church," or "St John's Soup Kitchen."

Tuther way round, surely
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 12:26:56 PM »

Tuther way round, surely

I think he's being facetious.
gfev5150
Rookie
United States
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 03:30:44 PM »

Tax exemptions for religious organizations is an unconstitutional idea in general. But you could argue that in a way it abides by the idea of "separation of church and state" (in that the state doesn't take the church's money). But i think it should work the other way. Say if the Church was being attacked  that the government should not have to interfere.

But if the churches and synagogues, etc. were not tax exempt, people would probably be more reluctant to give the church donations. There'd be a similar outcome in the end where religion winds up with people's money.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies