Obama says he understand what working families are going through.......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:21:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama says he understand what working families are going through.......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama says he understand what working families are going through.......  (Read 2051 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2008, 12:24:09 PM »

but he'd rather hang out with the rich and famous and obviously, generous?

Hollywood events could rake in $9M
By: Jeffrey Ressner
September 15, 2008 06:43 PM EST

LOS ANGELES — Celebrities have taken a serious drubbing from Republicans this political season. But this week they will prove again that they’re good at raising gobs of money for Democrats.

Barack Obama has planned appearances at back-to-back Beverly Hills fundraisers Tuesday evening, with the events on track to raise more than $9 million combined, possibly breaking the single-day fundraising record.

Fundraising “records” are difficult to verify, given the nature of campaign bookkeeping, in which bills are recorded by date paid, not the date expenses were incurred. Much of the money raised at Tuesday’s twin events — a dinner reception at a historic estate, followed by a concert starring headliner Barbra Streisand — will go directly to the Democratic National Committee, while other dollars will be funneled into Obama’s own campaign coffers.

The first event will cost $28,500 per person for dinner at the Greystone Estate. Upwards of 250 high rollers — including some of the biggest executives in film, television and music — will munch gourmet chow and get to hang out with the candidate, enjoying a little face time and posing for personal pictures. A few spaces are left but the event is expected to sell out by Monday afternoon, possibly bringing in more than $8 million before expenses are subtracted.

For a second, soldout event Tuesday evening, the Obama caravan will travel just 2½ miles to the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, where a reception and concert will spotlight Streisand and several other performers. In addition to those attending the earlier dinner, who also get into the concert, about 500 others are set to attend just the musical affair, at $2,500 per ticket, meaning the show should rake in an additional $1.25 million.

A number of factors are responsible for the high turnout. Los Angeles has long been one of Obama’s most profitable fundraising stops, and Tuesday’s events carry the imprimaturs of Hollywood’s biggest players, from Streisand to co-hosts Steven Spielberg and his DreamWorks partners David Geffen and Jeffrey Katzenberg.

The events could mark Obama’s last stop in Los Angeles before the Nov. 4 election. However, it is expected that his wife Michelle will return shortly and that other surrogates, including Warren Buffett, will hold fundraisers on the candidate’s behalf.

Fear is also a great motivator. With the rapid rise of rival Sen. John McCain in the national polls over the past week and the hubbub surrounding his vice presidential pick, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, a renewed sense of urgency has gripped Democrats. Those in the entertainment business seem especially aware that a new leading lady mysteriously dropped into the final act of a thriller can dramatically alter the previously predictable storyline.

“People are really scared that McCain is gaining,” said a Hollywood politico involved with Tuesday’s fundraiser. “In my 20 years here, I have never seen folks write checks like this.”

© 2008 Capitol News Company, LLC

I'm sure most working Americans will relate to this when the video of some of it is on the TV news/talk shows.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »

"Obama just has to do what needs to be done to win! He has to fight the special interest driven Republicans! Most of his campaign is run by regular old Americans just getting by!"
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:50:14 PM »

This is probably the first election in years where all four Pres/VP candidates come from humble beginnings, so they can all "understand" what working families are going through.  However, I don't think it is the job of the President to "understand."  Their job is to manage, both in good times and in bad, the condition of the union and not that of the individual.  It is the job of the local government to deal with the individual.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 12:56:58 PM »

This is probably the first election in years where all four Pres/VP candidates come from humble beginnings, so they can all "understand" what working families are going through.

McCain's beginnings weren't particularly humble. They seem to compare pretty well to Al Gore's, if you think about it... a lot of status and advantages but not much in the way of wealth or a sense of home.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 01:03:38 PM »

I don't get the point of this article. He spends an evening hanging out with people who want to throw money at his campaign, so obviously he doesn't "understand what working families are going through" in spite him interacting with average voters every other day on the campaign trail?

This is probably the first election in years where all four Pres/VP candidates come from humble beginnings, so they can all "understand" what working families are going through.

McCain's beginnings weren't particularly humble. They seem to compare pretty well to Al Gore's, if you think about it... a lot of status and advantages but not much in the way of wealth or a sense of home.

I've never made that comparison before, but that does make a lot of sense.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 01:10:50 PM »

True, but once he became an officer, he lost much of the direct influence and lived like most other junior officers back then (which believe me, it ain't much without the housing allowance).
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 01:13:05 PM »

He does understand what working families are going through, he comes from a working class background.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 01:19:41 PM »

Please.  Al Gore's father was a Congressman and Senator. Al Gore spent all his childhood living with his father in 2 homes - in Washington and Tennessee.  John McCain's father was a U.S. Naval officer.  McCain moved from base to base with his family, attending 20 different schools. and like many children born before WW II, didn't see his father much for years during the war.  Before settling in Arizona,  John McCain's most permanent residence was at the Hanoi Hilton.

There's really no comparison.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 01:26:07 PM »

Before settling in Arizona,  John McCain's most permanent residence was at the Hanoi Hilton.

Please don't quote stump speech applause lines to me. Wink
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »

McCain does the same thing, so please don't even try.

Politicians are rich; we get it.  I find nothing wrong with that.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2008, 01:54:46 PM by Bacon King »

Please.  Al Gore's father was a Congressman and Senator. Al Gore spent all his childhood living with his father in 2 homes - in Washington and Tennessee.  John McCain's father was a U.S. Naval officer.

Nice spin. lol, McCain's dad was a four star admiral. I think that has at least a comparable level of prestige as congressman and was definitely more well off than Obama's raising.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 01:45:24 PM »

This is probably the first election in years where all four Pres/VP candidates come from humble beginnings, so they can all "understand" what working families are going through.  However, I don't think it is the job of the President to "understand."  Their job is to manage, both in good times and in bad, the condition of the union and not that of the individual.  It is the job of the local government to deal with the individual.

It depends how you define "humble."  I'd say middle class, at worse.  Obama was raised by a bank vice president.  Think Milburn Drysdale.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 01:58:05 PM »

Please.  Al Gore's father was a Congressman and Senator. Al Gore spent all his childhood living with his father in 2 homes - in Washington and Tennessee.  John McCain's father was a U.S. Naval officer.

Nice spin. lol, I think a four star admiral has at least a comparable level of prestige as congressman.

Nice spin.  lol.  John McCain's father was not a four star admiral while John McCain was growing up.   If you think naval officers just graduate from the Naval Academy and automatically become admirals, I have a bridge to sell you.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 01:59:57 PM »

Neither candidate seriously has a grasp of what it's like to be a middle class American.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 02:06:09 PM »

It depends how you define "humble."  I'd say middle class, at worse.  Obama was raised by a bank vice president.  Think Milburn Drysdale.

Humble meaning "not rich."  None of the candidates came from 'money.'
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 02:08:45 PM »

Nice spin. lol, I think a four star admiral has at least a comparable level of prestige as congressman.

Nice spin.  lol.  John McCain's father was not a four star admiral while John McCain was growing up.   If you think naval officers just graduate from the Naval Academy and automatically become admirals, I have a bridge to sell you.

My bad, I was under the impression he was already an admiral at that point.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »

I don't understand how being middle class is remotely helpful to understanding the plight of working Americans, unless your family had money troubles.  As far as I know, neither candidate's did.

By income, my family's middle-class, but because of luck and good practices, we've never had financial insecurity.  That's a totally different world than what "working families" are going through.  And really it's not much different than being rich on that level, just less luxurious.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 02:20:15 PM »

By income, my family's middle-class, but because of luck and good practices, we've never had financial insecurity.  That's a totally different world than what "working families" are going through.  And really it's not much different than being rich on that level, just less luxurious.

Shhhhh . . . don't ruin the moment.  Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »

Humble meaning "not rich."  None of the candidates came from 'money.'

I've, seriously, wondered what is meant by "money."  Somebody looked at my resume once and said, "Money, too."

I said "Define 'money.'"

He said, "If you have ask for a definition, you have 'money.'"  Smiley

Seriously, I would not call any of the candidates "rich," but I wouldn't call any "poor," either.  I would define myself the same way.  At best, I might define Palin's upbringing as very upper working class, maybe.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »

John McCain does not have a humble background.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »

John McCain does not have a humble background.

Neither does Obama, by the standard you are using.  McCain's family wasn't rich.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 04:00:01 PM »

Actually, I'd say that both Clinton and Reagan grew up working class.

Carter's pushing it a bit.  I'll say possibly Dole as well.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 04:04:09 PM »

He lived in a house with a dirt yard and no running water.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 04:17:32 PM »

He had a yard!  Move his upper middle class.

Actually, his father was a small business man and his mother a registered nurse.  My father was born three days before him, at home.  He was born in a hospital.  Not rich but not poor
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 04:20:36 PM »

He had a yard!  Move his upper middle class.

Actually, his father was a small business man and his mother a registered nurse.  My father was born three days before him, at home.  He was born in a hospital.  Not rich but not poor

Ok, he lived in the freaking middle of nowhere.  There are no rural poor because they have yards?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies