Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 09:12:25 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  Presidential Election Process
| | |-+  Electoral Reform
| | | |-+  One State=One Vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: One State=One Vote  (Read 15332 times)
Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 08:59:54 pm »
Ignore

Wow, I thought we settled this at the Constitutional Convention. I say population, but I must say it is unfair.

WillK
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 09:33:31 pm »
Ignore

You missed the constitutional discussion in my op then.  The union is made up of states, not people.  It is the states the choose the president.

The Constitution does not start with  "we the states";  it starts "we the people". 
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 10:54:39 pm »
Ignore

Interestingly Obama WOULD'VE won under this, he took 28 states + DC for 29/51.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -9.13

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 04:05:21 pm »
Ignore

I would support this system.

House endorsements: Loudermilk (GA-11), Blum (IA-1), Dietzel (LA-6), Poliquin (ME-2), Emmer (MN-6), Mills (MN-8), Brat (VA-7), Didier (WA-4), Mooney (WV-2)
On the "To Be Deleted" List
Ogis24
United States
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 12:09:11 am »
Ignore

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
Basically, this makes people in small states worth more than people in big states, and that's fallacious. It is ridiculous to give so much power to so little of the population. California and Alaska would be equal, even though California has 18 times more power than Alaska. People vote for the President, and they should, which brings me to the statement that the Electoral College should be abolished.

Join the WRP, the truly moderate party of Atlasia.
ottermax
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.97, S: -6.52

P P
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 12:50:38 am »
Ignore

If the president had less power like a head of a council of states rather than holding executive power I think this would work. But then the United States wouldn't be a true country but more of a collective association of countries like the EU.
Purple State
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 12:53:27 pm »
Ignore

Why should the tiny populations of Wyoming or Montana have as much of a say as New York and California? A state of about 500,000 should not get to choose the president with equal or anything close to equal power as  state of 19 million or more. In fact, the EV gives added influence to less populated states already. By setting the minimum at 3 per state, certain population ratios are already thrown off. How about more influence for population.

Marokai/Purple Main Campaign Thread

Thank you to all our supporters!

Sir Coffeebeans
coffeebeans
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 01:57:10 pm »
Ignore

NO! In fact, I am willing to go the opposite way and abolish the electoral college. With one state, one vote policy, a person in Wyoming is worth more than a person in California, and that is just not fair. The electoral college is already skewed because of the minimum of 3 electoral votes, which I believe has already been pointed out.

Economic score: -3.35
Social score: -3.3

Coffeebeans for Pacific Senate
February, 2009
Another reason to get out of bed in the morning. Coffeebeans.
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 03:37:19 pm »
Ignore

Excuse me, but it's a totally crazy and anachronistic proposal : In the 21th Century, U.S. would become the only democratic State who totally ignores people's will Huh
Founding fathers wanted to give an equal importance to each States, but also consider demographic data. To ignore that would be ridiculous.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout