How many can you name...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:54:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How many can you name...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: How many can you name...  (Read 4951 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2008, 10:03:51 PM »

Bisexual, right? I've noticed a lot of people have been using the two interchangeably.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2008, 11:21:27 PM »

The common knowledge depends on the definition of "The South" as states or culture. Since it's pretty clear that as a state VA is in the south I'll suggest one measure towards identifying the limits of Southern culture.

One geographic identifier associated with the South is the prevalence of the Southern Baptist Convention. I'll use the 2000 Census data and a 10% threshold of Baptists to define "southern" counties. For instance, none of NC, SC, GA, TN, AL, MS, or AR have more than 5 counties with less than 10% Baptists.

Outside of VA in the southern states this can be tested. In FL this measure would separate the Space Coast and south FL from the rest of the state. The Acadian area of LA is distinct from the rest of that state, and the Rio Grande Valley and San Antonio is distinct from the rest of TX. Those seem reasonable, so I'll apply it to VA.

In Northern VA, the following connected counties are below the threshold: Fairfax, Loudon, Prince William, Fauquier, Clark, Frederick, Shenandoah, Page, Rockingham, Greene, Albemarle, Augusta, Highland, Bath, and Rockbridge. This would correspond to suburban DC and the Shenandoah Valley. It's worth noting that the Norfolk/Hampton Roads area also has a shortage of Baptists, which may trace to the heavy military presence.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies