An Inside View from the RNC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:55:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  An Inside View from the RNC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: An Inside View from the RNC  (Read 5325 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 11:53:31 PM »

I'm just back from the Xcel. I got there a little before 8 CDT after having a nice dinner out, Sen Graham was just starting when I reached the floor.

Videos were usually a time to chat among the delegation or walk about. The crowd was much quieter for the Palin video tonight than I expected. It was originally scheduled for yesterday, but was bumped to make way for the longer speeches then. That same respect was even more the case for McCain's video an hour later.

Cindy McCain was very well received. My sense was that the crowd really enjoyed hearing her comments. In any case we were very supportive with signs made for her speech.

The center was more packed for McCain's speech than it was for Palin yesterday. His style didn't invite the raucous applause and shouts that Palin got, but it was a more moving presentation tonight. The crowd loved the way he reacted to the brief protest, and continued to chant to drown it out almost as soon as it happened. By the end I felt a higher degree of unity behind him than I did at the beginning, so in that important measure it was a success.

The speech also set up a huge release of excitement from the confetti and balloon drop. Besides bits of red, white and blue paper and mylar there were lots of paper coins. The coins were a little bigger than a quarter and had the convention logo on one side and McCain's pic on the other. The party atmosphere was going so strong that there were quite a few No's shouted out when the convention was finally adjourned.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 11:55:22 PM »

Paul was never nominated so their votes couldn't count. Those states with Paul delegate reported a total for McCain less than the number of votes allotted.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 11:56:28 PM »

Thank you for visiting our state.  Now go away.  Smiley

Not directed at you personally, I'm just really looking forward to this convention being over, and life in the Cities returning to normal.

Not quite so fast. I do have family and friends in the area and I have at least one visit planned for tomorrow. Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 07:57:37 AM »

Thank you for visiting our state.  Now go away.  Smiley

Not directed at you personally, I'm just really looking forward to this convention being over, and life in the Cities returning to normal.

Not quite so fast. I do have family and friends in the area and I have at least one visit planned for tomorrow. Smiley

hahaha . . . enjoy your weekend and get home safely!  Thanks for all the updates.  It gave a good sense of what it would be like at a convention.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 08:15:37 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies