Do you approve of your local/city government?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:47:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you approve of your local/city government?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you approve of your local/city government?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Do you approve of your local/city government?  (Read 3736 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2008, 04:58:05 PM »

Do you approve of your local and/or city government? Either mayor, councillor, or both or whatever.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 05:00:13 PM »

It's not bad.  They are very "smart growth"-ish.  Right now the city, townships, and county are all working together to put out a joint growth plan.  Also, they're working on an events center that will host the local university's div. 1 hockey.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 05:09:16 PM »

Old mayor was trash, it was obvious she was going.  Probably is, Repubs could only convince Fmr. Dem to take the job.  He hasn't worked miracles yet and the Republicans are completely split into two camps over the issue of new large-scale housing projects in town.  The real Republicans and the faux Republicans that followed the mayor from the Democratic party.

Overall, I'd say better than before but neutral
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:29:29 PM »

Overall, we've had a pretty good string of mayors...

Democrat Win Moses, Mayor 1980-1987
He was not untainted by scandal.  But he helped Fort Wayne recover from both devastating floods and the disastrous departure of what was then known as "International Harvester".  He is now a state representative.

Republican Paul Helmke, Mayor 1987-1999
A superb mayor who initiated aggressive annexation policies, specifically targeting wealthier subdivisions.  He expanded the tax base and saw to it that the wealthier citizens of Allen County paid the same tax rate poor and middle class city residents paid.  He was a big proponent of Community Oriented Policing. Also served a stint as President of the U.S. Conference of Mayors.  He now heads the Brady Campaign.

Democrat Graham Richard, Mayor 1999-2008
Continued on the Helmke annexation track.  Helped the most economically depressed areas of the city begin to recover by offering incentives to retail and non-retail business to locate there. Richard did not give an annual "State of the City" address.  Instead, he would give a series of addresses in January and February to different constituencies, addressing different areas where progress had been made and where hurdles still remained.  This was frustrating for media, who preferred the easy "one speech covers it all" assignment.  But citizens seemed to like it.

Democrat Tom Henry, Present Mayor
Longtime City Councilman known for his responsiveness to constituents.  As Mayor, has been
working to bring new housing to central city neighborhoods.  Where this has happened, crime has declined significantly.  He is spearheading a project aimed at downtown development as well...this includes a luxury hotel, upscale condos, a baseball stadium, walking and bike trails and connections to theaters and museums.  The idea is great, in theory, but concerns have arisen about condo occupancy and the move of our single A ballclub from the north side to downtown.  The team's current stadium is only 15 years old and in excellent condition.  But it is to be demolished in the spring of next year. Seems like a waste.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »

Nope.  The town council is 100% Republican and 100% horrible.

this, plus the mayor
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 06:56:25 PM »

I strongly disapprove of the Mayor of Ottawa, who's incompetent and corrupt. His entire term has been a failure. Like your typical Harper Conservative (YEAGH CULTURZ SUCKZ. GO COWBOYS!), he talked about cutting funding for libraries.

I don't know much of my councillor. He sent us a "monthly" information bulletin a year ago, but nothing since. Probably some old lazy guy.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 07:28:43 PM »

I've ranted about my city council before on here, I'll try to find it again...
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »

No. The council is full of a bunch of tax and spend morons. There is a reason I normally support (insurgent) Republicans in local elections.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:02:51 PM »

Approve of the city council, strongly disapprove of the mayor. All are Democrats, but the locally powerful reform Democrats control the City Council with a veto-proof (4-1) majority over the machine Democrats. The mayor is a machine Democrat.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:06:12 PM »

I've had the same mayor all my life. In fact, he's been in office for like 10 terms now. He's a Democrat but I support him and he's done wonderful things for Charleston.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 10:27:01 PM »

I approve my mayor and the town council. I would only like that were some debate to the town council. My city has 35.000 inhabitants but all the decisions are taken with unanimity. I haven't heard of my councillor since her election in 2006. But she is not boring old man, she is 30-ish woman. She is hidden behind the 22 year old councillor.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 11:09:17 PM »

I am neutral. They are not completely ing things up, but this city is a long way from its best. And all they seem to do is boost moral by putting up billboards and signs saying "we're proud of ourselves" even though everyone knows things need to change. Lots of jobs lost, properties abandoned and others prices falling, blah blah. We're actually located very strategically as a transportation hub to so much, it's a pity we can't attract more manufacturing stuff here. I suppose China's a cheaper alternative. Eh. This is the story of the rust belt.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »

For my Georgia residence:

Winder city government is awesome. The budget's good, there's a solid growth plan in place, and the mayor is my old AP US History teacher's husband.

Barrow County government, on the other hand, isn't really all that grand. Huge deficit and a good bit of corruption. However, three incumbent county commissioners (including the chairman) have already been primaried out, so that's hopefully a sign that an improvement is on the horizon.

For my Louisiana residence:

lol ray nagin. that's all i have to say.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 12:03:25 AM »

Yes. Competant, solidly Democratic and pro-strip club.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 12:04:08 AM »

No. They are all hippies who think they have a major impact on the world.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 12:43:21 AM »

Eh, it's mixed.

I love the job my district Councilman does. I think you all know I have great admiration for Mayor Nutter but I've been hearing some things that aren't that great from insiders. I'll say that I mildly approve. Our DA is great but she's headed out and we're likely getting a very weak, totally partisan replacement.

Other than that, I can't stand my city government. The Council is a joke. I actually got word tonight that one of the Democratic Council members if pushing for a Charter change that would eliminate our mandated "two seat minimum" for the Republicans. It's a hack move but word is that it's also personally motivated. The Council Dems are divided bunch and the GOP members (all three of them) have some serious power. They decide which Democratic faction wins. The Council member who is pushing for this is apparently on the losing Dem side most (if not, all) of the time. I hear that this needs twelve votes to get out of Council (which it probably won't get). If he does get the votes, though, it will go to a public vote and it will pass easily. Disgusting. Then there is the possibility of the state stepping in but that's a whole different mess. I just hope it doesn't get the twelve votes in Council.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 12:48:39 AM »

Weak approve. They should probably spend more time on dealing with issues like crime, and maybe reduce the pay for some overpaid employees.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 01:19:03 AM »

Strongly disapprove. Corrupt machine kept running by a racist bureaucracy. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 01:55:42 AM »

No - the mayor's corrupt and leads 3/7 council members along in corruption.  Only 3 council members stand up to him.

The council gave in to a group who was violating ordinances because they wanted to avoid a possibile lawsuit.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »

Dislike my councilman, meh on mayor. Negative on balance.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 05:08:12 AM »

Yes. I work for the city government after all. Tongue
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 06:52:46 AM »

I approve my mayor and the town council. I would only like that were some debate to the town council. My city has 35.000 inhabitants but all the decisions are taken with unanimity. I haven't heard of my councillor since her election in 2006. But she is not boring old man, she is 30-ish woman. She is hidden behind the 22 year old councillor.

Where do you live? Suburban Montreal?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 09:37:26 AM »

Yes I do.

We have a Republican mayor, and a Democrat council. We've been doing pretty good here in Norwalk.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »

Tacoma has a notorious problem with institutional corruption.  The council isn't so awful.  The school board is, mostly.
I forgot about the school board, they suck nuts as they personally screwed me
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 03:41:57 PM »

Love them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length