Your parents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:13:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your parents
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Are they
Married to each other

Divorced from each other

Never married to each other

Widowed

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Your parents  (Read 5357 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2008, 11:48:31 PM »

Well, DC_united convinced me to spill my guts, so here goes:

My father was named Benjamin William Martin. He was of English descent, though he was born in Michigan. He was a high school Math teacher. He died in a car crash in Los Angeles.

My mother is named Jacalyn Toni Drexler (yes, I took her last name instead of my father's last name). She's a trial lawyer. She usually works on juvenile & appelate cases, though she also works as a prosecutor & a criminal defense attorney. She was born in San Francisco, & is of mixed Spanish & German descent.

They lived in Los Angeles when I was born. My mother & I moved back to San Francisco when I was three to take care of my grandparents (who were then in their early 80s). So that's that. Tongue
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2008, 11:51:28 PM »

You did it was it that bad. I bet they appreciate that you trust them enough to tell them everything.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2008, 11:56:30 PM »

My father was named Benjamin William Martin. He was of English descent, though he was born in Michigan. He was a high school Math teacher. He died in a car crash in Los Angeles.

My mother is named Jacalyn Toni Drexler (yes, I took her last name instead of my father's last name). She's a trial lawyer. She usually works on juvenile & appelate cases, though she also works as a prosecutor & a criminal defense attorney. She was born in San Francisco, & is of mixed Spanish & German descent.

They lived in Los Angeles when I was born. My mother & I moved back to San Francisco when I was three to take care of my grandparents (who were then in their early 80s). So that's that. Tongue

You're from San Francisco? Ouch, I'm so sorry!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2008, 11:58:08 PM »

I was born in Santa Monica & lived in Los Angeles until the age of three. I have lived in San Francisco since then.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2008, 11:59:52 PM »

I was born in Santa Monica & lived in Los Angeles until the age of three. I have lived in San Francisco since then.

I couldn't imagine living in that place. It's pretty and all, but if I lived in California, I'd live in Orange County. I couldn't take all that liberalness on a daily basis. Plus, Nancy Pelosi as my congresswoman? Yuck!
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »

well you aren't living here so get over it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2008, 12:13:01 AM »

I couldn't imagine living in that place. It's pretty and all, but if I lived in California, I'd live in Orange County. I couldn't take all that liberalness on a daily basis. Plus, Nancy Pelosi as my congresswoman? Yuck!

People I've known, regardless of ideology, have noted how nice people in San Francisco are.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2008, 01:57:28 AM »

There are two other kids in my class who are Republicans. One is a right-libertarian like I am. The other is really conservative though, & he constantly complains about how he hates it in San Francisco.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2008, 03:24:24 AM »

Married since 1985, I think.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2008, 10:04:20 AM »

Divorced.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2008, 02:36:42 PM »

Haha, married of course, and since the 1950s, when I believe there was no choice.  And now that they're old and shrivelled up, life holds no charms outside of marriage (not that there are many in it). 

I suppose they're helpmates and partners - that's what marriage is suppose to be I guess.  I don't know, it was probably a 'success' in the generally accepted sense - stayed together, moved from poverty to some wealth, worked hard, reproduced.  It still seems so pointless and senseless viewed one way.. particularly viewed in retrospect from the decrepitude of age.

Typical american lives - sort of unhappy in spite of everything, but hard to pin down why.  Worry, anxiety, and disatisfaction certainly.  No doubt the idea of sexual fulfillment never entered that generation's heads so lack thereof is not what I'm getting at.  Just a sense of - constantly being driven towards ideals swallowed whole, things they were 'supposed to' do... I'm hardly one to criticisize, being such a nihilist, but I do think I can say with a degree of certainty that they are unhappy.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »

Married since the late 1980s

This would interesting to have a partisan/geographical look at
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2008, 05:53:54 PM »

Mom and Dad married in 1945.  He was 31 and she was 18.  Dad died just before Thanksgiving of last year, so they made it to their 62 anniversary.  He was a great husband to her.  Sometimes too good.  But what I admire most is that he never even looked at another woman.  He was completely devoted.  I've never cheated on my Missus, but I've been tempted.

Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2008, 08:50:54 PM »

Mom and Dad married in 1945.  He was 31 and she was 18.  Dad died just before Thanksgiving of last year, so they made it to their 62 anniversary.  He was a great husband to her.  Sometimes too good.  But what I admire most is that he never even looked at another woman.  He was completely devoted.  I've never cheated on my Missus, but I've been tempted.

very commendable. More than I can say for a lot of people I know of.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2008, 08:26:51 AM »

Married since the late 1980s

This would interesting to have a partisan/geographical look at

Both my parents are Republicans, FWIW, but not of the social conservative type.

Having a divorce imposed upon her certainly affects my mother's voting habits. She hates Bill Clinton for what he did and Hillary Clinton for putting up with it and staying with him. She hasn't expressed any such views for McCain's divorcing his first wife, though.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2008, 09:11:20 AM »

My parents have been married for 33 years now
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2008, 05:28:28 PM »

Divorced since I was a young child.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2008, 05:42:46 PM »

Married 1987, Divorced 2003
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2008, 06:01:47 PM »

Smiley

Anyway, yeah they're married.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2008, 06:30:27 PM »

Smiley

Anyway, yeah they're married.

Ew, Orange County.

Wink

Which county is that giant Assyrian-themed mall in?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies