in the event of 269-269
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:27:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  in the event of 269-269
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: in the event of 269-269  (Read 1903 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:19:05 PM »

...who does Joe Lieberman vote for as VP, Biden or Palin?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »

Palin
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:22:32 PM »

Lieberman4Jesus?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 02:25:01 PM »

Lieberman4Democrats
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »

I seriously doubt it. Some Republicans, yes (Pawlenty, maybe). But not Palin, I don't think.

Of course, I would expect a lot of Republican Senators to vote for Biden as a show of unity after Obama won in the House (Snowe, Collins, Specter, Smith if he's still around, Coleman if he's still around, Lugar, Hatch, some others).
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 02:29:20 PM »

He'll vote for Biden.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:32:46 PM »

Neither. He's going to maneuver to get himself nominated and elected as the independent, bipartisan option.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 02:38:28 PM »

Neither. He's going to maneuver to get himself nominated and elected as the independent, bipartisan option.

you're talking about 2012?  he's finished, dude
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 02:41:44 PM »

No; if the VP choice goes to the Senate, they don't have to choose Palin or Biden. Given that choice, you'd have to think that Republicans would be very, very eager to choose one of their own in Palin's place. They're making happy noises now, but they don't respect her and don't want her around. A Republican wouldn't win, but I'm sure Joe Lieberman convinces himself he could get Republican support and enough Democrats to emerge as a compromise pick. Beside, he sees himself as a man of destiny.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »

No; if the VP choice goes to the Senate, they don't have to choose Palin or Biden. Given that choice, you'd have to think that Republicans would be very, very eager to choose one of their own in Palin's place. They're making happy noises now, but they don't respect her and don't want her around. A Republican wouldn't win, but I'm sure Joe Lieberman convinces himself he could get Republican support and enough Democrats to emerge as a compromise pick. Beside, he sees himself as a man of destiny.

I would vomit if that were to happen. Hopefully, Obama would send Lieberman to undisclosed locations for the duration of his presidency.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 02:53:41 PM »

I seriously doubt it. Some Republicans, yes (Pawlenty, maybe). But not Palin, I don't think.

Of course, I would expect a lot of Republican Senators to vote for Biden as a show of unity after Obama won in the House (Snowe, Collins, Specter, Smith if he's still around, Coleman if he's still around, Lugar, Hatch, some others).

Verily, Lieberman's slighty unpredictable don't you think?  I mean who woulda thunk not long ago he'd end up at the RNC in MN?
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 03:22:20 PM »

Verily, Lieberman's slighty unpredictable don't you think?  I mean who woulda thunk not long ago he'd end up at the RNC in MN?

More than two years ago, anyone paying attention.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »

Biden

I really don't think many people are sick enough to put in a Democratic President and a Republican Vice President (and vice versa). It would be a disaster and there really isn't a partisan advantage to it.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 04:55:08 PM »

Himself. He loves himself.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 05:07:52 PM »

Biden

I really don't think many people are sick enough to put in a Democratic President and a Republican Vice President (and vice versa). It would be a disaster and there really isn't a partisan advantage to it.

if McCain won the House balloting (which would be a shocker but if it were to somehow happen) then it'd be silly for the Dems to roll over in the Senate and give the VP to Palin, as McCain may well die in his first term. 

I'm sure they would roll over though, assuming the Prez balloting went first and the results were known.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 05:14:10 PM »

Biden

if McCain won the House balloting (which would be a shocker but if it were to somehow happen) then it'd be silly for the Dems to roll over in the Senate and give the VP to Palin, as McCain may well die in his first term. 

I'm sure they would roll over though, assuming the Prez balloting went first and the results were known.

I believe the House would vote first. If it was known that McCain won in the House then of course Lieberman would vote for Palin. Then it's a question of how Hagel votes. If Hagel goes for Palin, we're at a 50-50 tie. Then what the hell happens?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 05:14:52 PM »

Biden

I believe the House would vote first. If it was known that McCain won in the House then of course Lieberman would vote for Palin. Then it's a question of how Hagel votes. If Hagel goes for Palin, we're at a 50-50 tie. Then what the hell happens?

Cheney breaks the tie?

and wouldn't it be the new Congress voting on it?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »

Biden

It would be the new Congress. At the very least, there would be M. Warren and an Udall in it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 05:16:45 PM »

Biden

It would be the new Congress. At the very least, there would be M. Warren and an Udall in it.

Ah, that's right.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 06:54:12 PM »

Biden

Unless the Republicans do the unimaginable and gain a Senate seat this election, there is no way a tie results in a Republican Vice President regardless of what Lieberman does in this hypothetical.  The way the rule is written, it takes 51 Senators, not 50 plus the Vice President to settle the tie. (Nor would a vote of 50-49 settle the issue.)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 08:47:14 PM »

No; if the VP choice goes to the Senate, they don't have to choose Palin or Biden.

Actually, yes they do.  Read your 12th Amendment again.  It's the top 2 finishers, only, so unless more than a quarter of the electors defect, it will be between Palin & Biden.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies