do SUV's piss you off
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:04:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  do SUV's piss you off
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: well?
yes

no

no opinion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: do SUV's piss you off  (Read 7428 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »

I have to say that although I don't have a problem with SUV's in general, Hummer's piss me off like no other. If you buy that you are basically saying I don't give a f about the environment. I think those people should be taken to a toxic dump and forcibly kept there till nature does it's thing.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 04:38:48 PM »

Mightily. Cayennes are worst. I need to restrain myself not to break their rear view mirrors whenever I walk past them.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 07:08:23 PM »

No, not usually. I actually drive an old Jeep Grand Cherokee which is pretty comfortable, roomy, and is good for the times that, in my family at least, always come up when you need to haul something rather large. I also like my car to have four wheel drive. In Pittsburgh, with our hills, driving a two wheel drive car in the snow is not fun; my Mom slid off the road three times on her old front wheel drive Infinity before getting a BMW with all wheel drive. Four wheel dive would be my primary reason for getting one, though more and more cars do have this available as an option or standard now, not just Audis and Subarus.

I can't stand Hummers though so I guess I vent my latent car rage at them.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 09:04:58 PM »

The large ones do unless you have a genuine need for one (no, not taking your kid to college twice a year or carrying a new couch every few years). Thankfully the owners are paying for their stupidity every time they fill up.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 11:21:20 PM »

Also, forgot to mention that I can't fit in small cars. I'm only 6 foot, but I have a very tall torso. I need either a pick up or a SUV to be able to fit without hitting my head on the roof.

I'm 6 foot 3 and have plenty of room to spare in my Ford Focus.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 11:59:38 PM »

It depends.

Has anyone seen the Hummer limo?  Combining the arrogance of a limousine with the sheer assholery of a Hummer.  Bar none the most obscene vehicle on America's roadways.

The long line of black SUVs in those damn motorcades annoy me, especially when they hold back pedestrian traffic.  Dick Cheney's motorcade is the worst, although I'm not as good at identifying it at sight as some of my friends are.  (I have actually had multiple people say to me, unbidden, "I was almost run over by Dick Cheney.")
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 12:11:16 AM »

Yes. talk about dumb creations.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 06:21:53 PM »

No, my Mom has a Dodge Durango.  We use the space (2 parents, 3 sons), plus anytime we go on a trip, go skiing (about 2 to 3 times a month in the winter), or have anyone extra with us, the space is essential.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 06:29:34 PM »

No, they don't.

But there are several reasons to have an SUV in Alaska. When there's a big snowstorm, they can drive through the snow that a car would get stuck in. Not to mention they're much better than cars at going up a mountain, even when towing stuff.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 10:55:45 PM »

No, they don't.

But there are several reasons to have an SUV in Alaska. When there's a big snowstorm, they can drive through the snow that a car would get stuck in. Not to mention they're much better than cars at going up a mountain, even when towing stuff.

Well, Joe Sweatpants in suburbia uses his to look like a giant dickhead Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »

Yep. They make pulling out very dangerous.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 06:57:58 AM »

No they don't piss me off. They are necessary in New England because of the tough winters. I don't want to be stuck on an unplowed road with ice and be dependent on a wimpy-engined hybrid or something too small to handle the conditions.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 07:44:53 AM »

No they don't piss me off. They are necessary in New England because of the tough winters. I don't want to be stuck on an unplowed road with ice and be dependent on a wimpy-engined hybrid or something too small to handle the conditions.
Weight is a HUGE factor in how much you slide in the snow.  4wd won't help you at all when you've got 3 tons of SUV sliding towards the ditch.  It's not people in Civic's and Corrola's in the ditch when it snows, it's overconfident asshats in Explorer's and Suburban's.  I've driven lots of different vehicles in the snow.  From 4wd Suburban's to light weight RWD cars and nearly everything inbetween and easily the best one was my old Subaru Justy.  Skinny tires, 4wd (NOT AWD, there is a difference) and light weight and under powered.  I could toss that thing around like a rally car and it would just chug off in what ever direction I had it pointed in.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 08:00:32 AM »

Weight is a HUGE factor in how much you slide in the snow.  4wd won't help you at all when you've got 3 tons of SUV sliding towards the ditch.  It's not people in Civic's and Corrola's in the ditch when it snows, it's overconfident asshats in Explorer's and Suburban's.  I've driven lots of different vehicles in the snow.  From 4wd Suburban's to light weight RWD cars and nearly everything inbetween and easily the best one was my old Subaru Justy.  Skinny tires, 4wd (NOT AWD, there is a difference) and light weight and under powered.  I could toss that thing around like a rally car and it would just chug off in what ever direction I had it pointed in.

Haha, you really love those little tinny deathtrap cars.  The best car I ever had for winter driving, other than a four wheel drive, was a 1973 Cadillac - it weighed over 5,000 pounds with around an 8 liter V8.. I threw a huge concrete pad for an air conditioning unit in the enormous trunk, put on snow tires,and it was unstoppable (as well as wondrefully fun).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 09:22:36 AM »

Haha, you really love those little tinny deathtrap cars.  The best car I ever had for winter driving, other than a four wheel drive, was a 1973 Cadillac - it weighed over 5,000 pounds with around an 8 liter V8.. I threw a huge concrete pad for an air conditioning unit in the enormous trunk, put on snow tires,and it was unstoppable (as well as wondrefully fun).

A pimp-mobile?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 11:09:58 AM »

Sure, but that's not what I was saying.  I'm saying they breed over confidence.  All that weight and fat tires are great until the second you start to slip, then they are much more difficult to get a handle on than a small car would be.  And any car with a modern AWD system will preform light years a head of the 4wd systems on any truck based SUV in the slick stuff.  (of course if you're in the <1% that needs to drive through 3ft of unploud snow on a regular basis you don't have a choice, but we're not talking about those people)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 11:17:54 AM »

No though my dad's small suv's annoys me because of the gas pedal is damn touchy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »

... And any car with a modern AWD system will preform light years a head of the 4wd systems on any truck based SUV in the slick stuff.

Why on earth would you think that, deadman?  Added complexity and propensity for breakdown does not necessarily equal more effective function.

The Quadratrac system on all our old Jeep Cherokees and Grand Wagoneers was absolutely unstoppable, and as far as I know devoid of any electronics.

Still, weight is just as important as which wheels are driven - you need a very heavy vehicle to press down onto or through the snow sufficiently to progress.   
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2008, 08:10:50 PM »

Which is of course why all forms of racing (including Rally, which is often in the snow) add weight to give the cars more traction.  Oh wait, no they don't.  Weight is the enemy of all things automotive.  Weight will help you get going better in the snow, but you'll stop equally as bad and it's not usually the lack of going that gets you in trouble in the snow, it's the lack of stopping.  You can ignore physics if you want, but physics won't ignore you.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies