Has an incumbent every made up the type of ground Corzine has to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:40:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Has an incumbent every made up the type of ground Corzine has to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Has an incumbent every made up the type of ground Corzine has to?  (Read 4930 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 09:44:59 PM »

It's New Jersey. I wouldn't  put it past them to vote in Corzine, I mean they did elect Christine Todd Whitman, and Jim McGreevey

What exactly do you have against Christie Whitman?  I suspect you don't like her because she is a moderate.  A true conservative would know that she represents true Conservatism.  The Republican Party may call her a moderate but she'll always be a true Conservative in my book.

I bet this gets put in the comedy goldmine.  And why?  Because a northern Republican doesn't want to keep gays from marrying and isn't pro life?  Right ok.

As far as McGreevey is concerned, the people of NJ didn't know he was going to turn out to be a hypocritical individual having gay sex and using his wife and children as cover.

I take issue with your statement as a Northern Republican who does want to keep Gays from marrying and is pro-life. Tongue

Whitman is as much a conservative as Jacob Javits or Nelson Rockefeller was. The identity crisis among moderate Republicans is upsurd. They call themselves Libertarians untill it comes time to vote on Spending and they vote for massive sums to be spent by the treasury. That title can at least be justified on social issues, but to call yourselves conservatives I think qualifies as impersonation Wink. You guys are not Libertarians and you guys are not conservatives. The beauty of it is, you don't have to be. I do beleive this is "Your Party Two" but I don't beleive its all your party. I also don't beleive you should mis-identify yourself and try to hide and deny people who don't hold your views the right to be in the party as well. But don't take it personally, on another thread I just criticized Jewish Conservative for doing the exact same thing only from the opposite direction.

But PA is Philly and Pittsburgh with "Alabama in between." Haha.

Oh, shut up!! Tongue.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 01:36:48 PM »

Wasn't Lewton Chiles trailing Jeb Bush by a lot in 1994, before the election?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 02:14:21 PM »

To all the Christine Whitman haters out there bitching about how unconservative she is:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Epic FF.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 08:06:56 PM »

To all the Christine Whitman haters out there bitching about how unconservative she is:

Epic FF.

Okay then shes a Libertarian. We can't redefine Conservatism as something it is not and never was. The Party however can incorporate differing views into it such as Libertarian, populist, moderately Liberal, etc etc; but an attempt to redefine conservatism itself back to a previous misrepresentation would be very dangerous for those that currently view themselves as Conservatives  who will believe that they have been completely abandone to benefit what in there view is essentially liberalism. Sooner or later Libertarians, moderates, populists, and conservatives have got to learn to live with each other again or all four will get nothing except what the Liberals are benevolent enought to give to them to benefit there electoral interests.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 03:45:18 PM »

With the state of NJ polling Corzine likely isn't down by more than 5-7 points, so he really isn't coming back from that much of a deficit.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 04:10:15 PM »

So... bottom line... it is impossible for an incumbent to make up the type of ground pollsters claim Corzine has to. Since it's (New Jersey / Alaska / any other states pollsters are crappy about) though, there is no reason to believe the pollsters tell the truth.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 05:33:14 PM »

There are a couple more races I can think of.  In 1992, incumbent Al D'Amato came back from a 15 point deficit in the summer to a 49%-48% victory.  That same year Arlen Spector came back from a twelve point deficit to beat Lynn Yeakel 49%-47%. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 05:27:12 PM »

No.  I am 99% sure of a Christie win.  And while I am really not a fan of Christie, good grief.  I have had more than enough of Corzine. 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 01:41:06 AM »

There are a couple more races I can think of.  In 1992, incumbent Al D'Amato came back from a 15 point deficit in the summer to a 49%-48% victory.  That same year Arlen Spector came back from a twelve point deficit to beat Lynn Yeakel 49%-47%. 

Jesse Helms trailed by 20 points in 1984 against Jim Hunt, though I'm not sure how late in the election season that was.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »

Epic FF.

No, sorry, that's liberalism.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 11:15:34 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2009, 11:31:25 AM by Mechman »

Epic FF.

Nowdays that would be more true.
IllinoisFreedomFighter
Rookie
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »

Epic FF.

Classical liberalism- yes, modern day liberalism- no
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies