Palin is a young earth creationist who believes that we are in the end times.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:34:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Palin is a young earth creationist who believes that we are in the end times.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Palin is a young earth creationist who believes that we are in the end times.  (Read 3601 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2008, 03:48:47 PM »

I'm sure that some extreme wacko who thinks that the Earth come to an end at the age of less than 7000 years really has the long-term interests of this planet in mind.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/09/15/bess/index1.html
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 03:50:27 PM »

I'm sure that some extreme wacko who thinks that the Earth come to an end at the age of less than 7000 years really has the long-term interests of this planet in mind.

that's it... i think she might be nuts.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 03:52:08 PM »

Bleh.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 03:54:02 PM »

Oh dear.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 03:56:32 PM »

ummmm, lol

I can't think of anything clever to say
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 04:04:02 PM »

I agree with her for the most part, but there are some things I do disagree with her on this issue.  

Like Sarah, I also believe we are in the end times, and that the return of Jesus Christ, the Messiah, is imminent.  No one knows the day nor the hour that He will return for His church save for God Himself.  My job is to be ready for the day and time that he does come back.  I won't go so far as to say He will return during MY lifetime, but I am assured that He will return at some point in time.  Again, my job is just to be ready.  I believe that the human race is about 6,500 years old with approx 2000 years from Adam to Abraham, 2000 years from Abraham to Christ, and 2000 years from Christ to today, but I believe the earth itself may be billions of years old.  I believe in Creation, but I don't necessarily believe in 7 calendar days, as in 24-hour days.  For all we know, it could be 7 calendar days or it could be 7 phases, with each phase taking possibly thousands or even millions of years.  I am more inclined to believe in 7 phases, but it could just as easily be 7 24-hour periods, because God is God and I am not.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 04:07:01 PM »

Why do I feel that she's just a female Huckabee?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 04:07:27 PM »

within our lifetime? quite possible

imminent? absolutely not
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 04:08:28 PM »

Somehow, I don't think it's a good idea for someone with her views to be so close to the nuclear suitcase.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »

also, this is a he said she said thingy...why not wait to hear what palin thinks from palin herself?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »

also, this is a he said she said thingy...why not wait to hear what palin thinks from palin herself?

^^^^ this. Though honestly I wouldn't be suprised if she was a YEC.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 04:17:26 PM »

gmantis

I,ve never known any christian who believes the US pushing the button could usher in the return of christ
Firefly
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.83

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 04:43:09 PM »

I agree with her for the most part, but there are some things I do disagree with her on this issue.  

Like Sarah, I also believe we are in the end times, and that the return of Jesus Christ, the Messiah, is imminent.  No one knows the day nor the hour that He will return for His church save for God Himself.  My job is to be ready for the day and time that he does come back.  I won't go so far as to say He will return during MY lifetime, but I am assured that He will return at some point in time.  Again, my job is just to be ready.  I believe that the human race is about 6,500 years old with approx 2000 years from Adam to Abraham, 2000 years from Abraham to Christ, and 2000 years from Christ to today, but I believe the earth itself may be billions of years old.  I believe in Creation, but I don't necessarily believe in 7 calendar days, as in 24-hour days.  For all we know, it could be 7 calendar days or it could be 7 phases, with each phase taking possibly thousands or even millions of years.  I am more inclined to believe in 7 phases, but it could just as easily be 7 24-hour periods, because God is God and I am not.

rofl
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »

^
wow.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 05:08:26 PM »

I have to completely agree.

I am just as likely as any non-religious liberal to assign the "moonbat" label to those who are cheering on the apocalypse.  And I am a "religious".  It's one thing to say "I believe Jesus is coming again" and I hope it's soon.  It's quite another to say "I believe Jesus is coming again and I can't wait to see those who aren't true believers get what's coming to them".

But Jmcfst has it precisely right.  This is a conversation and what's more -- it's one reported by Salon.  I like Salon.  They are usually reliable.  But still, pretty far left of center.  We need to take this with a HUGE grain of salt. 

Sarah Palin should hold a series of press conferences and answer the questions that matter.  And tell the muckrakers who ask questions that don't matter -- to go soak their heads.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »

Young earth creationism is used as an excuse to oppose environmental protection.

George W. Bush was 'unsure' about evolution.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »

Little problem, the people tat are saying are liberal activists, self defined.

I heard the same things about Reagan in 1980.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 05:20:02 PM »

I love how the hacks on this forum constantly complain about how we ought to be discussing the most important issues of the day...and then resort to this.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »

Like jmfcst said, this is he-said-she-said.

But I would be surprised if she was not a creationist.

I would also say the people who are concerned she believes in the end times simply do not understand Christian theology.  If they udnerstoodthe theology, they would not be surprised or disturbed that a Christian might believe in the end times.

I would also say that the cultural elitism of Forum members is showing right now.  If Palin is a creationist, she is in a clear majority of Americans.

According to a CBS/New York Times Poll:
55% of Americans believe God created humans as they are
27% of Americans believe God guided the process of evolution
13% of Americans beieve evolution occurred naturally

So, only 13% of Americans believe in natural evolution, while 82% of Americans believe in some form of creationism.

Why is anyone surprised Palin is a creationist?  Most people in this country are.  Even the left's science guru Al Gore is an admitted creationist who wanted creationism taught in schools.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 05:22:59 PM »

Young earth creationism is used as an excuse to oppose environmental protection.

How about Al Gore who is a creationist?

Is he using creationism to justify not protecting the environment?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »

This is OFTEN the case.  But even some YEC folks are changing their views on environmentalism.

They used to say, "The world is gonna burn up some day at the end of time and the Lord is gonna create a new earth."  (So I use their own theology on them.)

"Okay fine.  The world is going to burn up some day.  So are you.  And the Lord will give you a new body, right?  Well...I bet you still brush your teeth. "  In other words, you take care of what the good Lord has given you. You owe it to the Lord, to yourself and to those who depend on you.  It's no less applicable to our environment.

Of course, there's an even better response.  Psalm 26:1.  "The earth is the Lord's and everything that is in it."

To me, this means it's His.  It's not mine.  And if He entrusted me with it, I'd better not muck it up too badly. Those whales and polar bears may mean nothing to me.  But they belong to my Father. They are supposed to show forth His glory.  If they are dying out, and I've not tried to stop that, then I am helping to silence or elminate another created thing that supposedly shows how wonderful the creator is.

Anyway, those are a couple of counterarguments that I have found effective with some of the more sincere, devout YEC folk
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 05:40:25 PM »

Like jmfcst said, this is he-said-she-said.

But I would be surprised if she was not a creationist.

I would also say the people who are concerned she believes in the end times simply do not understand Christian theology.  If they udnerstoodthe theology, they would not be surprised or disturbed that a Christian might believe in the end times.

I would also say that the cultural elitism of Forum members is showing right now.  If Palin is a creationist, she is in a clear majority of Americans.

According to a CBS/New York Times Poll:
55% of Americans believe God created humans as they are
27% of Americans believe God guided the process of evolution
13% of Americans beieve evolution occurred naturally

So, only 13% of Americans believe in natural evolution, while 82% of Americans believe in some form of creationism.

Why is anyone surprised Palin is a creationist?  Most people in this country are.  Even the left's science guru Al Gore is an admitted creationist who wanted creationism taught in schools.

If 82% of Americans are creationists, then why are creationists voted off of school boards whenever they try to implement the teaching of creationism?
Firefly
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.83

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 05:44:26 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2008, 05:46:26 PM by Firefly »

I believe the more shocking part of this claim (merely hearsay at the moment) about Palin's beliefs is the "young earth" part, not the "creationist" part.  Al Gore is certainly not a young-earth creationist, and neither are 82% of Americans.  
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 05:48:49 PM »

I believe the more shocking part of this claim (merely hearsay at the moment) about Palin's beliefs is the "young earth" part, not the "creationist" part.  Al Gore is certainly not a young-earth creationist, and neither are 82% of Americans.  

You didn't read the post carefully.  I didn't say 82% of Americans are young earth creationists.  I said 82% of Americans believe in some form of creationism.

And Al Gore is a young earth creationist.  He believes Adam and Eve were created 200,000 years ago in the Garden of Eden and has said so publicly and repeatedly.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »

If 82% of Americans are creationists, then why are creationists voted off of school boards whenever they try to implement the teaching of creationism?

That is a valid question, but the poll shows what it shows.  Also, this poll is national, and doesn't necessarily tell us what the numbers are in the particular school districts where the battles are being waged.

One explainaition may be that creationists don't always want their views taught in science class.  Palin, who I think is a creationist, has said creationism should not be in the school curriculum.  Is it really hard to believe that many creationists don't want their own religion taught as science even if they believe their religion is true?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies