Mideast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:56:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 251989 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« on: September 13, 2008, 06:57:24 AM »

What do you fellows feel should be our first order of business?  Is there any truly pressing need in terms of Mideast governance, should we in fact elect a speaker, or should we focus in on needs of the citizens like tax laws and such?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 07:02:08 AM »

Great, looks like this farce can now get down to business.  Good thing we have an incompetent governor who appointed who a treasonist Frenchie who can't get elected to anything else instead of the Fmr. Gov. who rightfully should have this seat

I'm here to!
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 07:08:55 AM »

Great, looks like this farce can now get down to business.  Good thing we have an incompetent governor who appointed who a treasonist Frenchie who can't get elected to anything else instead of the Fmr. Gov. who rightfully should have this seat

I'm here to!
Well, adding qualified judge who supports regional rights and is not a treasonist Frenchie did not seem to fit with that last statement Smiley

He isn't a treasonist no matter what everyone else says about him.  However he is a frenchie. Smiley
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »

Rather than all this squabbling can we get back to the task at hand?

What do you fellows feel should be our first order of business?  Is there any truly pressing need in terms of Mideast governance, should we in fact elect a speaker, or should we focus in on needs of the citizens like tax laws and such?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:16:53 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2008, 12:14:41 PM by Judge HappyWarrior »

First I think we should deal with this so that it does'nt come up again and I very much like Mikado's proposal on the matter.  First I think we need to have some debate and if there are no objections vote on passage within 48 hours.

Mideast Fair Election Act

Section 1:

In situations where the Governor improperly words or incorrectly opens the voting booth for ballot referenda, constitutional amendments, and elections, the ballot will be shut down immediately by the  Judge of the Mideast Superior Court.  All results and votes cast in that voting booth are null and void.

Section 2:

If a voting booth is closed for improprieties, the Governor shall have one week from the opening of the original booth to open another booth on the measure/election/amendment.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 01:47:35 AM »

I just have 1 question: Say a Governor is unable to open a booth at midnight; does that mean the booth has to be disqualified, and new election held?  I know that this month's ballot will go up between 10-10:30, but I'll include a clear message that no votes cast before midnight will count; how will that fit in?

Precident dictates that as an acceptable middle ground.  I know I used it during my term and I believe Inks did as well if I recall correctly.  Just as long as it is clearly stated that the ballot does not officially begin until midnight, no one can be expected to hit 10 o'clock on the dot.

Reworded it a bit, but didn't change the intent.

Mideast Fair Elections Act

Section 1:

In situations where the Governor improperly words or incorrectly opens the voting booth for  referendums, votes on constitutional amendments, and general elections; the ballot will be shut down immediately by the Superior Court Judge. All results and votes cast in that voting booth will thus be considered null and void.

Section 2:

Once a voting booth is closed down, the Governor shall have one week from the opening of the original booth to open another booth.

I most certainly agree with the premises of this personally. But wouldn't it be a good idea to add a clause about a potential scenario in which the Governor is right, and the Judge is wrong?

What sort of clause do you propose?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 08:50:01 AM »

Resolution on Mideast Assembly Leadership

I: Be it resolved that the Assembly of the Mideast Region will hereafter elect a Speaker of the Assembly. 

II: The Speaker shall be elected at least once during every Assembly session, though if there is a call by two thirds of the assembly or the Speaker resigns there may be a new one elected at an earlier date. 

III:  The Speaker shall be invested with the following powers:

1)  Initiate and direct discussion on any particular bill.

2)  Call for votes on all bills in the Mideast Assembly.

3)  Direct all needed discussion in the Mideast Assembly.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »

I say we begin voting on this within twenty four hours and upon passage take nominations and elect our speaker.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 07:57:04 AM »

First I feel we need to have an official binding vote. 

Aye.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 01:04:53 PM »

It would seem that with a minimum of a 2/3 majority the measure passes. 

Now we can vote on who we want as our new speaker.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 05:37:02 PM »

Thank you everyone.  I am proud to accept the honor as first Speaker of the Mideast Assembly. 
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 09:26:55 AM »

Mideast Fair Election Act

Section 1:

In situations where the Governor improperly words or incorrectly opens the voting booth for ballot referenda, constitutional amendments, and elections, the ballot will be shut down immediately by the  Judge of the Mideast Superior Court.  All results and votes cast in that voting booth are null and void.

Section 2:

If a voting booth is closed for improprieties, the Governor shall have one week from the opening of the original booth to open another booth on the measure/election/amendment.

I am calling for vote on this bill. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Aye
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »

The Fair Election Act is hearby declared passed and will be sent to the Governor's desk for signature upon Mikado's taking office.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 07:17:02 PM »

The Fair Election Act is hearby declared passed and will be sent to the Governor's desk for signature upon Mikado's taking office.

Or I could sign it now.

True lol.  I believe we need to start having that again(at least on extremely important acts.) 
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »

Thank you ben, now does anyone have any new proposed laws?  I am working on a bill for keeping police from behaving as if they are above the law at the moment but am hoping we can get alot of debate going here.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 07:57:05 PM »

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 07:08:58 AM »

Anyway, is anyone familiar with the way legislation gets passed 'round these parts? Other than me, of course.

Why are we doing something wrong in that regard?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 09:17:36 PM »

Anyway, is anyone familiar with the way legislation gets passed 'round these parts? Other than me, of course.

Why are we doing something wrong in that regard?

It's all in the Constitution. Smiley

In other words, yes.

What are we doing wrong?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 09:30:41 PM »

I hereby submit the Honorable Fmr. Gov. Inks as my nominee for Judge.  I eagerly await his confirmation.

I support the nomination of Inks as nominee and plan to vote aye.  I believe it would be appropriate as part of the nominating process if there were a 48 hour questioning period, after which I believe we can begin a voting period which will end once all three assemblymen vote.  Of course this will call for a 2/3 vote.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 09:52:44 PM »

The Business Administration Investment Legislation in Order to Undermine Turmoil (BAILOUT) Act of 2008:

Section 1:  The regional government of the Mideast shall set aside certain funds not to exceed 3% of the Mideastern budget, to be spent at the discretion of the Governor with oversight by the Speaker of the legislature, for the purchase of "toxic" mortgages from investment bankers.  The government reserves the right to alter the terms of mortgages in a reasonable manner in order to make a profit for taxpayers more likely.

Section 2:  Executive compensation, including salaries, bonuses, and stock options, shall not exceed 120 times the compensation package of the lowest-paid employee.  Any pay past that level will be subject to 75% taxation.

Section 3:  Banks registered in the Mideast cannot carry out both banking and investment functions.  This section shall be called the "Restore Glass-Steagall Provision"

Section 4:  The Mideast shall cooperate with any bailout plan passed by the federal government, but will pursue its own recovery plans regardless of the actions of the Atlasian government.

Introduced as requested by Governor Mikado.  72 hours for discussion and revision will be allowed before a 24 hour voting period.  I am considering supporting the removal of section three unless barring the Governor giving a good reason for it's inclusion.   I feel allowing banks to invest can only strengthen the economy of the region.  Also only 36 more hours until I call for an up or down vote on Inks' nomination unless someone calls for an immediate one.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 12:00:38 PM »

I will now call for a vote on the confirmation of Inks as Mideast Judge

Aye

On the matter of the Governor's bailout proposal I have come up with the final draft and would like everyones opinion on it.  By the way I also altered section two to 50%, I felt 75% was an outrageous amount:

The Business Administration Investment Legislation in Order to Undermine Turmoil (BAILOUT) Act of 2008:

Section 1:  The regional government of the Mideast shall set aside certain funds not to exceed 3% of the Mideastern budget, to be spent at the discretion of the Governor with oversight by the Speaker of the legislature, for the purchase of "toxic" mortgages from investment bankers.  The government reserves the right to alter the terms of mortgages in a reasonable manner in order to make a profit for taxpayers more likely.

Section 2:  Executive compensation, including salaries, bonuses, and stock options, shall not exceed 120 times the compensation package of the lowest-paid employee.  Any pay past that level will be subject to 50% taxation.

Section 3:  The Mideast shall cooperate with any bailout plan passed by the federal government, but will pursue its own recovery plans regardless of the actions of the Atlasian government.

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 06:23:47 PM »

Inks.LWC is hearby declared confirmed by the Mideast Assembly.

Now on to the matter at hand.  What does everyone to think of the BAILOUT Act revisions I have proposed?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 08:05:41 AM »

Alright I am now calling for a bailout proposal vote. 

Aye
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 03:01:02 PM »

If there are no more votes within the next few hours I plan to declare this bill passed.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 06:04:19 PM »

The measure is passed by a 2-1 margin (So long as no one objects to Franzl's early voting.  If anyone does object let me know and if your objection is sound I will send it to the Lt. Governor for the tie breaking vote.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies