Which city is more liberal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:56:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which city is more liberal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which city is more liberal?
Seattle

Albert Lea, MN

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Which city is more liberal?  (Read 2635 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2008, 03:26:15 PM »

I vote Albert Lea, for reasons that'll be explained later.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 05:25:49 PM »

Is Albert Lea liberal like Brooklyn Illinois?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »

Bush's showing:

Albert Lea: 40.9%
Seattle: 17.9%

Of course, I'm sure that's negated by something like strip clubs, or alcohol laws, or something which most people consider non-political.  One day, BRTD will realize that Minneapolis is just like a colder, smaller, more Republican, worse Seattle, and Minnesota as a whole, the same to Washington.  Tongue
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »

Bush's showing:

Of course, I'm sure that's negated by something like strip clubs, or alcohol laws, or something which most people consider non-political.  One day, BRTD will realize that Minneapolis is just like a colder, smaller, more Republican, worse Seattle, and Minnesota as a whole, the same to Washington.  Tongue

Agreed, with the addition that Minnesota is landlocked and doesn't have any mountains.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:44:30 PM »

Seattle.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 12:11:01 AM »

Seattle
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 03:23:21 AM »

Minneapolis is way cheaper too, which makes up for the cold, hell I'd take that over rain.

And more Republican? You are really splitting at hairs here. The Republican Party is completely meaningless in Minneapolis, they hold absolutely no influence whatsoever and have absolutely no chance of winning any elections no matter how minor. Hell the Green Party has had more electoral success in Minneapolis than the GOP.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 03:51:06 AM »

Minneapolis is way cheaper too, which makes up for the cold, hell I'd take that over rain.

And more Republican? You are really splitting at hairs here. The Republican Party is completely meaningless in Minneapolis, they hold absolutely no influence whatsoever and have absolutely no chance of winning any elections no matter how minor. Hell the Green Party has had more electoral success in Minneapolis than the GOP.

Yes, but you run into more Republicans -- especially since your suburbs are Republican and ours aren't.  Wink

And the GOP doesn't exist in Seattle either, haha.  In fact, their state legislative races literally come down to who's gayer (43rd), or who's more angry at The Man/Republicans/Democrats who aren't liberal enough (the other LD's).  In fact, it was a massive, nearly campaign-ending scandal that one city council candidate was a former, repentant Republican.  It was basically the opposition's entire campaign.

As for the rain thing...what can I say?  I like a good windstorm.  The drizzle and the overcast, I could leave.  But it's a lot better than four months where I barely want to leave the house.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:15:43 AM »

Seattle's winter weather is much better than cold and snow. I also love how green it is during the winter.

And of course Seattle is more liberal! In fact, the only major city that I would say is more liberal than Seattle is San Francisco.

Minneapolis is way too Republican and suburban for my tastes, personally.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 05:13:49 AM »

Dude the suburbs of your city are massive fail!! Seattle is a pretty damn liberal city. Pretty sick place to be during the summer when they get "california weather" but just too much rain in the winter. My dad could barely take it when he worked there. He liked the snow days though since they are so rare and obviously a lot of fun. Unless you have to go to work....
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 11:09:03 AM »

Dude the suburbs of your city are massive fail!!

Do you think I care about what the suburbs are like? I don't take suburbs into accout at all since I'd never ever live in them under any circumstances.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 11:29:52 AM »

This thread is funny.

The Twin Cities and Seattle do have some things in common:

Both cities have good high tech industry (Computer/software in Seattle, medical in Minneapolis)
Both cities are progressive.
Both have crappy weather for 8 months out of the year.
Both have ample access, though very different, to water for recreational opportunities.
Both cities are a relatively short drive to beautiful wilderness.

But this thread isn't about Minneapolis/St. Paul.  It's about Albert Lea and Seattle.  And I doubt very much that Albert Lea is more liberal than Seattle.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 11:35:23 AM »

This thread is funny.

Both cities have good high tech industry (Computer/software in Seattle, medical in Minneapolis)
Both have ample access, though very different, to water for recreational opportunities.

But this thread isn't about Minneapolis/St. Paul.  It's about Albert Lea and Seattle.  And I doubt very much that Albert Lea is more liberal than Seattle.

Albert Lea elects a strip club owner to their city council. Seattle gets all prudish and whiny about them.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 11:39:52 AM »

This thread is funny.

Albert Lea elects a strip club owner to their city council. Seattle gets all prudish and whiny about them.
There are probably very large cultural reasons for this that I could get into, but it doesn't make Albert Lea more liberal than Seattle.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 11:42:50 AM »

This thread is funny.

There are probably very large cultural reasons for this that I could get into, but it doesn't make Albert Lea more liberal than Seattle.

What type of cultural reasons? Albert Lea is a LOT more religious.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 11:56:50 AM »

This thread is funny.

What type of cultural reasons? Albert Lea is a LOT more religious.
Religious does not equal intolerant to strippers.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 01:04:57 PM »

Bush's showing:

You truly scare me, Alcon.  Wink
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 08:53:12 PM »

Bush's showing:

You truly scare me, Alcon.  Wink

I drove through Albert Lea to get home this summer, btw. Cheesy

Where do you get the actual city numbers, instead of the county numbers, though?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »

Where do you get the actual city numbers, instead of the county numbers, though?

You have to seduce every secretary in every state elections office in the country. Alcon has done this, twice.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 09:30:22 PM »

Or for Albert Lea and everywhere else in Minnesota, buy a membership.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »

Go to Flickr, and put in the keywords 'Fremont Solstice'.  Seattle may have the 'misfortune' of having a prude as its mayor, but it still deserves its reputation of being San Francisco's 'sister city'. 
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 07:29:01 PM »

Go to Flickr, and put in the keywords 'Fremont Solstice'.  Seattle may have the 'misfortune' of having a prude as its mayor, but it still deserves its reputation of being San Francisco's 'sister city'. 

yeah, that is a fun time... Also Evergreen does a naked run through the mud flats each year.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 07:33:18 PM »

Bush's showing:

Where did you get those numbers from?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2008, 08:21:17 PM by Snowguy716 »

Bush's showing:

Ah, but you forget that we are smarter and healthier and also happier than you, so we really don't care Wink

We have lower numbers of uninsured people, a higher life expectancy, higher per capita income, graduate a higher percentage of students from high school, and we have a lower poverty rate.

But I'm sure the green and the rain are pretty.  Until Rainier blows.

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 08:52:54 PM »

Ah, but you forget that we are smarter and healthier and also happier than you, so we really don't care Wink

We have lower numbers of uninsured people, a higher life expectancy, higher per capita income, graduate a higher percentage of students from high school, and we have a lower poverty rate.

But I'm sure the green and the rain are pretty.  Until Rainier blows.

It's all the Swedes up there, they can't help but create a social democratic welfare state where everyone is happy, OR ELSE, it's in their nature. Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies