have you ever used marijuana? / do you think it should be legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:49:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  have you ever used marijuana? / do you think it should be legal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: have you ever used marijuana? / do you think it should be legal for recreational use?
yes/yes

yes/no

no/yes

no/no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: have you ever used marijuana? / do you think it should be legal?  (Read 6709 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »

I know a couple people who smoke extensively, and their brains are pretty much fried whether they're high or not—it's kinda hard to tell the difference anymore.

No, no. That's just silly. Everyone tells us that marijuana is harmless.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2008, 02:26:25 PM »

I know a couple people who smoke extensively, and their brains are pretty much fried whether they're high or not—it's kinda hard to tell the difference anymore.

The dealer that lived across my hall freshman year told me it was better for me than tobacco or alcohol! Needless to say I was the only person that he failed to get to smoke with him.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2008, 02:31:33 PM »

The dealer that lived across my hall freshman year told me it was better for me than tobacco or alcohol!

And he is right. Unless you are a schizo that is. Of course not doing weed,tobacco and alcohol is the safest way to go.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2008, 03:09:16 PM »

As with anything, it's the dose that makes the poison.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2008, 04:04:14 PM »

Obviously, there's plenty of alcoholics out there with brain damage or who act socially retarded too.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2008, 05:49:07 PM »

NO/NO

I hate illegal drugs and believe in harsh penalties for those who use them

Yea, because who needs prison cells for people who commit actual crimes?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2008, 06:09:11 PM »

No/No
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2008, 06:29:30 PM »

yes/yes

And the trite saying that those who choose their friends wisely, probably don't have any friends, isn't so ridiculous.
No.  The amount of kids that smoke pot in high school is greatly overstated.  The amount of kids that smoke that rank in the top 20% of the class is near nil

dude, of the top ten in my graduating class, seven of us were at least occasional users. Two were heavy users- #2 and #9.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2008, 06:46:42 PM »

No/Yes.

I strongly support its legalization for medical use.

Regarding recreational use, it should be discouraged but made legal. The "War on Drugs" should be seen as a public health issue rather than a criminal one.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2008, 06:53:28 PM »

I've never done it and I don't plan to. I feel fine most of the time so I don't really feel the need for any mind altering chemicals. Hell, I barely ever drink. I do see the appeal though, so I'm not against anyone who does so long as they aren't harming anyone else.

I do think it should be legal. As far as drugs go, pot is about at the same level as alcohol. I've had friends and family members who have led good lives and have maintained steady jobs. It's one of the easiest drugs to make yourself - all you need a pot full of potting soil, the sun or a sun lamp, and a plant and you're good to go - thus it's the hardest for law enforcement to fight successfully. It's a waste of police time and money to try to stop this, and if we're going to have sin taxes we might as well legalize it and tax it like we do booze and tobacco.

My one qualm with legalizing marijuana is that it really does seem to make people more lazy and prone to stupidity. I really don't want a nation of potheads. On the other hand a lot of the people who regularly get 'blazed' act pretty stupid to begin with.

As opposed to alcohol, which also might make you angry and violent as well as prone to stupidity. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2008, 08:06:56 PM »

NO/NO

Well, in fairness, this isn't a "fake" crime. It is defined as a crime so it is an "actual" crime. However, you know that I agree with you that it isn't as serious of a crime.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »

Yes/Yes
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2008, 08:24:15 PM »

NO/NO

Well, in fairness, this isn't a "fake" crime. It is defined as a crime so it is an "actual" crime. However, you know that I agree with you that it isn't as serious of a crime.

it's only a "crime" because it is.  (and it's technically not in many places, just a "civil citation" in New York and misdemeanor in many other places).  the status quo itself isn't a argument for continuing the status quo.  (as in: "I hate illegal drugs!" isn't an argument for continued classification of a drug as illicit; all it does is state the status quo)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »

NO/NO

it's only a "crime" because it is.  (and it's technically not in many places, just a "civil citation" in New York and misdemeanor in many other places).  the status quo itself isn't a argument for continuing the status quo.  (as in: "I hate illegal drugs!" isn't an argument for continued classification of a drug as illicit; all it does is state the status quo)

Ok. I wasn't making an argument for it remaining the status quo. I stated that it is a crime because it is defined as one. If anything, Andrew should have worded his statement differently saying that it shouldn't be a crime, not that it isn't an "actual" crime. I understand what Andrew is saying though.

I just want to make clear that I don't use the argument, "I oppose drug legalization because drugs are illegal." I agree with you that that doesn't give a reason as to why it ought to be illegal. I was simply saying that it is illegal and, therefore, a crime.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2008, 10:24:50 PM »

Again, preventive taxation > the threat of prison time.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2008, 10:27:37 PM »

if it's legal with preventative taxation, what stops the continuation of street sales with no tax?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2008, 10:32:12 PM »

if it's legal with preventative taxation, what stops the continuation of street sales with no tax?

Corporate America would take over the sale of this and they kick ass when it comes to stopping crime that keeps them from making money.

Mainly, they'll label their drugs as safer than off the streets and most importantly, the rich white suburbanites who buy a lot of the lighter stuff will probably be more willing to get it through legal means than off some guy on a street corner.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2008, 10:38:58 PM »

No/No
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2008, 11:16:35 PM »

NO/NO

Ok. I wasn't making an argument for it remaining the status quo. I stated that it is a crime because it is defined as one. If anything, Andrew should have worded his statement differently saying that it shouldn't be a crime, not that it isn't an "actual" crime. I understand what Andrew is saying though.

I just want to make clear that I don't use the argument, "I oppose drug legalization because drugs are illegal." I agree with you that that doesn't give a reason as to why it ought to be illegal. I was simply saying that it is illegal and, therefore, a crime.

OK but is it something worth filling up our prisons over?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2008, 11:18:19 PM »

Shorter Atlasian statistics on marijuana use and legalisation (55 votes):

% admitting to marijuana use:
Have used: 36.4%
Have not used: 63.6%

% legalisation of recreational use:
For legalising: 78.2%
Against legalising: 21.8%

This is absolutely meaningless, of course, but it does show that, at least here, pro-legalisation stances are in majority. There is a decently high rate of people admitting to usage, as well.

Personally I think it is only a matter of time before most countries at least largely decriminalise the use of marijuana for recreational use.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2008, 11:20:11 PM »

Somewhat amusingly, the country with the laxest pot laws in the world is a Muslim one. Alcohol is far more restricted than pot there.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2008, 11:24:58 PM »

OK but is it something worth filling up our prisons over?

No and I never saif that that should happen.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2008, 12:12:17 AM »

Yes/Yes
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2008, 12:38:13 AM »

Somewhat amusingly, the country with the laxest pot laws in the world is a Muslim one. Alcohol is far more restricted than pot there.

Not surprising. I'd imagine other drugs are more widely used.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2008, 12:43:42 AM »

Not surprising. I'd imagine other drugs are more widely used.

It's your ancestral country too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies