Is this country headed toward another depression?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:27:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is this country headed toward another depression?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is this country headed toward another depression?  (Read 5317 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:42:38 PM »

I heard this being floated around at work.  With several major financial institutions biting the dust the past week, my co-workers are comparing this to what happened in late 1929 into 1930 at the onset of the Great Depression.  They are tossing around the idea that this is looking eerily similar to the events 78 years ago.  What say you?  I don't necessarily agree with the idea that we're headed to a depression.  One reason is, the American Economy of 2008, while in a recession, is much stronger than the American Economy of 1929-1930.  80 years has made our economy very strong.  Plus, with several "recessions" in those 80 years, those events have made our economy very resilient and we have been able to bounce back nicely from all the recessions we've had in the past 70-80 years.  I want to get your honest, non-partisan, opinion, though.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »

No; certainly not anything nearly as severe.  We may hit a fairly bad recession, but it won't be nearly as bad as the Depression was.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 07:45:18 PM »

No
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:45:46 PM »

No and if we did we'd better hope we don't get a president who extends it (like FDR).
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 07:46:20 PM »

No and if we did we'd better hope we don't get a president who extends it (like FDR).
Perhaps that president would end it by declaring an unnecessary war even sooner than FDR did
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »

YES WE'RE ALL DOOMED AND ITS THE RETHUGLICANTS FAULT!!!!!!!!!! LOLZ!!!!
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 08:45:24 PM »

Nope, unless we repeat the same mistakes Hoover and FDR committed.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 08:56:57 PM »

Obama raising taxes in the middle of this al la FDR is a good way to cause one. We know he's rooting for it right now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 08:59:59 PM »

It's looking like the worst since the Great Depression,but there's no evidence that it'd be as bad as the Depression. Bush did screw things up pretty bad, so you never know.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:00:40 PM »

Obama raising taxes in the middle of this al la FDR is a good way to cause one. We know he's rooting for it right now.

Most people would get a tax cut, at least if they still have jobs after the Bush economy.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »

Most people would get a tax cut, at least if they still have jobs after the Bush economy.

Okay. Let's raise taxes on the wealthy, capital gains, payroll, and social security and see how the economy responds. I bet it would turn around!
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »

Okay. Let's raise taxes on the wealthy, capital gains, payroll, and social security and see how the economy responds. I bet it would turn around!
I highly doubt Obama is going to attempt to do all of that at once. That said the immense costs of what he seems to be advocating make me extremely nervous. We have enough unfunded liabilities as it stands without him promising to use government to practically part the seas.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 10:09:23 PM »

Depression, probably not.  Severe and lengthy recession, probably.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 10:10:57 PM »

I highly doubt Obama is going to attempt to do all of that at once. That said the immense costs of what he seems to be advocating make me extremely nervous. We have enough unfunded liabilities as it stands without him promising to use government to practically part the seas.

His tax cut is much cheaper than McCain's.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 10:12:51 PM »

How will he pay for his 500 Billion in new spending?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 10:14:57 PM »

There is, of course, no formal economic definition of a "depression." The question is meaningless.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »

JFern, your signature line proves FDR's failures in improving the economy - despite the fact that there was a 9% rise in unemployment under Hoover, in all his years as President, FDR was only able to grow the economy enough to bring back half the jobs. So despite the fact he's at the top of your list, he was probably the least successful in improving the unemployment rate of all the presidents on there.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 10:28:18 PM »

Perhaps that president would end it by declaring an unnecessary war even sooner than FDR did

What would you do after Pearl Harbor? Stick your head in the sand? Invade Iraq?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 10:31:38 PM »

What would you do after Pearl Harbor?

Go to war with Germany of course, duh.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 10:33:56 PM »

What would you do after Pearl Harbor?

Go to war with Germany of course, duh.

They were allied with Japan, duh.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 10:43:15 PM »

Well, Obama is calling for billions more in spending. Last time I checked, McCain wanted to cut spending, something his record has shown for a long time. Cutting taxes and increasing spending makes little sense, and this is what Bush did that got him in so much trouble.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »

Well, Obama is calling for billions more in spending. Last time I checked, McCain wanted to cut spending, something his record has shown for a long time. Cutting taxes and increasing spending makes little sense, and this is what Bush did that got him in so much trouble.

McCain isn't going to cut spending. He will continue wasting money on this Iraq war and corporate bailouts. Palin will push for some more Bridge to Nowheres in Alaska.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 10:48:44 PM »

McCain isn't going to cut spending. He will continue wasting money on this Iraq war and corporate bailouts. Palin will push for some more Bridge to Nowheres in Alaska.

Goodness. It's kind of impossible to win with you. The war in Iraq is drawing to a close and both candidates will begin to draw down troops fairly soon. Obama wants to delay it so he can win the Presidency first. Statements like Palin pushing for a bridge to nowhere is pretty silly to say.

And what would Obama have done with the financial crisis? He wouldn't have supported the bailouts?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 10:51:51 PM »

Goodness. It's kind of impossible to win with you. The war in Iraq is drawing to a close and both candidates will begin to draw down troops fairly soon. Obama wants to delay it so he can win the Presidency first. Statements like Palin pushing for a bridge to nowhere is pretty silly to say.

And what would Obama have done with the financial crisis? He wouldn't have supported the bailouts?

You claimed McCain wanted to cut spending. Obama is irrelevant to that claim. Do you really think that McCain plans on leaving Iraq soon? He was strongly against any sort of timetable before.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 10:53:20 PM »

You claimed McCain wanted to cut spending. Obama is irrelevant to that claim. Do you really think that McCain plans on leaving Iraq soon? He was strongly against any sort of timetable before.

He was against cutting and running, but now that the Iraqi government is calling for a timetable, I would surely hope he isn't for overriding their wishes and staying in. And I don't think he is.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies