2nd Educational Equipment Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:44:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2nd Educational Equipment Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 2nd Educational Equipment Act  (Read 10884 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2004, 04:57:29 PM »

Yea.

I urge my fellow Senators to not be swayed by the urging of President Kennedy and Secretary Ford. Help our youth! Even the playing field.  
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2004, 04:58:30 PM »

Yea
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2004, 07:02:58 PM »

Section 1.

A. All public school buildings with serious structural damage shall either be renovated or rebuilt within 5 years of the school being declared damaged, by an independent group.

Section 2.

B. All public schools must be provided with enough computers to maintain a 10:1 ratio of student to computer. The computers must have internet access, and all staff members will be trained in how to operate them.

C. All public schools will be provided with new textbooks every ten years.

Section 3.

D. The payment shall be done in this order.
1. Raise income taxes on those making over $200,000 per year, by 1 to 3 %.
2. Cut back on funding for new district offices, limiting the amount that can be built per year.
3. Cutting back (Shorten by up to 25% or lessen amount by about one per year) on federally standardized tests or making them computerized. Not having to print the tests on paper would save millions.

Let me take a few moments to point out just a few of the plethora of problems with this bill.  First of all, what is "serious structural damage?"  Is this "independent group" (Independent group?  What is that?  Who is that?  Independent of what?) suppose to invent its own criteria for judging what qualifies as "serious structural damage?"  Second, is this group appointed by the government?  If so, is this independent group established by regional governments or the federal government?  Who exactly appoints this independent group?  How many are to serve on this independent group?  What types of people are to serve on this independent group--parents and teachers, architects and professionals, government workers??  If by "independent group" you are referring to a group that is independent of the government, should the government contract with a pre-existing private firm to serve in the capacity of an "independent group?"  What in God's name are you talking about when you say "independent group?"

My third point is in regards to Section 2 of this abominable bill.  Who is to provide these schools with these computers?  Who decides what types of computers will be bought?  What happens when those computers get out of date about a year and a half from now?  Will a whole new set of computers be purchased for every school in American?  If the federal government is who you mean to pay for all these computers, then the federal government and the tax payers who fund the federal government have a right to know just how many computers we're going to be paying for?  Are we signing ourselves up to buy millions of computers every two years or is this a one time purchase?  And even if it is a one time purchase, will we be buying cheap computers or expensive computers?  Desktops or laptops?  PCs or Macs?  If you are not willing to provide these details in your bill, Sen. Akno, will you at least establish a person who will be providing these details?

As far as textbooks are concerned, I have another batch of questions?  What if textbooks are not needed every ten years?  What if they are needed more often?  Who decides what textbooks will be bought and from what publishers?  Does this apply to textbooks of all subjects?  What if, as is the case in many classes (particularly in many advanced classes) textbooks are not used?  Would it be fair to provide extra funding to other classes and other schools while classes and schools without a need for textbooks are without that extra funding?  Are individual schools and classes allowed to spend the money for textbooks on other educational alternatives if textbooks are not necessary?

About Section 3....Are we going to raise taxes by 1% or 3%?  1.5%?  2%?  How about 2.857694869%?  Which is it?  And what if we raise taxes by the full 3% allowed for in this bill and it is still not enough to pay for all of this?  How much revenue do you expect to be able to raise by increasing tax rates on this relatively small group of Americans?  What do you mean when you suggest cutting back on "funding for new district offices?"  What are district offices and how much will funding for them be cut back by?  And what the hell are you talking about in D.3. about testing?  I think I speak for everyone when I say Section 3 is about the most vague, poorly written, and confusing portion of a bill ever to come up for a vote on the senate floor.  And what is this about not printing tests on paper?  Is that a suggestion?  Is that your personal opinion injected into this bill or will this bill make it illegal to print standardized tests on paper?

This is a bad bill.  Period.  End of Story.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2004, 07:03:42 PM »

I vote NAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2004, 07:03:56 PM »

Yea, 3-1 infavor of veto overide
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2004, 07:05:15 PM »

Sen. King, I urge you to withdraw your vote in the affirmative.  I encourage you to read the questions I brought up in a previous post and to reconsider your position on this bill.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2004, 07:14:44 PM »

Stevennick brings up some very good points.  Akno, I'd advise you to withdraw your bill and flesh it out more.  I really like the bill, but Stevennick's questions are very legitimate.  Just be more specific in your bill, and bring it up again.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2004, 11:33:53 AM »

I would strongly urge the Senate NOT to pass this act.

While I agree that education is incredibly important. This measure is NOT appreciated at this time, not only is the amount it brings in ridiculously large fullstop, but it is astronomically so at this moment in time when the Atlasian economy is incredibly fragile.

A measure such as this has a great chance of landing us in a situation like that of 1929 in the USA. What we really need at the moment is to try and coax the price of oil down and get the economy running smoothly.

I ask the Senate where their priorities lie? In preventing a complete economic collapse of the nation, or in wasteful pork barrel spending on education.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2004, 02:36:19 PM »

I must vote NAY.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2004, 03:03:40 PM »

Why, you voted YEA on the original vote.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2004, 03:14:20 PM »

Fix the funding.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2004, 03:34:04 PM »

Nay.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2004, 03:46:14 PM »

Vote change: Nay
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2004, 03:53:52 PM »

That is five votes against!

I would like to congratulate the Senate on making an excellent decision in a time of financial instability with special commendations to Senators Stevennick, Texasgurl, Nation, Statesrights and King.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2004, 04:38:22 PM »

I would also like to extend my personal congratulations to Senators Texasgurl and King for doing the responsible thing here.

My commendations also go to Senator StevenNick who has gone to the wall to preserve the solvency of the budget.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2004, 05:01:13 PM »

Don't give up on this importnat issue Akno Smiley
Niles Caulder

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2004, 05:41:47 PM »

Akno ain't the type.  He's gonna shove it up my nose but good!
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2004, 06:05:30 PM »

I'll "fix" the funding. Any ideas on how to fix the funding. I figure I could lower the tax burden, but that still might not be enough.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2004, 06:10:09 PM »

I'll "fix" the funding. Any ideas on how to fix the funding. I figure I could lower the tax burden, but that still might not be enough.

Start by finding some social science studies to determine how much spending is needed.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2004, 07:40:51 PM »

Thank you all for listening and responding in kind.  Thank you.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2005, 02:03:48 PM »

BUMP for Wasteful Government Spending Day Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to: