do SUV's piss you off
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:00:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  do SUV's piss you off
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: well?
yes

no

no opinion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: do SUV's piss you off  (Read 7448 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2008, 01:08:28 AM »

I have this BRTD-esque hatred of SUV's. I think of them as bulky tardmobiles and the people who drive them all too fitting of their stereotypes. Am I alone?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:10:13 AM »

Yes. If you don't have a reason to drive them which involves why they are made, then don't drive one.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 01:53:58 AM »

Well some people like to sit at a high elevation while driving but still not want to drive a pickup(my mom). Just one of the reasons people get SUV's and they certainly should not be judged for that. It also helps tremendously when you are moving huge objects which would not fit in sedans. It is less pussified than a minivan but not as hickish as a pickup.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 02:04:14 AM »

No.  I'd probably never buy one, but they don't piss me off.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 04:38:21 AM »

Actually, no, not really. Why should I? They're really nice vehicles, I got to drive a Jeep Commander once, was lots of fun.

Doesn't mean I think they're good for the economy/environment.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:33:15 AM »

I can see the point of a 4 by 4 if you're a farmer or live half way up a mountain or something. Otherwise... ahem. No comment, frankly.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:50:38 AM »

I love them...on country roads, or for UN food missions, or in helping my country invade other, smaller countries.

But Toorak tractors? No.

I actually always raise my midfdle finger at hummers, every single time I see them, but rarely if ever do it otherwise. They're my personal least favourite, just because everyone who would ever buy a hummer is a turd.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:52:00 AM »

Well some people like to sit at a high elevation while driving but still not want to drive a pickup(my mom). Just one of the reasons people get SUV's and they certainly should not be judged for that. It also helps tremendously when you are moving huge objects which would not fit in sedans. It is less pussified than a minivan but not as hickish as a pickup.

Oh have a whinge. Your mum's elevation is my irritation, when i'm getting out of a carpark, changing lanes, or even vaguely considering the environment.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 06:00:02 AM »

The Britisher version is Chelsea Tractor. How be Toorak (that's a posh area in Melbourne, in't it) said [question mark]
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 06:19:44 AM »

The Britisher version is Chelsea Tractor. How be Toorak (that's a posh area in Melbourne, in't it) said [question mark]

Traktracs are a common sight, and yes, Toorak is a posher area of Melbourne. It used to be the Poshest, but now it's just somewhere in the top 5 Tongue

As for pronunciation, it depends on how posh you are. Too-rak is the least poshy; then a very small number of Toor-ak people  (mainly from overseas); T'rak is in the middle for the locals, and Taaark the very poshest.

I say T'rak. The T is kind of a shortened "Ter".

Now your turn-HTF do you pronounce Cunobelin? Is it as I expect? I've heard some odd variations, from Cun-blin to Coo-no-bel-in, which makes the most sense for an Aussie, to Cue-blin.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 06:43:23 AM »

Nope, they dont piss me off at all. I had an SUV prior to having my Wrangler. Helps in the snow, and floods.

Small cars on the other hand piss me off.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 07:24:20 AM »

Not at all.  I find them to be a practical vehicle (at least the full-size models).  Those mini-SUVs like RAV-4's are a waste of money, however.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »

I don't hate SUV's.  I hate mini-vans with the mom and the 2.5 kids and the dog inside that F up traffic.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 07:59:25 AM »

Also, forgot to mention that I can't fit in small cars. I'm only 6 foot, but I have a very tall torso. I need either a pick up or a SUV to be able to fit without hitting my head on the roof.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »

The only ones I ever had a problem with are the Hummers... that's because the only people that buy Hummers basically have their ears plugged and their middle fingers up to the world.

I've seen 1 or 2 here, but I mostly see them navigating the rugged freeways of the Twin Cities.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 10:14:29 AM »

The only ones I ever had a problem with are the Hummers... that's because the only people that buy Hummers basically have their ears plugged and their middle fingers up to the world.

I've seen 1 or 2 here, but I mostly see them navigating the rugged freeways of the Twin Cities.

Yeah, I hate them as well. They take up way to much space in parking spots.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 10:28:18 AM »

I really hate how you can't see around them when you're trying to back out of a parking space. That, and how unneccessary use of oil drives the price up for everybody else. Ditto for people with big houses.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 11:58:17 AM »

The vehicles themselves?  Hell no.  Many of them are very good at what they do.  Some people need them for their homes or jobs.

The people that tend to drive them?  Yes, yes HELL yes.  If you don't need to carry goods that need to be covered or people offroad more than a couple of times a year and you own an SUV, you're an asshat.  Period.  The bigger the SUV, the bigger the asshat.  You're putting the lives of others in your hands just to show off how small your dick is.  That is not something society should approve of.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 01:22:09 PM »

Yes, but not for the usual reasons.  I of course grew up driving Grand Wagoneers, and still love them:

But the common-as-dirt SUV of the late nineties to the present irritate me, because they played a part in eliminating my favorite kind of car - the full sized, V8, rear wheel drive, full-framed sedan or wagon.  Many SUV factories in North America used to make these cars and were switched over. 

I much prefer to drive a huge soft riding car than a huge high/tippy SUV.  For example one should keep a Grand Wagoneer type vehicle for weekends in the country, or those rare days of bad winter weather, but keep a Cadillac or Buick for normal driving or for longer distances.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 01:28:26 PM »

I'm not a fan of telling people what they ought to drive but I do get annoyed with the SUV obsession at times.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »

Yes, unless you have a good reason to use one.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 03:19:45 PM »

depends on the situation...  if you're moving your kid to college or taking a family vacation to Vermont or whatever, no.  but if you're commuting to work alone every day, it does seem kind of stupid.  I wouldn't say that it pisses me off, though.

keep in mind that car companies are being forced to drop prices significantly on SUVs (and, thus, insurance rates drop) due to rising oil prices so it is actually becoming less and less stupid to purchase one by the minute (and may even become economical to do so by the end of the decade, albeit in a roundabout way).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 03:24:26 PM »

^^^^

My mom drives one, and she and I have had many discussions/arguments about it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 03:27:13 PM »

My mom drives one, and she and I have had many discussions/arguments about it.

if the SUV is in good condition, it isn't economically reasonable for her to go out of her way to sell it below what should be its market value and then buy a compact car for more than what should be market value in order to save money on gas.  the cheapest car you are going to get is the one sitting in your driveway already.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 03:52:03 PM »

I'm not big on owning something just as a status symbol in general, and unless you need the space, there is no reason to have one.  They are incredibly wasteful.  They might give drivers a bit of protection, but they are dangerous to other people on the road.  Their height is a major pain in the ass to anyone else, since you can't see around them, and if one is behind you at night you are basically blinded by their headlights.  I don't support banning them, but you have to be an idiot to own one without a better reason then "they are cool".

I own a Subaru Outback.  Its just as roomy, tows and hauls fine, is low enough to the ground that it will never tip over, breaks fine and best of all, gets only slightly worse gas mileage than, say, a four door Pontiac Grande Am.  Sure its a wagon, so you don't look as awesome, but Slim Pickens looked pretty cool riding the atomic bomb, does that mean you want to?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies