Inks.LWC v. Governor of the Mideast (Benconstine)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:59:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Inks.LWC v. Governor of the Mideast (Benconstine)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Inks.LWC v. Governor of the Mideast (Benconstine)  (Read 4506 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 08:13:48 PM »
« edited: September 06, 2008, 08:15:36 PM by Fmr. Chairman, Fmr. Governor, & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

I have to agree with what seems to be the majority opinion here, you can not count a ballot that was done in the wrong format.  I advise a complete revote from start to finish.

But the ballot was done in no format at all.  He simply put up a list.  The law never states that you have to explain what form of voting is to be used.  Is this an official ruling from you?

If so, what all does the Governor have to say in terms of instructions on how to vote?

EDIT: Also, if this is an official ruling, then the same would go for the Lt. Governor election, and as the Constitution states, preferential voting is to be used.  You would have to invalidate the Lt. Governor's election results as well.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 07:07:31 AM »

I have to agree with what seems to be the majority opinion here, you can not count a ballot that was done in the wrong format.  I advise a complete revote from start to finish.
In that case, I don't know if I can do this but someone with standing (cough, Inks, cough) should move to have this go to the Supreme Court as HappyWarrior has a clear conflict of interest.

And what conflict is that?  Do you think I would honestly allow something to conflict with my interpretation of the law?  Frankly I am offended.

But the ballot was done in no format at all.  He simply put up a list.  The law never states that you have to explain what form of voting is to be used.  Is this an official ruling from you?

If so, what all does the Governor have to say in terms of instructions on how to vote?

EDIT: Also, if this is an official ruling, then the same would go for the Lt. Governor election, and as the Constitution states, preferential voting is to be used.  You would have to invalidate the Lt. Governor's election results as well.

Then so be it, hold a new Lt. Governor election if need be.  However I believe(at least this is how it worked in my term) that when a Lt. Governor is Appointed rather than elected, a simple yea or nay is all that is required.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 10:06:18 AM »

In that case, I don't know if I can do this but someone with standing (cough, Inks, cough) should move to have this go to the Supreme Court as HappyWarrior has a clear conflict of interest.

And what conflict is that?  Do you think I would honestly allow something to conflict with my interpretation of the law?  Frankly I am offended.

Then so be it, hold a new Lt. Governor election if need be.  However I believe(at least this is how it worked in my term) that when a Lt. Governor is Appointed rather than elected, a simple yea or nay is all that is required.

It is, but he didn't specify how to vote.  That's the violation that you're claiming he made in the Assembly election.  I'm simply asking what law(s) you're basing that on, and whether you're giving an official ruling.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 10:12:55 AM »

It is, but he didn't specify how to vote.  That's the violation that you're claiming he made in the Assembly election.  I'm simply asking what law(s) you're basing that on, and whether you're giving an official ruling.

yes he did, it clearly says "aye or nay".
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 10:50:13 AM »

yes he did, it clearly says "aye or nay".

Yes, but he didn't do it by citing the area in the Constitution that says how to vote in that instance, and that is what is up for debate now.  Whether or not the Mideast Election law that says that you have to post relevant "statute" regarding elections includes the Constitution.  I'm arguing that statute does not include the Constitution, but rather all laws passed by the Mideast, which does not include a law that states that you must tell the voters the method of voting.

Therefore, ben should certify the election using PR-STV and award no votes to anybody because nobody used that method of voting.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »

If need be, I'll certify the first election, and appoint the 3 winners of the second election.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 03:50:47 PM »

If need be, I'll certify the first election, and appoint the 3 winners of the second election.

That's my suggestion.  It's not that I'm trying to be an asshole, but I feel that we need to do the proper thing, not just the "easy" thing.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 09:34:06 PM »

OK, so I understand Inks case about STV not being used for the Assembly, but how could it be used for the Lt. Gov race?  Would the ballot have just been:

[_] The Mikado
[_] Write-in
[_] None of the Above

Because it seems to me that it would've had the exact same effect as the Aye/Nay vote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 10:33:31 PM »

OK, so I understand Inks case about STV not being used for the Assembly, but how could it be used for the Lt. Gov race?  Would the ballot have just been:

[_] The Mikado
[_] Write-in
[_] None of the Above

Because it seems to me that it would've had the exact same effect as the Aye/Nay vote.

No, my point was not that it had to be STV, but that if the argument against the Assembly election is to be valid, that it would be because ben didn't directly quote the part of the Constitution that talks about using PR-STV, and that the Lt. Governor affirmation would be invalid because he didn't quote that part of the Constitution.

This all stems from Section 4, Clause 2 of the Mideast Election and Vote Regulations Statute (http://www.uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Mideast_Election_and_Vote_Regulations_Statute).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 04:40:47 PM »

So, ben, what are you doing?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »

I'm going to certify the original elections, declare no one elected, and then appoint the 3 winners from the re-vote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »

I'm going to certify the original elections, declare no one elected, and then appoint the 3 winners from the re-vote.

Alright.  I drop my lawsuit.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 02:00:45 PM »

As governor, do you want to open a Mideast Assembly thread?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 08:43:14 PM »

Recall the bastard
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »

Why am I not surprised? Roll Eyes
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »

Wait...you got screwed and your going to drop your suit???
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 08:49:58 PM »

The democratic process is rather important in a game based around elections and our wonderful Governer has repeatedly subverted it. Mainly due to utter incompetence rather than any malicious intent, but that's beside the point. He's a disgrace and should resign. If he don't resign, he should be forced out.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 10:00:39 PM »

Wait...you got screwed and your going to drop your suit???

I got screwed because we performed this how the law dictates (other than the original ballot).  A revote would've been illegal, and we couldn't count the original votes - even I voted incorrectly, and it's the voters responsibility to know how to vote (perhaps something we should change).

I'm not happy, but I'd much rather we abide by our laws than elect me in an unlawful election.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2008, 11:20:27 PM »

As the Attorney General, I don't believe I have any legal authority here, but because I'm a nice guy, I'll look at this and offer some free advice.

The first voting booth simply said vote for 3 but did not specify the voting method. All voters voted as if the election were using approval voting. So this election resulted in 0 valid ballots and a 4 way tie among 4 candidates.

The Mideast Constitution only addresses vacancies and does not address the event of a tie.

1. This a flaw in the Constitution that must be fixed.

2. The governor could try holding a second election (which has happened) or appoint members (which as happened) but because this was the result of a tie and not a vacancy a member of the region would have a strong case that the governor does not have the power to do either one of these since it is not stated in the Constitution.

If you want to be safe, work on a Constitutional Amendment that would that would address what to do in the event of a tie, pass it, then implement that method.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 02:53:18 AM »

As the Attorney General, I don't believe I have any legal authority here, but because I'm a nice guy, I'll look at this and offer some free advice.

The first voting booth simply said vote for 3 but did not specify the voting method. All voters voted as if the election were using approval voting. So this election resulted in 0 valid ballots and a 4 way tie among 4 candidates.

The Mideast Constitution only addresses vacancies and does not address the event of a tie.

1. This a flaw in the Constitution that must be fixed.

2. The governor could try holding a second election (which has happened) or appoint members (which as happened) but because this was the result of a tie and not a vacancy a member of the region would have a strong case that the governor does not have the power to do either one of these since it is not stated in the Constitution.

If you want to be safe, work on a Constitutional Amendment that would that would address what to do in the event of a tie, pass it, then implement that method.

Was it a tie since nobody got any votes?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies