One State=One Vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:14:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  One State=One Vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: One State=One Vote  (Read 28717 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »

Wow, I thought we settled this at the Constitutional Convention. I say population, but I must say it is unfair.
WillK

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 09:33:31 PM »

You missed the constitutional discussion in my op then.  The union is made up of states, not people.  It is the states the choose the president.

The Constitution does not start with  "we the states";  it starts "we the people". 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 10:54:39 PM »

Interestingly Obama WOULD'VE won under this, he took 28 states + DC for 29/51.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 04:05:21 PM »

I would support this system.
Tyrion The Unbanned
Ogis24
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 12:09:11 AM »

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
Basically, this makes people in small states worth more than people in big states, and that's fallacious. It is ridiculous to give so much power to so little of the population. California and Alaska would be equal, even though California has 18 times more power than Alaska. People vote for the President, and they should, which brings me to the statement that the Electoral College should be abolished.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 12:50:38 AM »

If the president had less power like a head of a council of states rather than holding executive power I think this would work. But then the United States wouldn't be a true country but more of a collective association of countries like the EU.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 12:53:27 PM »

Why should the tiny populations of Wyoming or Montana have as much of a say as New York and California? A state of about 500,000 should not get to choose the president with equal or anything close to equal power as  state of 19 million or more. In fact, the EV gives added influence to less populated states already. By setting the minimum at 3 per state, certain population ratios are already thrown off. How about more influence for population.
Sir Coffeebeans
coffeebeans
Rookie
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 01:57:10 PM »

NO! In fact, I am willing to go the opposite way and abolish the electoral college. With one state, one vote policy, a person in Wyoming is worth more than a person in California, and that is just not fair. The electoral college is already skewed because of the minimum of 3 electoral votes, which I believe has already been pointed out.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 03:37:19 PM »

Excuse me, but it's a totally crazy and anachronistic proposal : In the 21th Century, U.S. would become the only democratic State who totally ignores people's will Huh
Founding fathers wanted to give an equal importance to each States, but also consider demographic data. To ignore that would be ridiculous.
rockhound
Rookie

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2016, 12:00:22 AM »

If the president had less power like a head of a council of states rather than holding executive power I think this would work. But then the United States wouldn't be a true country but more of a collective association of countries like the EU.

Presidential power has far exceeded what the constitution deemed appropriate.  It is time to start giving power back to the states, as well as the congress.

Arguing in favor of a popular vote tally, is purely a big government, less states rights argument.  It is solely a position of the left.

The argument for each state getting one vote is the much stronger one based on constitutional history.   I don't think the founders envisioned a state like California getting 18 times the voting power of smaller states, particularly in choosing a chief executive with the power that it has today.

Sites like the Atlas, that list popular vote totals, but not state totals, perpetuate the myth that somehow state count is irrelevant.  It is not--it is just as important as popular vote in having any discussion of results.

Perhaps though, the compromise is to limit states to no more than 15 EV (10x the smallest state), but even that, in my mind misses the point that the country is a collection of states.   It is, after all the United STATES of America, not the United Peoples Republic of America.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2016, 09:51:10 AM »

Presidential power has far exceeded what the constitution deemed appropriate.  It is time to start giving power back to the states, as well as the congress.

Arguing in favor of a popular vote tally, is purely a big government, less states rights argument.  It is solely a position of the left.

The argument for each state getting one vote is the much stronger one based on constitutional history.   I don't think the founders envisioned a state like California getting 18 times the voting power of smaller states, particularly in choosing a chief executive with the power that it has today.

Sites like the Atlas, that list popular vote totals, but not state totals, perpetuate the myth that somehow state count is irrelevant.  It is not--it is just as important as popular vote in having any discussion of results.

Perhaps though, the compromise is to limit states to no more than 15 EV (10x the smallest state), but even that, in my mind misses the point that the country is a collection of states.   It is, after all the United STATES of America, not the United Peoples Republic of America.

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »

Clearly it should just be based upon land area. We should admit Canada as the 51st state and let them decide all of our elections for us.

As long as Alberta gets left out.

But then it would be technically possible to win the election by winning every state except Canada.

Of course we can solve that by making Greenland part of Canada.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2016, 06:28:27 PM »

I don't like the idea that states represent people.  People like to talk about New York and California as a place where there are only democrats and Idaho and Oklahoma as places where there are only republicans, but every 4 years the people who support the opposing party in those states go out to vote.  Their votes never matter because their candidate loses in a landslide, but they vote anyway.  That is serious dedication, and it would be much better if our electoral system didn't implicitly disenfranchise those voters in every election.
rockhound
Rookie

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 09:33:49 PM »

I don't like the idea that states represent people.  People like to talk about New York and California as a place where there are only democrats and Idaho and Oklahoma as places where there are only republicans, but every 4 years the people who support the opposing party in those states go out to vote.  Their votes never matter because their candidate loses in a landslide, but they vote anyway.  That is serious dedication, and it would be much better if our electoral system didn't implicitly disenfranchise those voters in every election.

That supports the one state = on vote argument.   States are really different entities, each with their own issues and problems. 
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2016, 04:41:03 PM »

That supports the one state = on vote argument.   States are really different entities, each with their own issues and problems. 
What even?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2016, 05:07:01 PM »

How? How does that support that?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2016, 07:39:38 PM »

This logic was used at lower levels of government and struck down in Reynolds vs. Sims. There were states that were allocating state senate seats as one per county. In California, Los Angeles County had one state senate seat, which was the same as the rural counties with incredibly small populations. Clearly, that gave sparsely populated areas an advantage just for being incorporated as opposed to being populated.

Under a one state-one vote rule, a partisan Congress could admit Palmyra Atoll, Baker Island and other uninhabited islands to the union, have a few people establish "residency" there and stack elections in their favor.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2016, 08:28:03 PM »

I love how many people are perfectly content with the idea of rural voters mattering more than urban voters. Why can't a single vote count for the same, regardless of where it comes from?
mencken
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2016, 10:36:41 PM »

I love how many people are perfectly content with the idea of rural voters mattering more than urban voters. Why can't a single vote count for the same, regardless of where it comes from?

Should votes on UN Resolutions be determined by worldwide popular vote?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2016, 11:06:29 PM »

UN Resolutions =/= US presidential elections.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2016, 12:23:57 AM »

Uh... no, but UN Resolutions are not elections in which millions participate.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2016, 08:47:12 AM »

No; but if we started electing the Secretary General in a huge global election then that should be decided by a worldwide popular vote
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2016, 11:08:19 AM »

It seems that the popular press, and even election discussion forums like this, when discussing changes to the electoral system start with a presumption that popular vote needs to somehow be weighed more.

I think just the opposite.  The nation is a collection of states.  The states chose to join the union, and in an act of compromise, the small states agreed to cede some power to the larger ones in the house of representatives.  But other than that, and the related electoral votes, each state is an equal partner in the Union.   When it comes time to pick the president, each state chooses its electors in the way it sees fit.  Currently, all states use a popular vote method, but there is no reason that will always be the case.

In any event, with the significant influence a few large states have (it now takes just 11 to win the presidency), I believe real consideration should be given to limiting the power of states like California.  One state=one vote (similar to the UN) would make sense for the selection of President, though I'd still keep the house of representatives based on population.

how very generous of you.

Anyway, absolutely crazy...talk about a disproportionate advantage for conservative rural states.

I don't understand this argument.  How does the current system not provide a disproportionate advantage to the large urban states?

The current system clearly provides a disproportionate advantage to states with low population because of the fixed size of the House and the extra two electoral votes every state gets. Measuring from a one state one vote baseline is insane.

And claiming that your system which you made up out of whole cloth has more constitutional weight is just nuts. The only way you could argue that is by citing the procedure to elect the President in the House if there is no Electoral College winner, but they specifically made that not the preferred procedure.
🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.17

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2017, 07:47:20 PM »

No

This idea would give the GOP an unfair advantage
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2017, 01:39:39 AM »

If this even came close to happening, I would support the immediate dissolution of the union and I would even be willing to take up arms against the US.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies