The Decider's Biggest Blunder
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:19:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Decider's Biggest Blunder
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Which gets your vote as his worst blunder, policy or screwup?
Iraq quagmire

Katrina response

Banking, lending crisis

Abu Ghraid, Gitmo, Torture

U.S. Attorney Firing

Plamegate

Tax Cuts in Wartime

9-11 Preparedness

Warrantless Wiretapping, etc.

Other

None -- he's one of the great Presidents

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: The Decider's Biggest Blunder  (Read 5957 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2008, 04:20:15 PM »

Just curious...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »

I voted Iraq, but I think "failure to make any significant response to the climate crisis" will be what he's most demonized for by future historians.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:54:26 PM »

I voted Iraq, but I think "failure to make any significant response to the climate crisis" will be what he's most demonized for by future historians.

Good call.  I should have put that on the poll.  It's hard to keep track of them as they go by...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 05:36:33 PM »

Iraq, easy.  Some of the others you could argue against.  It's hard to argue against Iraq.  It's not that invading was wrong (again, arguable), but how it went down and the aftermath are clear funkups of epic proportions.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 05:37:50 PM »

They're all interrelated, but Iraq is really the biggest mess, since it spawned several of the other messes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 05:39:05 PM »

No chance.  If it does turn out as bad as the Global Warming Fundies think it will there will be a lot more people to blame than just Bush.

(and double idiot points if you think it's his fault because he didn't sign Kyoto)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 05:58:15 PM »

His attempt to push through a "comprehensive immigration reform" bill.  You know, amnesty, guest workers, no border security and no enforcement of laws currently on the books against employing illegal aliens.

He permanently enraged tens of millions of americans with the proposal and the really disgusting rhetoric he used to try to justify it.

Heck, even Nancy Pelosi is a stronger supporter of border security than Bush.

Bill Clinton had a better record at enforcing laws against employing illegal aliens than Bush.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 07:05:30 PM »

Iraq though the tax cuts for rich people really piss me off too.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 07:07:55 PM »

Tax cuts and Iraq, and it's not even close anywhere else.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 07:15:15 PM »

Not fighting our real enemy, illegal immigration
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 07:22:04 PM »

Not fighting our real enemy, illegal immigration in Afghanistan

That too.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 07:45:03 PM »

Tomorrow NASA will hold a press conference that will say that the solar wind is the weakest it has been in 50 years of records and that other indicators of solar intensity in the near future have dropped off the bottom of the charts to levels never seen before.

They will announce that this will have a noticeable impact not only on the earth, but on the entire solar system.

Until further notice, global warming has been canceled.

The planet has not warmed since 2002 and there has been a remarkable cooling of the planet in the past 18 months in the satellite record from nearly 0.7*F above the norm to right at the norm.  A 0.7*F cooling negates nearly the entire past century of warming.

What Bush should have been doing, is rather than fighting co2 emissions tooth and nail, is to combat emissions of much more potent greenhouse gases like Nitris Oxide and Methane while funding research heavily so we can figure out how much of an impact the minute changes on the sun has on our climate rather than just ignoring it and leaving everybody scratching their butts when it goes quiet and the planet loses a century of warming in 18 months.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 09:35:26 PM »

Oh God...all of them?

I voted for banking/lending to indicate that his total mismanagement of the economy, even more than Iraq, even more than Katrina, is why he will be remembered as one of our worst presidents.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »

Tomorrow NASA will hold a press conference that will say that the solar wind is the weakest it has been in 50 years of records and that other indicators of solar intensity in the near future have dropped off the bottom of the charts to levels never seen before.

They will announce that this will have a noticeable impact not only on the earth, but on the entire solar system.

The planet has not warmed since 2002 and there has been a remarkable cooling of the planet in the past 18 months in the satellite record from nearly 0.7*F above the norm to right at the norm.  A 0.7*F cooling negates nearly the entire past century of warming.
Even though I suspected this was bullsh**t, I checked the news sources to make sure.  My suspicions were, of course, correct.

I did, however, find this article:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/09/23/arctic.ice/index.html
Concerning ice disappearing more than ever in Arctic, suggesting that global warming has actually not been "cancelled."
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 03:14:52 PM »

How come this isn't multiple choice?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 03:51:42 PM »

I thought you were more worried about homosexuals than browns...
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 04:07:56 PM »

I thought you were more worried about homosexuals than browns...
I'm not worried about queers or browns, I'm worried about who enters the country undocumented
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »

Even though I suspected this was bullsh**t, I checked the news sources to make sure.  My suspicions were, of course, correct.

I did, however, find this article:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/09/23/arctic.ice/index.html
Concerning ice disappearing more than ever in Arctic, suggesting that global warming has actually not been "cancelled."

I invite you to read this:

http://www1.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/ulyssesr-20080923.html

Paying particular attention to:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, when they say "in 50 years" they actually mean "since we've been taking measurements".  As far as the measurements go, solar wind has decreased to levels never before recorded with accurate modern equipment.

The minimum of this solar cycle has surprised scientists and this, coupled with the changing of other ocean and atmospheric oscillations, has caused some scientists to predict that the earth will cool over the next 20 years.

I'll let you look that up yourself though, since I've already posted links in other threads.

One of the biggest debates in the climate change community is whether or not charged cosmic rays making it into the earth's atmosphere increase cloudcover, and thus cool the planet.  It is thought that though the sun's output changes have been minimal and wouldn't suggest more than a minute change in the earth's temperature, the weaker sun allows more cosmic radiation into the earth which thus increases cloudcover and reduces temperature.

This is why there is a strong correlation between earth's temperature and solar output.

As far as your article about Arctic ice... did I deny that the planet has warmed in the past 30 years and that Arctic ice has diminished to record low levels?  I'm not going to deny something as obvious as that.  In fact, I follow Arctic ice levels quite closely.

But the predictions of further ice loss are based on models that do not take into account significant changes in solar output or well documented ocean and atmospheric oscillations that can exaggerate or mask an underlying warming trend.  Instead, they just take into account a prefixed formula of so much Co2 equals so much warming and fire away. 

The warming trend of the past 30 years has been exaggerated by a positive Pacific Decadal Oscillation which favors warm water at the equator and warmer global temperatures.  During this time, cold water is stuck at the bottom of the ocean and it continues to cool until the oscillation switches and then the cold ocean water sucks heat out of the atmosphere and cools the planet.  This occurred from 1945-1975.

So let me say, because I think it is fair, that your link to CNN was bullsh**t as well.  Bullsh**t because it isn't science.  It's overheated crap.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 06:27:22 PM »

Not wiping Iraq & Syria off the map in one fell swoop by air.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 06:32:07 PM »

Iraq really ought to be slip into at least two items.

1. Going into Iraq
2. Botching the occupation of Iraq.

#1 did not necessarily have to lead to #2, and I imagine that there would be those who would consider #1 to have been a mistake, even if #2 had never happened.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 10:50:15 PM »

Taking the Oath of office.  He would have never had a chance to screw all those things up if he never became President.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 12:47:24 AM »

Iraq most likely. Had he never done that, he may very well have been looked at as a good President as most of us would see his work during 9/11 and the fight in Afghanistan as successes.

Everything that has gone wrong has stemmed mostly from Iraq and the anger a lot of people have towards that war. It is the reason Bush became so unpopular. Most of those other issues listed outside of the tax cuts were really not his fault. The current mess in the financial industry is hardly his fault. He doesn't run those companies, and the Abu Grahbe wasn't his fault either. Bush is a decent man who was surrounded by bad people and I honestly don't think he has much control over what's going on.

But if we never went into Iraq, chances are he'd be viewed as a great leader in this world. Prior to invading, wasn't his approvals at something like 75%? That was where he screwed up.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 12:53:19 AM »

Everything that has gone wrong has stemmed mostly from Iraq and the anger a lot of people have towards that war.

No. Enron. Katrina. Jobless recovery. Outsourcing. Housing bust. Dare I mention the sacred....9/11.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 01:13:05 AM »

Everything that has gone wrong has stemmed mostly from Iraq and the anger a lot of people have towards that war.

No. Enron. Katrina. Jobless recovery. Outsourcing. Housing bust. Dare I mention the sacred....9/11.

Katrina was bad. Enron wasn't his fault. The President doesn't create jobs. The President doesn't allow outsourcing of jobs or forbid it. It's part of the world economy. Bush didn't create or pop the bubble in the housing market anymore than Clinton created or popped the bubble in the Internet boom. And 9/11 wasn't his fault as the CIA was so badly broken down from the Clinton Administration that he didn't have time to fix it and he had been in office for a total of 7 months. The President doesn't have as much power of the economy as you seem to think.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 01:18:06 AM »

Iraq.  We went in without a plan / a really sucky plan.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies