Has Obama already lost the "Money Battle?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:49:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Has Obama already lost the "Money Battle?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Has Obama already lost the "Money Battle?"  (Read 3315 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 03:24:06 PM »

End August cash-on-hand numbers:

DSCC - 33.7 Mio. $
NRSC - 26.8 Mio. $

DCCC - 54.0 Mio. $
NRCC - 14.4 Mio. $

Not a lot in the Senate and but about $40 M.  The question is, how much "shoring up."

The Vorlon figured an 80/20 split.  That would make it an $86 M gap.

I think you are taking Vorlon's "eighty cent" comment out of context; he was referring the effectiveness of using the RNC money directly for McCain after maneuvering through bureaucratic limitations and whatnot, not the percentage of the total RNC load he expected to be used on Congressional stuff.

There is not of bureaucratic difference between the McCain campaign getting a check and the RNC getting a check.

That statement doesn't even make any sense.

What he meant is RNC money is not as effective for McCain and is worth about $.80 of a dollar directly in McCain's campaign. The statement had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the RNC's work in Congressional elections.

BRTD, I doubt if there are "bureaucratic limitations and whatnot" between a donation to McCain and to the RNC, at least that would account for 20% of the donation.  The reporting requirements are the same.

He was referring to limitations on how it can be used, which therefore make it about roughly 80% of the value. He didn't mean bureaucratic limitations eat up 20% of the donations.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »

Exactly what BRTD said. Sorry I had not made myself more clear.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 06:51:08 PM »

Exactly what BRTD said. Sorry I had not made myself more clear.

And the limitations are?  Seriously?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »

Debate that with Vorlon, not with BRTD.  Vorlon is the one who said it.  Jesus you can be dense sometimes.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 08:08:36 PM »

Debate that with Vorlon, not with BRTD.  Vorlon is the one who said it.  Jesus you can be dense sometimes.

I can understand what the Vorlon said, in regard to splitting resources among different candidates, but not BRTD's spin on it.  BRTD and Bacon King were the two claiming this.  I'm unaware of any, which is why I asked the question.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »

Chronology:

1-Vorlon said that because of restrictions RNC money is only about roughly 80% as useful as campaign fund money.
2-J. J. takes this statement to mean something entirely different about Congressional elections.
3-Me and Bacon King correct him that what Vorlon meant was nothing like that at all.
4-J. J. asks me to expand on Vorlon's statement.

Basic logic implies Vorlon is the one to ask here, I never made his claim, I just corrected J. J. when he completely misrepresented it. How that's spin is beyond me (or how J. J. can honestly accuse anyone of spin).

J. J. also appears to still have not gotten it yet, since Vorlon's statement had nothing whatsoever to do with splitting resources among different candidates.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 08:24:02 PM »

Chronology:

1-Vorlon said that because of restrictions RNC money is only about roughly 80% as useful as campaign fund money.
2-J. J. takes this statement to mean something entirely different about Congressional elections.
3-Me and Bacon King correct him that what Vorlon meant was nothing like that at all.
4-J. J. asks me to expand on Vorlon's statement.

Basic logic implies Vorlon is the one to ask here, I never made his claim, I just corrected J. J. when he completely misrepresented it. How that's spin is beyond me (or how J. J. can honestly accuse anyone of spin).

J. J. also appears to still have not gotten it yet, since Vorlon's statement had nothing whatsoever to do with splitting resources among different candidates.

The Vorlon's statement didn't mention any limitations on the funds, merely that they were not as effective.  BRTD and Bacon King suggested that there was some limitations, the latter saying "bureaucratic limitations and whatnot" on the contributions.  I'm not familiar with what that would be and ask the guys who said it.

I'm curious to the "limitations."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 08:27:49 PM »

What Vorlon said:

A couple points...

Firstly, RNC money is not quite as good as campaign mopmey.. there are some restrictions - if you are clever you can mostly get around those, but not completelyt.

I would say an RNC dollar is worth maybe $0.80 versus an actual hard dollar in the campaugns coffers.

So he said "restrictions" instead of "limitations". You're making this a pointless semantics argument.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »

I was about to quote Vorlon's post in response to ya, JJ, but I see BRTD beat me to it. As you can see, the only "spin" I put on Vorlon's analysis was the use of a synonym. I don't rightly know what specifically these restrictions/limitations are, you'll have to ask Vorlon (and to be honest I'm a bit curious myself), but for what it's worth I was previously familiar with the notion.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 11:14:44 PM »

I was about to quote Vorlon's post in response to ya, JJ, but I see BRTD beat me to it. As you can see, the only "spin" I put on Vorlon's analysis was the use of a synonym. I don't rightly know what specifically these restrictions/limitations are, you'll have to ask Vorlon (and to be honest I'm a bit curious myself), but for what it's worth I was previously familiar with the notion.

The only "restriction," that would be different from McCain spending the money is that they can't, technically, co-ordinate with the McCain campaign  (the DNC would have a similar one, but they have much less money).  That's the only one I've heard of that would be different (and I'll disagree that this will make it only 80% effective).
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 12:57:04 AM »

Actually, when you consider that the Republican Senate incumbents are quite far ahead of their Democratic challengers, fundraising-wise, the GOP Senate committee doesn't really need any "boosting."
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 01:17:58 AM »

Actually, when you consider that the Republican Senate incumbents are quite far ahead of their Democratic challengers, fundraising-wise, the GOP Senate committee doesn't really need any "boosting."

Where you getting that? The FEC says otherwise.

http://www.fec.gov/DisclosureSearch/mapHSApp.do
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2008, 01:23:45 AM »

Each candidate can have his own committee to spend, and I don't believe there are any limits, so candidate to candidate might be much better.  There is also a limit that the RNC can give to Senate candidates.

I'm still wondering about those regulations.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies