1976: Carter v. Baker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:54:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976: Carter v. Baker
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976: Carter v. Baker  (Read 1637 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »

Republicans:
Senator Howard Baker (Tennessee)
Governor Daniel Evans (Washington)

Democrats:
Governor Jimmy Carter (Georgia)
Senator Walter Mondale (Minnesota)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 12:33:46 PM »

Baker victory, 295-243:
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 12:52:14 PM »

explain your reasoning. I do not think that any republican could have won in 1976. Jerry Ford came very close, but I do not think that any republican could win in 1976.

Howard Baker, as you may or may not know, was a key figure in the Watergate Committee, and gained a lot of favorable press for his work; he was a moderate Southern Republican, who was very popular, and would not have had Ford's handicap of giving a pardon to Nixon.  Therefore, he takes several Southern states, in addition to the closest states to go to Carter, and wins the election.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 01:38:17 PM »

explain your reasoning. I do not think that any republican could have won in 1976. Jerry Ford came very close, but I do not think that any republican could win in 1976.

Howard Baker, as you may or may not know, was a key figure in the Watergate Committee, and gained a lot of favorable press for his work; he was a moderate Southern Republican, who was very popular, and would not have had Ford's handicap of giving a pardon to Nixon.  Therefore, he takes several Southern states, in addition to the closest states to go to Carter, and wins the election.
but, he is more conservative than Ford and Nixon. was the country really ready for that kind of conservative at that time? I doubt that Reagan would have defeated Carter in 1976 because Reagan was so conservative. as we had both heard it said, it took four years of Jimmy Carter for Americans to appreciate Ronald Reagan. I think that it would be the same way with baker.

No, it wouldn't.  Conservatism wasn't the issue, and Baker wasn't even more conservative than they were.  You're ignoring Watergate, and the fact that Baker was seen as clean.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »

Baker wins. He would be assisted by his cross party appeal and connections. He was very well respected by both sides of the aisle.

It's unfortunate though because I think any President elected in 1976 was doomed to failure. Baker deserves better than that.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »

Gporter, if Ford nearly won in '76, and Baker was a better candidate than Ford, would've Baker have won?  Baker appealed across party lines, and was very popular, and seen as honest.  He would've won.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »

Then why the f**k did you waste all this time arguing with me?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 05:26:05 PM »

Gporter, if Ford nearly won in '76, and Baker was a better candidate than Ford, would've Baker have won?  Baker appealed across party lines, and was very popular, and seen as honest.  He would've won.

Howard Baker would have won the Presidency of the United States in 1976, thus defeating former Governor Jimmy Carter of Georgia for the reasons Mr. Constine has stated above. If a moderate/conservative, such as Howard Baker won the Republican Nomination in 1976, who knows, the moderates might still have control of the Republican Party. Though that is wishful thinking.

who can not deny that baker was about as conservative as Ronnie Reagan and that the country may not have been ready for that type of a conservative.

Garrison, I'll admit this right here and right now, I'm no expert when it comes to Howard Henry Baker, however I do know this about Howard Baker. He was not a Reagan type of conservative and the United States in 1976 would have embraced Baker's moderate conservatism, which was usually outweighted by his centrism.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies