2008 - John Kerry (D) vs John McCain (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:50:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 - John Kerry (D) vs John McCain (R)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008 - John Kerry (D) vs John McCain (R)  (Read 1774 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2008, 09:32:06 AM »

in a stunning upset, John Kerry manages to run an "I told you so" campaign in the 2008 Democratic primaries and secure victories in the early states after a collapse by frontrunner Hillary Clinton.  he quickly becomes the "anti-Hillary" and secures the nomination on Feb 5th, becoming the first retreaded loser to be nominated by a major party since 1968.

the GOP primary unfolds just as it did IRL

discuss Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:33:18 AM »

in a stunning upset, John Kerry manages to run an "I told you so" campaign in the 2008 Democratic primaries and secure victories in the early states after a collapse by frontrunner Hillary Clinton.  he quickly becomes the "anti-Hillary" and secures the nomination on Feb 5th, becoming the first retreaded loser to be nominated by a major party since 1968.

the GOP primary unfolds just as it did IRL

discuss Smiley

The race would be similar to how it is at present.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 09:35:33 AM »

Kerry is very strong in the Northeast and have some strength in the Mountain West.  He is able to make some inroads in the South.  He would cakewalk to an easy victory, but many see him as a sore loser.  But the truth is, the only Dem who could have ever lost this race was Obama:

Sen. John Kerry/Gov. Bill Richardson
Sen. John McCain/Fmr. Gov. Mitt Romney
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:10:30 AM »

But the truth is, the only Dem who could have ever lost this race was Obama:

Are you trying to say that if the likes of Congressman Dennis Kucinich or former Senator Mike Gravel were nominated by the Democratic Party in 2008 that they would have better success at winning the White House than Barack Obama? Boy, you confuse me on occasions.

As for this scenario it really depends on how John Kerry's first term as President of the United States would have turned out. My first thoughts of a Kerry presidency are quite negative, thus I would assume if everything went heywire for the Kerry/Edwards Administration that it would be an easy Republican victory. However, if Kerry was elected in 2004 over President Bush, John McCain wouldn't have been the GOP nominee. George Allen or Bill Frist probably would have been me thinks.
perdedor

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »

But the truth is, the only Dem who could have ever lost this race was Obama:

Are you trying to say that if the likes of Congressman Dennis Kucinich or former Senator Mike Gravel were nominated by the Democratic Party in 2008 that they would have better success at winning the White House than Barack Obama? Boy, you confuse me on occasions.

As for this scenario it really depends on how John Kerry's first term as President of the United States would have turned out.
My first thoughts of a Kerry presidency are quite negative, thus I would assume if everything went heywire for the Kerry/Edwards Administration that it would be an easy Republican victory. However, if Kerry was elected in 2004 over President Bush, John McCain wouldn't have been the GOP nominee. George Allen or Bill Frist probably would have been me thinks.

The scenario isn't based on if Kerry had been elected in 2004, only that he was nominated a second time in 2008.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 05:16:04 PM »

The scenario isn't based on if Kerry had been elected in 2004, only that he was nominated a second time in 2008.

Excuse my ignorance Sir. I thought it was a scenario where Kerry was elected in 2004, not re-nominated in 2008. However, if Senator Kerry was nominated for a second time in 2008 he would be leading Senator McCain in the polls, however I doubt he would be in the same position as Senator Obama is in now.
perdedor

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »

Excuse my ignorance Sir. I thought it was a scenario where Kerry was elected in 2004, not re-nominated in 2008. However, if Senator Kerry was nominated for a second time in 2008 he would be leading Senator McCain in the polls, however I doubt he would be in the same position as Senator Obama is in now.

You're likely right. The only presidential candidate in recent history that could shadow Kerry's ineptitude is John McCain.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 07:03:11 PM »

You're likely right. The only presidential candidate in recent history that could shadow Kerry's ineptitude is John McCain.

Oh I don't know. Kerry gets a bit of a bum rap. Bush was the favorite in '04, with an approval rating that hovered at about 50% -- which is basically what he got.

Kerry's a bit of a windbag and he doesn't have a lot of charisma, but he did an effective job of uniting the Democratic Party behind him and he crushed Bush in all three debates. He was the candidate with the momentum in the closing 6 weeks of the race, closing a 5-10 point Bush lead to a dead heat by election day.

Overall, McCain's campaign makes Kerry's (and Gore's) campaigns seem like geniuses.

Kerry's self-inflicted problems were the dallying response to the swift boats, the snorefest Dem convention, and several wounding statements about Iraq, namely (1) his statement that he would have "still" voted for the war, and (2) his for-it-before-he-was-against-it line.

Overall, though my own feeling is that Kerry did fairly well under the circumstances and I doubt any of the other '04 contenders would have done as well as he did. Edwards might have, but it was a national security election, not an economy election, and I doubt Edwards would have thrived in that context.

As for the subject of this thread -- Kerry would be ahead (I'd think pretty much any mainstream Dem would be ahead right now) -- but not by anywhere near as much as Obama. Kerry by 3-4 points, with narrow leads in Ohio and Florida.

As someone who defends Kerry from a lot of grief, there is no way he'd be doing better than Obama right now. Obama is simply a once-in-a-generation talent who is extremely well-positioned for this moment in time. And he's running the best presidential campaign in decades.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies