First 527 ad in Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:21:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  First 527 ad in Florida
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: First 527 ad in Florida  (Read 3010 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2008, 05:59:51 PM »

Here we go, the 527's are now starting here in Florida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQobIUE1zTU

This hit piece plays to the general ignorance of the American public on wildlife issues in Alaska.

I give it a B- for hilarity and inaccuracy and overall for being a hit piece.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 06:02:56 PM »

This is a bad ad to air anywhere.  I guess it might do better in Florida because Palin appeals to Floridian demographics pretty poorly, but running attack ads exclusively against Palin will make people defend her.

btw this ad is old news, I had it in a thread weeks ago Wink
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »

I can't tell whether is ad is A material or F material...hm.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 06:05:20 PM »

This is a bad ad to air anywhere.  I guess it might do better in Florida because Palin appeals to Floridian demographics pretty poorly, but running attack ads exclusively against Palin will make people defend her.

btw this ad is old news, I had it in a thread weeks ago Wink

I know a lot of Floridians that are in love with her. What the hell are you talking about?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 06:05:55 PM »

Palin's a pretty disgusting person.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 06:07:51 PM »

Why?
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »

Is this running on tv?

This ad could easily have been compressed into 30 seconds, rather than 60, just by speeding up the narration.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »

Is this running on tv?

This ad could easily have been compressed into 30 seconds, rather than 60, just by speeding up the narration.

Yes, as I said, it played about an hour ago here on the local Fox station in its' entirety.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 06:09:12 PM »

Aerial hunting is one of the lamest things a person can possibly do.
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 06:10:01 PM »

Is this running on tv?

Yes, as I said, it played about an hour ago here on the local Fox station in its' entirety.

Or as you didn't say.

This group must have lots of cash.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 06:11:42 PM »

Here we go, the 527's are now starting here in Florida.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 06:17:18 PM »

Anybody who promotes aerial hunting is disgusting in my book. 
I mean, sure, trapping is pretty bad... but a lot of people do it as a livelihood and have a lot of respect for the animals they trap.

If you are hunting from a plane, you can afford to go f**k off.

This ad could be slightly re-tooled and aired in Minnesota and it would sit extremely well with the hunting populace... you know, the people who actually go out and hunt.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 06:20:17 PM »

It's probably the most effective means of hunting in Alaska considering the size and remoteness of the state. Approve, overall.
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 06:21:30 PM »

Oh, I thought maybe you just knew that this was an upcoming ad.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 06:48:38 PM »

It's probably the most effective means of hunting in Alaska considering the size and remoteness of the state. Approve, overall.

Before the industrial age, utilizing slavery was an effective means of farming.

easy != moral
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 06:50:05 PM »

easy != moral

That's not even apples and oranges. That's like lychee fruit and potatoes.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 06:53:28 PM »

easy != moral

That's not even apples and oranges. That's like lychee fruit and potatoes.

Your analogy of analogies is apples and oranges.

Your argument is that aerial hunting is OK but it's effective way to hunt, even though there are less cruel ways. Slavery was an effective way to farm, as it required less work for the owner of the slaves, though there were less cruel ways to farm. It's perfectly applicable. You just have the blinders on
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 06:57:37 PM »

So does that mean hunting with a gun is overly cruel? How about hunting from a blind or tree stand? How "fair" is a gun? If you shoot a gun out of a helicopter or out of a tree stand, really what's the difference? Shouldn't we do like our ancestors and throw rocks or shoot crude arrows? Is cast netting cruel? No form of hunting is really "fair", yet it is done and it serves a purpose.

And yes, slavery did have a purpose at one point in human history. Of course by modern standards it is wrong but you could have an argument in a proper historical context.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »

I mean, sure, trapping is pretty bad... but a lot of people do it as a livelihood and have a lot of respect for the animals they trap.

If you are hunting from a plane, you can afford to go f**k off.

This ad could be slightly re-tooled and aired in Minnesota Oregon and it would sit extremely well with the hunting populace... you know, the people who actually go out and hunt.

Fixed Wink

I have two immediate coworkers that went bow hunting last weekend, one of whom has promised to bring in some venison jerky in the near future, and trust me they do not support this type of "hunting".

Stalking prey from the air as a sport is simply sick thrills for those too lazy to do it the right way, and every hunter I have ever known doesn't believe in making a kill unless you bring the meat home with you whenever possible. I doubt Sarah Palin is busy at home cooking "Wolf Stew"....

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 07:00:26 PM »

Stalking prey from the air as a sport is simply sick thrills for those too lazy to do it the right way, and every hunter I have ever known doesn't believe in making a kill unless you bring the meat home with you whenever possible. I doubt Sarah Palin is busy at home cooking "Wolf Stew"....

Again, what about hunting as a measure of population control? What if your livestock and your own pets are being killed? Those are very valid reasons to hunt a predator. And again, is sitting in a blind or tree stand "lazy" and "unfair"?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 07:04:37 PM »

So does that mean hunting with a gun is overly cruel? How about hunting from a blind or tree stand? How "fair" is a gun? If you shoot a gun out of a helicopter or out of a tree stand, really what's the difference? Shouldn't we do like our ancestors and throw rocks or shoot crude arrows? Is cast netting cruel? No form of hunting is really "fair", yet it is done and it serves a purpose.

I would personally argue that hunting with a gun is wrong. Shooting to kill, however, is far less cruel than shooting from a helicopter at the animal's back and leaving it to die in agony.

And yes, slavery did have a purpose at one point in human history. Of course by modern standards it is wrong but you could have an argument in a proper historical context.

For sure slavery went away more because of economics than moral epiphany. But are you actually saying slavery didn't used to be wrong? I hope not, but it sounds like it.

I don't think an historical context matters. I think slavery was wrong then and this form of hunting is wrong now.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 07:09:04 PM »

Again, what about hunting as a measure of population control? What if your livestock and your own pets are being killed? Those are very valid reasons to hunt a predator. And again, is sitting in a blind or tree stand "lazy" and "unfair"?

No, it takes some time to see your prey and then you have a limited window of opportunity to get off the one shot you have to kill your prey almost instantly without leaving the animal in pain and wasting meat at the same time.

I don't see livestock as a large industry in Alaska, and as you are no doubt well aware, wolves generally go after only the weak or young and reduce overpopulation that can threaten delicate ecosystems.... maybe you can pull up some article that shows that Wolf overpopulation is a serious issue in Alaska, but quite frankly I don't think that is the case.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 07:23:41 PM »

No, it takes some time to see your prey and then you have a limited window of opportunity to get off the one shot you have to kill your prey almost instantly without leaving the animal in pain and wasting meat at the same time.

I don't see livestock as a large industry in Alaska, and as you are no doubt well aware, wolves generally go after only the weak or young and reduce overpopulation that can threaten delicate ecosystems.... maybe you can pull up some article that shows that Wolf overpopulation is a serious issue in Alaska, but quite frankly I don't think that is the case.

First, the meat of a predator (carnivore) is not very edible. Wolves and coyotes can be a nuisance animal and even if overpopulation is not a problem they still need to be controlled.

I would personally argue that hunting with a gun is wrong. Shooting to kill, however, is far less cruel than shooting from a helicopter at the animal's back and leaving it to die in agony.

Shooting to kill from a helicopter or a tree stand is not really that much different. You seem to be against hunting, a perfectly respectable position, just one I disagree with. It seems overall, that no matter what, you'd be opposed to any sort of hunting.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »

I'm definitely not anti-hunting, but somehow, I can't see population control being a particularly important concern in an area so remote that you need to go into the air to hunt anything.  The hides might be worth getting, and probably Chinese "medicine" has some use for the rest of the wolf, but even so, I'm very skeptical of airborne hunting.  I'd want it shown that it is truly needed before having a hunting season for it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 07:50:18 PM »

You're the disgusting one.

Your signature says a lot about you.

If you don't remove it I will have it removed for you.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies