McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:22:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate  (Read 15182 times)
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:07:13 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26872907/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:08:06 PM »

It's too bad he can't just quit for good.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:08:49 PM »

What a joke.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 02:09:23 PM »

Is this a joke or what? A political-free zone to take a purely political decision in? Surely the exact details of the bailout belong into the Presidential Debate.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »

Is this a joke or what? A political-free zone to take a purely political decision in? Surely the exact details of the bailout belong into the Presidential Debate.

Well, theoretically this debate is supposed to be about foreign policy, although the odds of half the questions not being economy-related was near-zero anyway. Frankly, this is just a stupid plan; neither of them is President, so it isn't as if either has the power to enact a solution right now anyway.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 02:11:43 PM »

It's the foreign policy debate. McCain thinks he wins on foreign policy. If they hold the debate this week, they both seem tone-deaf, no one cares what McCain says, and then they go back to talking about the very unfavorable ground of economic policy. Hence the postponement, which Obama would be insane to agree to.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »

WTF? The debates aren't supposed to be theater unlike the conventions. If you guys are discussing important matters in DC, then come back and let the American public in on the details as well.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 02:13:24 PM »

Obama surrogates need to hit McCain hard on the afternoon/evening news shows for this. "Will he ask terrorists to suspend the war on terror?", etc. Shows a real weakness and lack of leadership/multi-tasking ability on his part.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 02:13:32 PM »

Well, theoretically this debate is supposed to be about foreign policy, although the odds of half the questions not being economy-related was near-zero anyway. Frankly, this is just a stupid plan; neither of them is President, so it isn't as if either has the power to enact a solution right now anyway.

The Democrats said they won't pass a bill unless they have McCain's vote in the Senate. They're not stupid enough to construct a piņata only for him to whack it to pieces. He is involved, and he'd rather not be.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 02:15:12 PM »

Actually, now I hear that Obama is saying they called McCain first to suspend the campaign this morning.  I'm amused.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 02:17:29 PM »

Brilliant, imo.  It's a headline grabber and plays perfectly into the Country First theme.  Despite my dislike for Rick Davis, he's a pretty smart guy.  Camp McCain one ups Obama again.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 02:17:37 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2008, 02:22:00 PM by jmfcst »

Obama surrogates need to hit McCain hard on the afternoon/evening news shows for this. "Will he ask terrorists to suspend the war on terror?", etc.

somehow, I don't think the two equate
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 02:18:52 PM »

Actually, now I hear that Obama is saying they called McCain first to suspend the campaign this morning.  I'm amused.
Well, if that's true then Roll Eyes at both sides.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 02:19:04 PM »

Brilliant, imo.  It's a headline grabber and plays perfectly into the Country First theme.  Despite my dislike for Rick Davis, he's a pretty smart guy.  Camp McCain one ups Obama again.

Why do you think Obama's people are saying - I did it first.  You're a smart guy, nick, always.  Smiley
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 02:20:46 PM »

Mccain:  i'd rather lose an election than lose an...ecconomy.

I can see it now.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 02:22:08 PM »

Brilliant, imo.  It's a headline grabber and plays perfectly into the Country First theme.  Despite my dislike for Rick Davis, he's a pretty smart guy.  Camp McCain one ups Obama again.

Why do you think Obama's people are saying - I did it first.  You're a smart guy, nick, always.  Smiley

Hey, I didn't say it wasn't a smart campaign move. That doesn't make it not a stupid stunt, no matter which of them initiated it.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »

Wow both campaigns are retarded. I guess that's nothing new.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 02:29:17 PM »

Why wait a week to suspend? Why not suspend straight after the crash? Or did McCain want to wait to see where the polls would go.

This is daft. Obama should probably agree to suspend 'til Friday but suggest the first debate to be changed back to domestic policy. The American people deserve to hear the candidates debate about the economy.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 02:29:56 PM »

this might panic Americans, who, for the most part, don't understand the depth of the crisis
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »

Interesting action.  I'll have to check to see if there were any similar suspensions in prior elections.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »

Why wait a week to suspend? Why not suspend straight after the crash? Or did McCain want to wait to see where the polls would go.

This is daft. Obama should probably agree to suspend 'til Friday but suggest the first debate to be changed back to domestic policy. The American people deserve to hear the candidates debate about the economy.

Here's how it went.

As the week went on, the status of the bailout got murkier, and more people got mixed into the discussion as Congress rejected the blank check approach. So, this thing could take any kind of shape, and whatever shape it takes, will have a big impact on the next President's responsibilities. It also became clear that both sides see this bill as a way to stick it to the other party's candidate.

So, Obama calls McCain to say, let's get back to work on this, come up with a bill we can both live with, and seal ourselves in what amounts to a suicide pact so neither one could use the bill against the other. Good.

The McCain campaign seizes this as a chance to get out of the debates they figured they'd lose.

Now we'll see what happens.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »

Here's how it went.

As the week went on, the status of the bailout got murkier, and more people got mixed into the discussion as Congress rejected the blank check approach. So, this thing could take any kind of shape, and whatever shape it takes, will have a big impact on the next President's responsibilities. It also became clear that both sides see this bill as a way to stick it to the other party's candidate.

So, Obama calls McCain to say, let's get back to work on this, come up with a bill we can both live with, and seal ourselves in what amounts to a suicide pact so neither one could use the bill against the other. Good.

The McCain campaign seizes this as a chance to get out of the debates they figured they'd lose.

where are you getting this from?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 02:41:58 PM »

According to the AP, the Obama camp is not saying they support suspending the campaign or the debates at this moment.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »

Obama surrogates need to hit McCain hard on the afternoon/evening news shows for this. "Will he ask terrorists to suspend the war on terror?", etc. Shows a real weakness and lack of leadership/multi-tasking ability on his part.

I hope they do. Because we all know political theater is more important than the financial crisis.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »

Here's how it went.

where are you getting this from?

Talking Points Memo for today's news; my reading of the papers for the rest of it. The timeline of what was proposed and when is as solid as anything we know. The speculation about why McCain wants to can the debate is my own, but it seems pretty obvious.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies