Foiled Terror Plots Against America Since 9/11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:03:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Foiled Terror Plots Against America Since 9/11
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Foiled Terror Plots Against America Since 9/11  (Read 7751 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:30:25 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335500,00.html

The following is a list of known terror plots thwarted by the U.S. government since Sept. 11, 2001.

• December 2001, Richard Reid: British citizen attempted to ignite shoe bomb on flight from Paris to Miami.

• May 2002, Jose Padilla: American citizen accused of seeking radioactive-laced "dirty bomb" to use in an attack against Amrica. Padilla was convicted of conspiracy in August, 2007.

• September 2002, Lackawanna Six: American citizens of Yemeni origin convicted of supporting Al Qaeda after attending jihadist camp in Pakistan. Five of six were from Lackawanna, N.Y.

• May 2003, Iyman Faris: American citizen charged with plotting to use blowtorches to collapse the Brooklyn Bridge.

• June 2003, Virginia Jihad Network: Eleven men from Alexandria, Va., trained for jihad against American soldiers, convicted of violating the Neutrality Act, conspiracy.

• August 2004, Dhiren Barot: Indian-born leader of terror cell plotted bombings on financial centers (see additional images).

• August 2004, James Elshafay and Shahawar Matin Siraj: Sought to plant bomb at New York's Penn Station during the Republican National Convention.

• August 2004, Yassin Aref and Mohammed Hossain: Plotted to assassinate a Pakistani diplomat on American soil.

• June 2005, Father and son Umer Hayat and Hamid Hayat: Son convicted of attending terrorist training camp in Pakistan; father convicted of customs violation.

• August 2005, Kevin James, Levar Haley Washington, Gregory Vernon Patterson and Hammad Riaz Samana: Los Angeles homegrown terrorists who plotted to attack National Guard, LAX, two synagogues and Israeli consulate.

• December 2005, Michael Reynolds: Plotted to blow up natural gas refinery in Wyoming, the Transcontinental Pipeline, and a refinery in New Jersey. Reynolds was sentenced to 30 years in prison.

• February 2006, Mohammad Zaki Amawi, Marwan Othman El-Hindi and Zand Wassim Mazloum: Accused of providing material support to terrorists, making bombs for use in Iraq.

• April 2006, Syed Haris Ahmed and Ehsanul Islam Sadequee: Cased and videotaped the Capitol and World Bank for a terrorist organization.

• June 2006, Narseal Batiste, Patrick Abraham, Stanley Grant Phanor, Naudimar Herrera, Burson Augustin, Lyglenson Lemorin, and Rotschild Augstine: Accused of plotting to blow up the Sears Tower.

• July 2006, Assem Hammoud: Accused of plotting to bomb New York City train tunnels.

• August 2006, Liquid Explosives Plot: Thwarted plot to explode ten airliners over the United States.

• March 2007, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed: Mastermind of Sept. 11 and author of numerous plots confessed in court in March 2007 to planning to destroy skyscrapers in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Mohammedalso plotted to assassinate Pope John Paul II and former President Bill Clinton.

• May 2007, Fort Dix Plot: Six men accused of plotting to attack Fort Dix Army base in New Jersey. The plan included attacking and killing soldiers using assault rifles and grenades.

• June 2007, JFK Plot: Four men are accused of plotting to blow up fuel arteries that run through residential neighborhoods at JFK Airport in New York.

• September 2007, German authorities disrupt a terrorist cell that was planning attacks on military installations and facilities used by Americans in Germany. The Germans arrested three suspected members of the Islamic Jihad Union, a group that has links to Al Qaeda and supports Al Qaeda's global jihadist agenda.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »

Please...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 03:02:52 PM »

How many terrorist attacks were thwarted before 9/11?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »

None.  9/11 was Bill Clinton's fault.  He hates America, unborn babies, kitty cats and apple pie.
Jacobtm

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 05:11:10 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335500,00.html

• May 2002, Jose Padilla: American citizen accused of seeking radioactive-laced "dirty bomb" to use in an attack against Amrica. Padilla was convicted of conspiracy in August, 2007.

Padilla was accused of attempting to set off a "dirty bomb", and he was convicted of that, right?

False.

He was held, illegally, for years without trial. He was never charged with anything relating to "dirty bombs", instead he was charged with what amounted to an agreement to later conspire to kill/maim people overseas, based on very scant evidence
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 05:43:11 PM »

None.  9/11 was Bill Clinton's fault.  He hates America, unborn babies, kitty cats and apple pie.
Yeah, Bill Clinton is a gaylord, fizz bitch and douche-fag. Roll Eyes
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »

• September 2007, German authorities disrupt a terrorist cell that was planning attacks on military installations and facilities used by Americans in Germany. The Germans arrested three suspected members of the Islamic Jihad Union, a group that has links to Al Qaeda and supports Al Qaeda's global jihadist agenda.
I didn't know that Germany was under US control.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »

Only when it fits a conspiracy theory.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 07:23:40 PM »

Why is this being scoffed at?  Since when is protecting the country a laughable offense?  That's really pretty sick, folks.

Sadly, it's not surprising considering who made the comments.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 09:01:44 PM »

Why is this being scoffed at?  Since when is protecting the country a laughable offense?  That's really pretty sick, folks.

I don't think anyone is scoffing at the good work done by the Bush Administration, our allies, other nations and -- above all -- the people in law enforcement.

What is scoffed at is the implication that protecting America from terrorism only became a concern once we had a conservative Republican President.  And one must wonder if, by implication, we are being asked to believe that Barack Hussein Osama will be much less interested in protecting America than his Republican counterpart.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 09:10:31 PM »

What is scoffed at is the implication that protecting America from terrorism only became a concern once we had a conservative Republican President.  And one must wonder if, by implication, we are being asked to believe that Barack Hussein Osama will be much less interested in protecting America than his Republican counterpart.

No where in this thread was any of that even implied. Save the hack remarks for another thread.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 09:11:42 PM »

No where in this thread was any of that even implied. Save the hack remarks for another thread.
Even if it wasn't, Naso is kinda notorious for Terrorism=Republican good threads....
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 09:11:44 PM »

I heard he only likes the kind with soggy crackers instead of real apples.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 09:15:43 PM »

Even if it wasn't, Naso is kinda notorious for Terrorism=Republican good threads....

Ok but that wasn't the point here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 09:16:05 PM »

I was going to pile on this too, but I guess I don't have to.  You're better than that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »

• December 2001, Richard Reid: British citizen attempted to ignite shoe bomb on flight from Paris to Miami.

Richard Reid was too stupid to know that he was allowed to take a lighter on board, and was too incompetent to light a match. Please, some of these terror plots failed only because of their own stupidity.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 09:29:22 PM »

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »

Richard Reid was too stupid to know that he was allowed to take a lighter on board, and was too incompetent to light a match. Please, some of these terror plots failed only because of their own stupidity.

That's actually quite true. The Bojinka plot was foiled in 1995 because that one dude lit his apartment on fire. Even 9/11 was poorly executed; the terrorists inadvertently informed the FAA of the attacks via radio and failed to confiscate cell phones allowing the passengers of United 93 to ascertain their plan...I dunno whether or not lists of foiled attacks such as this one exemplify terrorist's incompetence or law enforcement agencies being on top of their game.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »

The Space Needle plot of 1999-2000 comes to mind, but the WTC Bombing of 1993 was not one of the foiled ones.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 11:03:36 PM »

I heard he only likes the kind with soggy crackers instead of real apples.

He never said that.  Sure he's said that more than enough times before, but this is not that situation.  I think it's pretty inappropriate and, frankly, offensive to take this so lightly and politically.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 11:12:40 PM »

I'm so glad that folks who willing kill themselves as part of an attack are so much smarter.  Roll Eyes
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 11:57:18 AM »

Ah yes, because there's been absolutely no terrorism since 9/11, and a list of successful terrorist plots against American interests since then definitely wouldn't be at least twice as long.

And somehow congratulating the Bush administration for foiling Richard Reid is ridiculous.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 12:32:14 PM »

Why do you feel the need to make this personal?  There was nothing hackish in what I said. 

One of the things people do in message board forums is anticipate.  Perhaps I should just sit back and wait for someone to say something stupid and then respond.

No.  You know what?  I think I'll do as I please.  Assuming that's okay with you.

Now, if you really believe no one with a blue avatar was going to weigh in and start talking about what a great job The Decider has done and how terrible Bill Clinton was for "missing his chance to nail bin Laden"...then you're a lot purer of heart than I gave your credit for.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

Why do you feel the need to make this personal?  There was nothing hackish in what I said.

It was totally hackish since no one mentioned what you were talking about. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, I understand. So I can just assume that you'll say that Bush is worse than Hitler, right? I can't just sit back and wait for you to say it.

Roll Eyes

Good, mature attitude!

Except...no one has done that though so your justifications for that assumption failed.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 06:58:40 PM »

Sorry Phil.  You just don't get it.  That's how every message board forum I have been involved in works.  You try to anticipate what people are going to say.  And you know as well as I do that plenty of people here believe Clinton was to blame for 9/11 in that he allegedly failed to confront Al Quaeda. 

You're right.  No one said it.  Maybe because enough of us anticipated it and already defused their talking point.

And I don't know what constitutes maturity in your book -- but doing whatever the hell I want to do on a message board, regardless of what some name-calling kid wants me to do is actually a fairly adult thing.  The immature thing would be sitting around and worrying if what I say might upset poor Keystone Phil.  He's awfully popular and I would just hate to get on his bad side...

Forget it.  We're just not gonna see eye to eye on most things.  And while I wouldn't ever set out to offend you or anyone else here, I'm sure as hell not going to lose a minute's sleep over it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies