Obama rally in Fredericksburg, VA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:52:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Obama rally in Fredericksburg, VA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama rally in Fredericksburg, VA  (Read 1358 times)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2008, 06:28:43 PM »
« edited: September 28, 2008, 06:32:16 PM by H.A.A.R.P. »

Yesterday I got to go to The University of Mary Washington to see Obama and Biden speak. Apparently, the campus wasn't expecting so many people to attent [yeah right...] and started turning people away a couple minutes after I had got in....so I lucked out big time. Apparently they estimated the crowd at 25,000 but maybe a few more. It was pretty ridiculous...and sadly my camera crapped out so I only got one decent picture so I don't have amazing photographs to share with everyone.

To start things off, around the time they both we're about to come out [around 5:15] it started to pour down rain. It didn't let up for another hour or so, so about 25,000 people stood in the pouring down rain and mud waiting for them to come out. It would even lightning a couple times but nobody left. Finally after about an hour or two it let up, and Obama and Biden both took the stage. It felt like I was at a concert, because everyone in the crowd flew forward almost bumrushing the stage. It was a madhouse, but it was all still worth it Tongue

Biden spoke first, about the economy and the debate. I think they are keeping up with the theme Obama made at the debate when he listed all the things McCain was wrong over...."Barack Obama was right...and John McCain was wrong!" yadda yadda. He spoke for a bit...then Obama came to the podium and OF COURSE....it began to rain again. His speech was actually really good, he spoke about the economy and the bailout plan and hit McCain hard over the "fundementals of the economy are strong" and a little bit about taxes, healthcare, green energy, and a subtle jab about the bridge to nowhere Tongue The evening ended with me and my friend Emily soaking wet and mud up to our knees. It was still a pretty amazing experience, and id definately like to do it again [minus the rain].

I wish I had taken more pictures, but the rain and crappy situation made it impossible. I thought id just share my experience instead. Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 06:31:25 PM »

Glad to know you liked it. Smiley
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »

It was fun. And I forgot to mention I shook Biden's hand [only briefly]. That was pretty cool too Tongue
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »

I'll bet. Though I always wonder what percent of the crowd consists of hardcore supporters whose votes aren't exactly won by the rally.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »

Damn.  I wish I'd known about this Sad
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »

Apparently it was really short notice. They announced he'd be in Fredericksburg about two days before the event. I was scrambling to find someone to fill in my shift at work...I was stressing thinking I wasn't going to be able to go.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 07:04:23 PM »

I love Fredericksburg.  I never need prompting to go there!  If it weren't for the horrible traffic, I'd want to live there.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2008, 07:15:25 PM by Torie »

I love Fredericksburg.  I never need prompting to go there!  If it weren't for the horrible traffic, I'd want to live there.

My Dad worked hard as a Brooklyn boy to get into the pants of a belle from Fredericksburg, and took the train down most every weekend for awhile. In the end he failed, but learned the "manners,"  of the Southern elite. (My Dad was this quite interesting chap who transcended class, and was classless, who seemed to swim with the sans culottes as well as he swam with the British upper class elite who ran the record company that he worked for. I can't quite put my finger on it, as to just how he managed it all.) In any event, he made the mistake of seeing her about 35 years later, and found her to be a frumpy provincial airbrain. Hormones can be dangerous. He become life long friends with her brother however, and they corresponded for about 50 years, until one of them assumed room temperature. Life is just so interesting isn't it?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »

My Dad worked hard as a Brooklyn boy to get into the pants of a belle from Fredericksburg, and took the train down most every weekend for awhile. In the end he failed, but learned the "manners,"  of the Southern elite. (My Dad was this quite interesting chap who transcended class, and was classless, who seemed to swim with the sans culottes as well as he swam with the British upper class elite who ran the record company that he worked for. I can't quite put my finger on it, as to just how he managed it all.) In any event, he made the mistake of seeing her about 35 years later, and found her to be a frumpy provincial airbrain. Hormones can be dangerous. He become life long friends with her brother however, and they corresponded for about 50 years, until one of them assumed room temperature. Life is just so interesting isn't it?

Indeed, it is. 

I was afraid you were going to tell me that your father personally advised General Burnside not to cross the river. 

You're old, Torie.  But not THAT old!  :-)!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies