The Big Questions of the Week...Including: Will Palin Become The Next Eagleton?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:48:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The Big Questions of the Week...Including: Will Palin Become The Next Eagleton?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Big Questions of the Week...Including: Will Palin Become The Next Eagleton?  (Read 1880 times)
Politico
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:47:55 AM »
« edited: September 02, 2008, 02:57:28 AM by Politico »

It is now being reported that McCain's personal top choices were Lieberman and Ridge, who were vetoed by his political team due to their pro-choice stances:

"'They didn’t seriously consider her until four or five days from the time she was picked, before she was asked, maybe the Thursday or Friday before,' said a Republican close to the campaign. 'This was really kind of rushed at the end, because John didn’t get what he wanted. He wanted to do Joe or Ridge.'"

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26501863/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE TOP QUESTIONS OF THE WEEK

Why did McCain allow his political team to veto his preference and essentially pick somebody who was not his first, or even second, choice?

Who is really calling the shots in McCain's campaign (i.e., who told him to pick Palin without a thorough vetting)?

Why is McCain sending a new vetting team to Alaska? 

Is Palin really going to put a political campaign before her family's needs?

What other skeletons are in the Palin closet?

How could McCain, given all of his experience and supposedly good judgment, so royally screw up his first major decision as his party's presidential candidate?

If McCain becomes president, will he be like Bush and take risky gambles like this at the instruction of his political team without clearly thinking things through first?

Is McCain going to ask for Palin's resignation today or tomorrow so he can have somebody else formally accept the nomination for VP on Wednesday night? Or will he say, like McGovern said of Eagleton before forcing his resignation, that he backs Palin "1000%"?

Will pro-choice, Al Gore-running mate Joe Lieberman (Who is on the side of Obama and mainstream Democrats, not McCain, on every issue not involving the Middle East, his hobby horse) be tabbed to replace Palin? Or will it be pro-choice, northeastern Tom Ridge? Or will McCain allow his political team to veto his preference once again, culminating in the selection of Pawlenty, Huckabee or Romney?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:11:32 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2008, 03:30:12 AM by Lunar »

Why did McCain allow his political team to veto his preference and essentially pick somebody who was not his first, or even second, choice?

Logical Question #1:  Do you think that Biden was Obama's first, or possibly even second choice?  I think it's pretty obvious that Obama wanted Kaine.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

C'mon, McCain's inner circle made their decision.  We don't know how they made this decision.

It's possible they made the decision too quickly and trusted Palin at her word on various things but are now trying to cover all their bases for future arguments.

She would have never accepted the offer if she wasn't.  I never thought she was eligible because of the need to take care of her new child. 

I mean, she can spin in that running for vice-president will have a huge positive impact on her kids lives.  But that's spin.  The gal has political ambition.

She hasn't been around long enough to get skeletons, silly question.  I fully expect a gaffe or two showing her lack of knowledge about foreign affairs, but she is pretty clean.  McCain is doing a dump of all her negatives during the hurricane (husband's DUI, her daughter's pregnancy, etc.). 

That's the most ridiculous partisan question asked in some time.  Her impact isn't even measured yet and yet you are declaring that he screwed up his decision?

Dude.

C'mon, you need to get in touch with reality.  There are many advantages of a Palin pick.  Obviously it is the most risky pick since Ferraro, but that doesn't make it a mistake yet.  The very premise of a risky pick is that the advantages materialize later.  So far, Palin has survived the initial onslaught and all indications are that McCain's camp already knew of her child's pregnancy and her husband's DUI, so I don't get what your point is.

Dude.

Weak.

Weakest.  Ever.

No way in hell, no way in hell, if in the outside chance that Palin is replaced, would a potentially controversial pick be there to fill the slaught?   Hell nah dawg, what are you smoking?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:18:07 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2008, 03:21:12 AM by cinyc »

Why should I believe what an anonymous "Republican close to the campaign" has to say about the quality of Palin's vetting?  Who is he?  What grudge does he hold?

Especially when what the anonymous "Republican close to the campaign" contradicts what the person who actually DID the vetting says about the process:

As some of the more astute political watchers here suggested, yesterday was dump day for the negative information about Palin.  The New York Times confirms:

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 03:19:14 AM »

On a related note, hearing about Palin's pic initially did make me happy thinking about how miserable it must've made Pawlenty. I only hope he cried and threw a tantrum. Thinking about him in misery was almost as good as thinking about how awful Hillary must've felt through the whole campaign.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:27:33 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2008, 03:36:17 AM by Politico »

Logical Question #1:  Do you think that Biden was Obama's first, or possibly even second choice?  I think it's pretty obvious that Obama wanted Kaine.

There are no news reports, or anonymous quotes, indicating that Kaine, or anybody other than Biden, was Obama's first choice. There are, however, reports that McCain wanted Ridge or Lieberman, but was vetoed by his political team for whatever reason. Why did McCain allow his political team to pull his strings as if he were a puppet? I thought McCain was not like Bush in that he was his own man who called his own shots...

They obviously made the decision without properly vetting her. What does that say about their decision-making skills? This was the most important decision to be made during this campaign, and they screwed it up...

If they simply trusted the word of an ambitious politician, instead of getting to the source, then they all deserve to be fired. Reports now indicate that not a single person in Alaska was asked about Palin by his vetting team. It does appear they may have blindly believed the word of this ambitious politician during the entire process...

Yes, and her ambition is hurting the ticket and the Republicans' chances in November. Your family ought to come before your political ambitions.

At this time, we have no idea if there are any sexual imbroglios of any sort in her past, or if there are other accusations of abuse of power as mayor and governor. The Republicans better hope there will not be more revelations in the week or two before Election Day - otherwise, they will lose big. What a risk!

The Troopergate Incident indicates that she may not be pretty clean after all. Where there is smoke, there may be fire....Do Republicans really want to risk hearing the fine details of this incident in the days leading up to the Election?

Maybe there's another DUI story that was covered-up ala Bush circa 2000?

These stories are not going to go just go away with the hurricane, either...

She's seriously hurting the ticket less than a week into the campaign. Her inexperience (There are THOUSANDS of mayors of towns of 9000 people or less) takes away McCain's tactic of going after Obama on experience. The fact that there are far better qualified candidates out there is rubbing people the wrong way; it looks like McCain is simply pandering to women, hoping they will vote for him simply because his running mate is a good-looking woman. That is quite insulting to many women, as anybody who has talked to regular voting women this past weekend can attest to.

What are the many advantages of a Palin pick? She's a woman, so women are instantly more likely to vote for the ticket? Nonsense.

If there are advantages to this pick, do they clearly outweigh all of the negatives that have started to trickle out, with potentially more to come? And do any advantages make up for the simple fact that there are clearly MANY other candidates, including many women, who are far more qualified to be a heartbeat away from the presidency? Let's not forget that McCain is 72 and has had three or four bouts with cancer (it's been so many times I've lost count)...

McCain's first and second choices were reportedly Lieberman and Ridge. Why would McCain allow his political team to veto his preference once again after this debacle?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 03:29:59 AM »

All of this makes McCain look so weak and ineffective.  I'm anxiously awaiting the next poll numbers.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 03:32:47 AM »

Politico - crap, I made a lot of typos, for some reason my computer has been reduced to a crawl. I'm doing a virus scan after I finish uninstalling unused programs, but everything I type appears minutes after I press the keys, so I look hella silly, so to speak.

Let me see if I can get a response up tonight.  The premise of my idea is that I support Obama, I think Palin was an unwise pick, but I think you are taking things way too far.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 03:52:57 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2008, 04:17:31 AM by Lunar »

There are no news reports, or anonymous quotes, indicating that Kaine, or anybody other than Biden, was Obama's first choice. There are, however, reports that McCain wanted Ridge or Lieberman, but was vetoed by his political team for whatever reason. Why did McCain allow his political team to pull his strings as if he were a puppet? I thought McCain was not like Bush in that he was his own man who called his own shots...

Who were the sources?  Anonymous?  You can't jump ahead twenty feet because an anonymous source said McCain's camp did this.

And I'm just asking a straight-up normal question.  Do you think Obama really wanted a guy who called him unfit to lead during the primaries, or the governor of Virginia and one of his earliest and most steadfast supporters from early 2007?  Do you think Obama personally likes to reward people who damage him or people who stick by him through the thick and thin.   Do you think Obama really wanted someone who supported the war in Iraq?

Obviously McCain and Obama both decided to appoint people in their VP vetting committees and decided to defer to their judgment on many aspects.  If McCain or Obama seriously wanted someone different, they could easily select him or her and fire the opposing adviser.

They obviously made the decision without properly vetting her. What does that say about their decision-making skills? This was the most important decision to be made during this campaign, and they screwed it up...[/quote]

I don't deny that they might not have vetted her as intensely as most VP's, but nothing that has emerged thus far has been a surprise to them, by all indications.

If they simply trusted the word of an ambitious politician, instead of getting to the source, then they all deserve to be fired.
[/quote]

Same response.  People being vetted do not have much room for dishonesty.

Yes, and her ambition is hurting the ticket and the Republicans' chances in November. Your family ought to come before your political ambitions.[/quote]

C'mon, all politicians hurt their family by campaigning, especially the younger ones.  It's unquestionable that Obama is doing this.

It's all a difference of degree, but you should attack all of them if you are doing this and not single out Palin.

At this time, we have no idea if there are any sexual imbroglios of any sort in her past, or if there are other accusations of abuse of power as mayor and governor. The Republicans better hope there will not be more revelations in the week or two before Election Day - otherwise, they will lose big. What a risk![/quote]

You don't have any idea about anyone, but I'm pretty sure McCain's lawyers looked into this and did they best they could here.  Just because they didn't do EVERYTHING doesn't mean they did nothing, you miss this idea completely.  I mean, I can't say for sure that Palin doesn't have a sextape out there or anything, but I'm pretty positive she doesn't have anything sexy for muckrackers.

Just because you declare that we aren't sure about her past doesn't mean you have something to grab onto.  She seems like an upright, moral, religious individual and I really doubt you can dig up anything sexual on the gal.  Dawg, you are sooooo jumping to guilty until proven innocent it's ridiculous.

The Troopergate indicates that she may not be pretty clean after all.[/quote]

I am not a Republican partisan, so I'm trying to mention both sides of every argument.  Troopergate doesn't have much traction, but the report is due the last week in October.

Maybe there's another DUI story that was covered-up ala Bush circa 2000?

[/quote]

What are you talking about?  Are you saying they released only half of the DUI stories?

She's seriously hurting the ticket less than a week into the campaign. Her inexperience (There are THOUSANDS of mayors of towns of 9000 people or less) takes away McCain's tactic of going after Obama on experience. The fact that there are far better qualified candidates out there is rubbing people the wrong way; it looks like McCain is simply pandering to women, hoping they will vote for him simply because his running mate is a good-looking woman. That is quite insulting to many women, as anybody who has talked to regular voting women this past weekend can attest to.[/quote]

No evidence to support your claims that she is SERIOUSLY hurting the ticket.

I agree that she may damage the ticket in the future, but no way has she done anything yet.

What are the many advantages of a Palin pick? She's a woman, so women are instantly more likely to vote for the ticket? Nonsense.

If there are advantages to this pick, do they seriously outweigh all of the negatives that have started to trickle out, with potentially more to come? And do any advantages make up for the simple fact that there are clearly MANY other candidates, including many women, who are far more qualified to be a heart beat away from the presidency? Let's not forget that McCain is 72 and has had three or four bouts with cancer (it's been so many times I've lost count)...[/quote]

You have a silly partisan perspective on everything sir.

She is a young, religious reformer from outside washington.  It's simply silly to declare whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages this early on.  You do a great job at pointing out many of the disadvantages that I agree with, but you ignore her benefits.  The grassroots of gun and god lovers love Palin.

McCain's first and second choices were reportedly Lieberman and Ridge. Why would McCain allow his political team to veto his preference once again after this debacle?
[/quote]

Because it's a FAR bigger deal to replace a VP than it is to select one.  If McCain replaces his VP, which could occur, he would be forced to go with a 'safe' choice like Pawlenty or Romney to minimize further controversies.  McCain cannot replace one defunct, controversial VP with a second controversial one, c'mon dawg.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 04:15:29 AM »

This thread, including the responses from both sides, is proof that Palin has at least violated the number one rule of every running mate: Do no harm to your ticket
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 04:18:33 AM »

I thought the rule was, be a greater asset than liability.  Seems to me that every possible choice can "do harm," and I still think it's too late to gauge Palin's effectiveness.  It's not looking great so far, but it's, what, day three?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 04:20:39 AM »

This thread, including the responses from both sides, is proof that Palin has at least violated the number one rule of every running mate: Do no harm to your ticket

Well, that is one of the primary rules.  You haven't conclusively proved any such thing though.

I think McCain should have went with Pawlenty, a more 'known' quantity.  McCains campaign obviously weighed their risks versus advantages, all dependent on their own abilities to control the message control to the mainsteam media and came up with Palin. Let's please wait a week before we start writing political tombstones.  Who are you an I to say that we are smarter than a presidential vetting team when the choice hasnt even really emerged yet?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 04:35:42 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2008, 04:40:18 AM by Politico »

It's a circus of scandal after scandal, essentially turning her into the George Allen of 2008. I would be shocked if this is not damaging the ticket in any way. I would heavily bet these scandals are hurting the ticket's polling numbers, which will be reflected in polls taken today and tomorrow if she survives politically to give an acceptance speech Wednesday night.

We shall see. If the McCain vetting team in Alaska finds anything else over the next 36 hours that is even close to being on par with Troopergate, I presume that McCain will demand her resignation before Wednesday's speech so that he can get Palin to introduce Romney or Pawlenty as the running mate instead...even though McCain's first and second choice would still be Lieberman and Ridge Wink
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 04:49:30 AM »

My big question is if McCain really knew about Bristol's pregnancy.

I can't imagine McCain picking Palin as a salve to the religious right knowing about the pregnancy.

And I also can't imagine him overlooking Lieberman/Pawlenty/Ridge knowing this.

I don't believe McCain knew about the pregnancy and I think it says a lot about his campaign.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 04:50:49 AM »

Supposedly McCain knew about this, and supposedly he did not consider it an issue at the time.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 04:56:25 AM »

With the release of the pregnancy news during Gustav, I don't see any indication of this news story gaining traction.  The media seems too respectful to jump on this story while people are dying in a hurricane.

It's possible that word-of-mouth, peer-to-peer gossip could hurt Palin in various circles though.   That sort of lower grassroots damage is very difficult to pinpoint down into tangibles though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 05:35:03 AM »

CNN was all over it late last night. It should get more play today.
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 05:48:57 AM »

CNN was all over it late last night. It should get more play today.

CNN is still at it and they are asking if Palin can be both a mom AND a Veep.

The press is focusing on Palin because she is a newby and because they smell blood in the water.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 10:16:45 AM »

Sarah Palin? More like Sarah Failin'
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 10:17:44 AM »

So, Politico, when exactly is Obama going pick Gore as VP again?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 10:24:37 AM »

I'm still waiting to see the first skeleton, never mind the rest.

Has she started making dinner yet?  Them kids is hungry, and someone's gotta pick 'em up from lacrosse practice.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 01:35:21 PM »

My big question is if McCain really knew about Bristol's pregnancy.

He did.

I can't imagine McCain picking Palin as a salve to the religious right knowing about the pregnancy.

Then you don't understand the religious right.  They've rallied to Governor Palin's side and are probably more for Palin now knowing this than they were before.

And I also can't imagine him overlooking Lieberman/Pawlenty/Ridge knowing this.

Day 4 since the announcement, and you're still talking about Governor Palin, not Obama or Biden.  That wouldn't have happened with Lieberman or Pawlenty or Ridge.  PR hacks like to say that all publicity is good publicity.  While that's less true in the polticial world than Hollywood, at least more people will watch the convention now.

I don't believe McCain knew about the pregnancy and I think it says a lot about his campaign.

You have no proof of that.  Numerous articles say McCain and the campaign did.  That says something about your willingness to jump to conclusions absent evidence more than it says anything about McCain.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 02:02:03 PM »

THE TOP QUESTIONS OF THE WEEK

First, I'm not sure it was a "veto."  When looking at the list, you weigh pros and cons.  It could be, simply, **Here is Lieberman.  These are pros, these are the cons.  Here is Ridge.  These are pros, these are the cons.  Here is Palin.  These are pros, these are the cons.**

Who is really calling the shots in McCain's campaign (i.e., who told him to pick Palin without a thorough vetting)?

Why is McCain sending a new vetting team to Alaska?

I'm not sure that there was no vetting.  The pregnancy story was known and seems planted. 

The "new vetting team" are described as lawyers.  It probably deals with the trooper probe.

Is Palin really going to put a political campaign before her family's needs?

No, and maybe.

How could McCain, given all of his experience and supposedly good judgment, so royally screw up his first major decision as his party's presidential candidate?

Has he?  The jury is still out.  He may not have.

If McCain becomes president, will he be like Bush and take risky gambles like this at the instruction of his political team without clearly thinking things through first?

Both McCain and Obama gamble, politically and literally.  I've seen mistakes from both that I wouldn't expect from someone running for president.

Is McCain going to ask for Palin's resignation today or tomorrow so he can have somebody else formally accept the nomination for VP on Wednesday night? Or will he say, like McGovern said of Eagleton before forcing his resignation, that he backs Palin "1000%"?

Neither.  Things go according to plan.

Will pro-choice, Al Gore-running mate Joe Lieberman (Who is on the side of Obama and mainstream Democrats, not McCain, on every issue not involving the Middle East, his hobby horse) be tabbed to replace Palin? Or will it be pro-choice, northeastern Tom Ridge? Or will McCain allow his political team to veto his preference once again, culminating in the selection of Pawlenty, Huckabee or Romney?

No.  See above answer.

In reality, the only "problem" is that Palin has a 17 year old daughter is pregnant.

ucscgaldamez

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 02:14:18 PM »

I think McCain would survive replacing her and still win. I still give him an edge.

It is so important that the VP pick help not hurt the candidate. And this is not helping.

She should be out, immediately.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »

I don't think so. The GOP would rather her play the role of Geraldine Ferraro. The Republican Party doesn't like to second guess itself. They've made their decision and they'll stick with it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 02:41:43 PM »

And she was vetted, at least somewhat, prior to the pick.

(I know running for one office, my vetting consisted of, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime," and "Are you gay?")
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies