Jim Gerlach to challenge Specter in 2010?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:44:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Jim Gerlach to challenge Specter in 2010?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jim Gerlach to challenge Specter in 2010?  (Read 1068 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2008, 01:07:44 PM »

This seems very odd. Unless there is some extreme personal dislike that I don't know about, this seems very unlikely. Gerlach is a more center-right Republican - the type that might not agree with Specter on everything but doesn't disagree with him enough to consider a challenge.

It looks like Gerlach has statewide ambition so I guess it's not that insane but the last we heard was that he wanted to run for Governor. If Toomey doesn't run, I'd back Gerlach. I like the guy and he could take down Specter. He'd also be an excellent General election candidate.

http://www.politickerpa.com/alexroarty/1603/specter-expects-primary-challenge-whom-will-it-be
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:59:44 PM »

Gerlach has an incentive to do something, since his seat is so marginal, and he could lose it at any time, and has to work his butt off to hold it. But I can't imagine how Gerlach could be electable in the General if he took out Specter in a primary.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 08:42:40 PM »

Gerlach has an incentive to do something, since his seat is so marginal, and he could lose it at any time, and has to work his butt off to hold it. But I can't imagine how Gerlach could be electable in the General if he took out Specter in a primary.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:59:28 PM »

What happens if Gerlach again only barely wins PA-06? 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 12:33:26 AM »

How he'd be electable? Gerlach appeals to the types of Republicans that might have been pissed at someone like Toomey knocking off Specter. Gerlach isn't polarizing (contrary to PA 6 results and especially not among Republicans). He wouldn't get destroyed in the SE and he's conservative enough to kick ass in the areas that he would need to win huge.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 12:38:02 AM »

How he'd be electable? Gerlach appeals to the types of Republicans that might have been pissed at someone like Toomey knocking off Specter. Gerlach isn't polarizing (contrary to PA 6 results and especially not among Republicans). He wouldn't get destroyed in the SE and he's conservative enough to kick ass in the areas that he would need to win huge.

I have a great deal of respect for Gerlach. I'd love to see him in the Senate, though I don't know how well he'd run against Specter.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 12:45:31 AM »

I have a great deal of respect for Gerlach. I'd love to see him in the Senate, though I don't know how well he'd run against Specter.

He wouldn't excite conservatives like Toomey would but he'd also bring in some more moderate Republicans that might be ready to move past the Specter days. It would be interesting but it's probably not happening anyway.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies