McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:24:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: McCain suspends campaign temporarily and asks for postponement of debate  (Read 15181 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 02:42:56 PM »

According to the AP, Obama's campaign called McCain's campaign at 8:30, then McCain called Obama at 2:30.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »

Why would Mccain want to ditch the debate on foreign policy? That makes no sense. In any case the debate will be postponed and not canceled right?
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »

7 days ago, McCain told the American people that the economy was fundamentally sound.

7 days later, McCain told the American people that the economy was in crisis.

That should be Obama's attack line at the debate.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 02:45:55 PM »

Obama surrogates need to hit McCain hard on the afternoon/evening news shows for this. "Will he ask terrorists to suspend the war on terror?", etc. Shows a real weakness and lack of leadership/multi-tasking ability on his part.

I hope they do. Because we all know political theater is more important than the financial crisis.

and that's not what the McCain campaign is doing with this move?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 02:47:07 PM »

According to the AP, Obama's campaign called McCain's campaign at 8:30, then McCain called Obama at 2:30.

thanks.  link?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 02:48:25 PM »

I'm fine with this if they move the debate from a Friday night to a weekday. But this is obviously nothing more than a political stunt on the part of whichever side initiated it first.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »

Wait...what?

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 02:50:27 PM »

Obama camp:  "The debate is on."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/mccain-not-comm.html
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 02:50:44 PM »

Obama surrogates need to hit McCain hard on the afternoon/evening news shows for this. "Will he ask terrorists to suspend the war on terror?", etc. Shows a real weakness and lack of leadership/multi-tasking ability on his part.

I hope they do. Because we all know political theater is more important than the financial crisis.

and that's not what the McCain campaign is doing with this move?

Deciding to go back to Washington and push for something to get done and calling Bush to tell him to get to work is more useful than making stump speeches and preparing for a debate.

If this thing fails, the markets will drop 1,000-2,000 points. I don't know about you, but I can go a few days without campaigning to ensure I don't lose my trust fund.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 02:51:23 PM »

Why wait a week to suspend? Why not suspend straight after the crash? Or did McCain want to wait to see where the polls would go.

This is daft. Obama should probably agree to suspend 'til Friday but suggest the first debate to be changed back to domestic policy. The American people deserve to hear the candidates debate about the economy.

Here's how it went.

As the week went on, the status of the bailout got murkier, and more people got mixed into the discussion as Congress rejected the blank check approach. So, this thing could take any kind of shape, and whatever shape it takes, will have a big impact on the next President's responsibilities. It also became clear that both sides see this bill as a way to stick it to the other party's candidate.

So, Obama calls McCain to say, let's get back to work on this, come up with a bill we can both live with, and seal ourselves in what amounts to a suicide pact so neither one could use the bill against the other. Good.

The McCain campaign seizes this as a chance to get out of the debates they figured they'd lose.

Now we'll see what happens.

where are you getting this from?

Talking Points Memo for today's news; my reading of the papers for the rest of it. The timeline of what was proposed and when is as solid as anything we know. The speculation about why McCain wants to can the debate is my own, but it seems pretty obvious.

The Daily Kos talking points?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 02:51:42 PM »

thanks.  link?

Link

Why would Mccain want to ditch the debate on foreign policy? That makes no sense. In any case the debate will be postponed and not canceled right?

The McCain camp says they want the bill resolved before the Markets open on Monday, so delaying the debate to say Tuesday of next week would make sense according to their goal.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 02:52:46 PM »

Why wait a week to suspend? Why not suspend straight after the crash? Or did McCain want to wait to see where the polls would go.

This is daft. Obama should probably agree to suspend 'til Friday but suggest the first debate to be changed back to domestic policy. The American people deserve to hear the candidates debate about the economy.

Here's how it went.

As the week went on, the status of the bailout got murkier, and more people got mixed into the discussion as Congress rejected the blank check approach. So, this thing could take any kind of shape, and whatever shape it takes, will have a big impact on the next President's responsibilities. It also became clear that both sides see this bill as a way to stick it to the other party's candidate.

So, Obama calls McCain to say, let's get back to work on this, come up with a bill we can both live with, and seal ourselves in what amounts to a suicide pact so neither one could use the bill against the other. Good.

The McCain campaign seizes this as a chance to get out of the debates they figured they'd lose.

Talking Points Memo for today's news; my reading of the papers for the rest of it. The timeline of what was proposed and when is as solid as anything we know. The speculation about why McCain wants to can the debate is my own, but it seems pretty obvious.

They're reposting campaign statements about which campaign claims they called whom. If there's anything at the site you specifically care to take issue with...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »

Here's how it went.

They're reposting campaign statements about which campaign claims they called whom. If there's anything at the site you specifically care to take issue with...

We've done Kos Bashing threads already, but I was curious.  Wink
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 02:55:40 PM »

I read in an abcnews article that Obama called Mac this morning and called for a joint statement on principles.  Mac called back at 2:30 and said he was suspending his campaign and heading back to D.C.

that's a tad different than what you stated
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 02:56:40 PM »

We've done Kos Bashing threads already, but I was curious.  Wink

I do place TPM on a different plane from Kos, and the front pagers of either site several light years ahead of any diary that gets posted to those places, including the recommended diaries.

Kos is more of a loose cannon. Joshua Micah Marshall is a journalist who supports the Democrats, and I have a great deal of respect for him.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 02:57:33 PM »

I read in an abcnews article that Obama called Mac this morning and called for a joint statement on principles.  Mac called back at 2:30 and said he was suspending his campaign and heading back to D.C.

We'll have to see what happens. The Obama camp is already pushing back on the McCain camp's statements and is demanding to debate.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 03:03:10 PM »

I read in an abcnews article that Obama called Mac this morning and called for a joint statement on principles.  Mac called back at 2:30 and said he was suspending his campaign and heading back to D.C.

We'll have to see what happens. The Obama camp is already pushing back on the McCain camp's statements and is demanding to debate.

well, I don't think Obama has a choice.  He can't stand by himself on a stage in Mississippi while McCain is back in D.C. doing the job he was elected to do.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »

Not quite, not yet.  There is a danger.  He says debate the market slumps tomorrow and it's Obama's fault.  

This is actually a great time for both candidates to look bipartisan.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 03:06:47 PM »

I think the proper term would be non-partisan.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 03:08:34 PM »

Not quite, not yet.  There is a danger.  He says debate the market slumps tomorrow and it's Obama's fault.  

Obama isn't a bipartisan figure, so I expect he'll push for the debate. If McCain doesn't show and goes back to Washington, who knows what will happen.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »

What the hell is this? I take a nap and wake up to this? This is the stupidest thing I've ever. The McCain camp deserves to lose in a 50 state landslide after this one if what I'm reading is true. Isn't this the guy who wanted like 27 town hall debates? Give me a break.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2008, 03:11:16 PM »

I say it's a good move, I'm just scared what McCain will do with the bailout bill.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »

I say it's a good move, I'm just scared what McCain will do with the bailout bill.

I am opposed to it, but I'm starting to think it's necessary to pass. They are talking like if it fails the markets could drop 1000-2000 points. I don't want to lose my trust fund.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2008, 03:13:44 PM »

Political  theatre at it's finest. I really hope people don't buy this bullsh*t.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 03:16:49 PM »

Political  theatre at it's finest. I really hope people don't buy this bullsh*t.

there is no reason Obama and McCain can't suspend campaigning until this bill gets passed this weekend.  they can reschedule the debate to Tuesday.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies